Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 11:57:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How can I trust an altcoin when...  (Read 1650 times)
Geiger (OP)

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2015, 01:34:07 PM

I wanted to play around with some altcoins but many of the main websites are sketch at best.  For example when checking out UltraCoin, their recommended miner has spyware in it.  What altcoins can you trust?
Mountain Jew

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 01:38:45 PM

Don't download the crappy new coins that spring up, go for an established one and only download a client from a trusted source. I'd still not instal any alt coin wallets on a computer that had bitcoins on just to be safe.
spud21

Activity: 342
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 02:13:18 PM

If you don't want to take chances then install any new wallets in a virtual machine like vmware. Don't risk installing them directly on your computer.
DecentralizeEconomics
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1042

White Male Libertarian Bro

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 04:18:43 AM

What altcoins can you trust?

NXT

"Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties." - Areopagitica
MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2015, 05:34:27 AM

I wanted to play around with some altcoins but many of the main websites are sketch at best.  For example when checking out UltraCoin, their recommended miner has spyware in it.  What altcoins can you trust?

Most coins with team members/developers that use their real names and have been around for years you can trust.
Kimowa

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 06:17:57 AM

nxt is one of the best out there and very different from regular coins

spartak_t
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1176

@FAILCommunity

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2015, 08:19:23 AM

The guy is not asking for cheerleaders of their beloved coins. Sometimes you can just answer what you think, instead using another thread to say how much you are in love with your cryptocurrency.

generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2015, 08:30:43 AM

"Trust cannot be learned, purchased, or acquired-- it can only be earned." -Anonymous

Earning takes time, so asking others for recommendations is probably a bad starting point. Maybe figure out what's most important to you in a coin and then work out which coins have best implemented those features and have the most trust worthy community and devs.

Crestington
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1024

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 09:45:47 AM
Last edit: May 21, 2015, 09:58:01 AM by Crestington

I wanted to play around with some altcoins but many of the main websites are sketch at best.  For example when checking out UltraCoin, their recommended miner has spyware in it.  What altcoins can you trust?

Most coins with team members/developers that use their real names and have been around for years you can trust.

Using real names can be faked, "Proof of Developer" was used with many fake ids in order to give the illusion of trust. Basically you can't trust anyone but if they've been around for a while and people aren't complaining about them then they are probably trustworthy. I've had one issue where I paid for some work and the guy was complaining he suffered from massive migraines and then updated Skype that he was in the hospital and then never heard from him again, the work he did for me was a bit shoddy but he kinda delivered and the source was clean. It was a clone of communitycoin and I learnt a fair bit using that source, it was getting him to add in coin control in which I paid 0.5 BTC and then he disappeared so if anything I only overpaid a bit but other than that I haven't had any real issues with people I've met.

I also don't trust newbies and wouldn't download anything from anyone unless getting to know them first, also they could have bought their account. Not sharing personal information freely doesn't make a person untrustworthy, if they've been around for ages then there are probably lots of people that know who they are but just don't share their private information out of respect.

"Trust cannot be learned, purchased, or acquired-- it can only be earned." -Anonymous

Earning takes time, so asking others for recommendations is probably a bad starting point. Maybe figure out what's most important to you in a coin and then work out which coins have best implemented those features and have the most trust worthy community and devs.

This is good advice.
testz
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1018

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 07:29:08 PM

What altcoins can you trust?

BitShares

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
 ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
     ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄
████▄▄        ▀▀██████████████████
█████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████████
█████████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████
██████████████████▄▄        ▀▀████
▀██████████████████████▄▄
  ▀▀████████████████████████
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Semux uses .100% original codebase.
  Superfast with .30 seconds instant finality.
  Tested .5000 tx per block. on open network
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
batesresearch
Legendary

Activity: 2424
Merit: 1148

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2015, 08:12:19 PM

Good feedback. It is hard to find the best place to start. As people state set up a VM, download the wallet, use monitoring tools and keep an eye out. See if others are talking about the coin, see social media and BCT and other crypto websites read up but remember just because a thousand people are raving about a coin doesn't mean its trustworthy.

Visit Satoshi's Place, a Bitcoin Hub based in Bury, Manchester, UK.
Goals: Educate & Onboard users in to Bitcoin. Lightning network⚡️
Bigjohnson124

Activity: 293
Merit: 100

Netcoins are the best coins!

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2015, 07:59:58 PM

Netcoin (NET) active team going on two years. Lots of blood, sweat, and tears have went into Netcoin.

It is hard to trust altcoins with so many of them. I like old coins that are still around. There are a few good new coins out there but they are hard to find.
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 08:02:08 PM

Joulecoin is legit.

Quite small, uses SHA-256 so you can use a bitcoin miner to mine it.  Won't cost much to get coins.
benthach
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2015, 08:22:07 PM

good answer

reddit btcwriter1 - twitter kingpininvestor
C10H15N

Activity: 858
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 08:33:40 PM

Anything in the top ten.  http://www.cryptocoinrank.com/

Only when the tide goes out do you discover who's been swimming naked. -Warren Buffett
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 08:39:25 PM

I wanted to play around with some altcoins but many of the main websites are sketch at best.  For example when checking out UltraCoin, their recommended miner has spyware in it.  What altcoins can you trust?

nope.

this is very bad advice.. BIG TIME !

many of these guys simply set you all up for a "scenario"
such as.. whoooopsy "I wuz haxed"

edit:
and so called "real" identities can be faked / made up easily or rented etc.

FUD first & ask questions later™
solid12345
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 11:14:23 PM

Anything in the top ten.  http://www.cryptocoinrank.com/

lol this site is a joke, Cinnicoin at #10 with $ 101,084 volume? Whose ass are they pulling those numbers out of it?
Sumo

Activity: 1098
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 02:41:08 AM

He used the word trust and crypto in the same sentence lol You cant trust any of them. They are all here to get your money. If you can outsmart them, you can take theirs. Thus is the game of crypto. Buyer beware!
H.W.Z

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 03:47:13 AM

Never trust a new coins with new dev. Unless they exist for a while. The dev team is active, and the features is innovative and developed continually. It gains a lot of trust from ppl.

stallion

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 28, 2015, 03:03:25 AM

New alts are like ponzi. You must leave before the colapse.
Timing is the most important in crypto. Don´t be the last bag holder.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: