Bitcoin Forum
October 21, 2024, 12:01:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 28.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: can't get anywhere  (Read 1136 times)
fwinoker (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 12:10:55 AM

Using bitcoins seems secondary to using PGP. Both PGP desktop and GPG wrecked my machine! I didn't think I could get it back. Where can i find a program that really works? Windows 7. 64 bit. I need step by step easy to follow instructions. Please! Maybe after I could achieve this, I can get some bitcoins,
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4480
Merit: 3398

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 12:14:23 AM

Step 1. Go to blockchain.info.
Step 2. Click on "Wallet"
Step 3. Click on "Start a new Wallet"
Step 4. Save a copy your identifier and your password somewhere offline.
Step 5. Download a backup of your wallet.
Step 6. Use it.

I'm not sure what PGP and GPG have to do with bitcoin or how they could wreck your machine.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
fdylstyx

Activity: 158
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 01:27:33 AM

I'm one of those guys that doesn't understand a lot but I do know a little bit of knowledge is dangerous.

I've got Windows 7 pro 64bit but for some reason only 32bit Java and am too jittery to move to 64bit because I don't know what it's ll do to my computer and my understanding is it's important for me to have 64bit Java to get certain programs to run in the cryptosphere.

I did manage to get a wallet from blockchain.info and create an address to receive btc, I used what I believe to be a strong password but I still don't bother backing my wallet up. I'm afraid I'd mess it up. They keep asking me to improve my security by giving my phone number but that makes me nervous too.

Still I was able to open an account at Poloniex a couple of weeks ago, take a couple of positions that seem to me to be promising but still I'm worried that my limited knowledge about computers in general is keeping me shy of getting more involved in this new economy.

I can afford to lose what I'm playing with now but taking a long position with an eye to a set goal of gains makes the play rather boring now. I'd like to get a better understanding through hands on experience so I'm ready to input more fiat.

I just wonder where there might be a place where I can learn the basics of securing my wallet(s), for now I'm comfortable writing everything down on paper, then I backup by taking pictures of both my computer screen as well as my keys (identifiers?) and passwords on an old smartphone that is no longer being used for other purposes.

So do I need to update to Java 64bit? And how do I get a password generator from the internet to my old phone. I do have the old desktop version for syncing and upgrades for the phone. Can I safely transfer a password generator to my phone and then be able to use it without service or connection to the internet? Is this a viable air gap? I don't have a second laptop.

I don't know what PGP or GPG means but I still don't want to wreck my computer until I find a decent tower unit that can more easily be upgraded so I can eventually support the network. After I learn enough to be a benefit to the network rather than little more than the curious child I feel now.

Thanks in advance for any help with my situation.

So OP, you can achieve your goal of getting some bitcoins. Just know that you're stepping into a minefield and act accordingly until you gain the skills to navigate through it.

fdyl
username18333

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Knowledge could but approximate existence.

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2015, 01:58:25 AM
Last edit: May 21, 2015, 02:40:42 AM by username18333

@fdylstyx If you aren't (too) concerned with privacy, you could operate out of a few addresses whose private keys you have individually written down multiple times and stored in multiple locations.

Escape the plutocrats’ zanpakutō, Flower in the Mirror, Moon on the Water: brave “the ascent which is rough and steep” (Plato).
achow101_alt

Activity: 268
Merit: 258

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 02:06:24 AM

I'm one of those guys that doesn't understand a lot but I do know a little bit of knowledge is dangerous.

I've got Windows 7 pro 64bit but for some reason only 32bit Java and am too jittery to move to 64bit because I don't know what it's ll do to my computer and my understanding is it's important for me to have 64bit Java to get certain programs to run in the cryptosphere.
It wouldn't hurt to update to 64 bit Java. A lot of websites use java to do things, and 64 bit is generally better than 32 bit. There are no negative effects of upgrading.

I did manage to get a wallet from blockchain.info and create an address to receive btc, I used what I believe to be a strong password but I still don't bother backing my wallet up. I'm afraid I'd mess it up. They keep asking me to improve my security by giving my phone number but that makes me nervous too.
There isn't much to mess up with a wallet backup, especially on a web wallet. All that happens is you download a copy of your wallet, it won't effect your wallet's balance or anything unless someone steals it. Even then, you can still get an encrypted backup which is decrypted upon upload to their site for a restore if you wish to do so. Since it is a web wallet, a backup is not necessary, since they probably also back everything up and if their servers crash, they are liable and should reimburse you for any loss.

Why are you nervous about giving them your phone number for extra security? 2 factor authentication makes everything much more secure as a hacker who steals your password still cannot get into your account unless he also stole your phone.

I just wonder where there might be a place where I can learn the basics of securing my wallet(s), for now I'm comfortable writing everything down on paper, then I backup by taking pictures of both my computer screen as well as my keys (identifiers?) and passwords on an old smartphone that is no longer being used for other purposes.
I suppose that is ok. You should download encrypted backups of your wallet, and keep multiple copies of it in different places. Perhaps one on your computer, another on a flash drive, and a third on your old phone. You should also create a paper wallet, there should be an option for this in blockchain.info. You print out the paper wallet and put it in a safe deposit box at the bank. These are the normal tactics of keeping your Bitcoin secure.

And how do I get a password generator from the internet to my old phone. I do have the old desktop version for syncing and upgrades for the phone. Can I safely transfer a password generator to my phone and then be able to use it without service or connection to the internet? Is this a viable air gap? I don't have a second laptop.
Why would you need a password generator?

You should be able to download an app and transfer it to your phone to install it, depending on the phone. The app should never access the internet and be done completely offline. This is a viable air gap, but why would you need it?

I don't know what PGP or GPG means but I still don't want to wreck my computer until I find a decent tower unit that can more easily be upgraded so I can eventually support the network. After I learn enough to be a benefit to the network rather than little more than the curious child I feel now.
PGP is an encryption system, unrelated to the functioning of Bitcoin. It is similar to Bitcoin, in that it uses public key cryptography. PGP can be used to verify that someone is who they claim they are by creating a signed message which can be verified. It is also used to encrypt and decrypt messages so that certain information can be kept private. GPG is an implementation of PGP.

Tip Me!: 1AQx99s7q1wVinbgXbA48BaZQVWpHe5gYM | My PGP Key: Fingerprint 0x17565732E08E5E41
fdylstyx

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 02:20:46 AM

If you aren't (too) concerned with privacy, you could operate out of a few addresses whose private keys you have individually written down multiple times and stored in multiple locations.

I'm pretty much doing that already. I've found I can create a new BTC address at blockchain.info and I transferred my bitcoin to that address and archived the old one before opening my account at Poloniex with the new one.

Am I right in thinking this hasn't hidden any of my transactions on the blockchain? And no, privacy is less of an issue than security is for me at this time. I have much to learn before I can even begin to fool myself that I'm actually my own bank and nobody can no my business. IMO I don't really think anyone can complete privacy without becoming a prisoner within that false bubble security. Paranoia is a waste of time and time is our most precious currency in this life.

I thank you for sharing some of yours with me. Or were you responding to OP?  Undecided

username18333

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2015, 02:40:15 AM
Last edit: May 21, 2015, 03:13:39 AM by username18333

I'm pretty much doing that already. I've found I can create a new BTC address at blockchain.info and I transferred my bitcoin to that address and archived the old one before opening my account at Poloniex with the new one.

[...]

I thank you for sharing some of yours with me. Or were you responding to OP?  Undecided

(I thought you were the OP.) It sounds like you're still recording things digitially. I am talking about actually recording the private keys that correspond to your addresses on multiple physical media, so you don't have to worry about how you handle your computer (at least, insofar as the safekeeping of your bitcoins is concerned).

Escape the plutocrats’ zanpakutō, Flower in the Mirror, Moon on the Water: brave “the ascent which is rough and steep” (Plato).
thebenjamincode

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

37iGtdUJc2xXTDkw5TQZJQX1Wb98gSLYVP

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 03:07:33 AM

maybe your computer had a virus or you may have downloaded a virus that's why your computer got wrecked?
fdylstyx

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 03:27:16 AM

It wouldn't hurt to update to 64 bit Java. A lot of websites use java to do things, and 64 bit is generally better than 32 bit. There are no negative effects of upgrading.

There isn't much to mess up with a wallet backup, especially on a web wallet. All that happens is you download a copy of your wallet, it won't effect your wallet's balance or anything unless someone steals it. Even then, you can still get an encrypted backup which is decrypted upon upload to their site for a restore if you wish to do so. Since it is a web wallet, a backup is not necessary, since they probably also back everything up and if their servers crash, they are liable and should reimburse you for any loss.

Why are you nervous about giving them your phone number for extra security? 2 factor authentication makes everything much more secure as a hacker who steals your password still cannot get into your account unless he also stole your phone.

I suppose that is ok. You should download encrypted backups of your wallet, and keep multiple copies of it in different places. Perhaps one on your computer, another on a flash drive, and a third on your old phone. You should also create a paper wallet, there should be an option for this in blockchain.info. You print out the paper wallet and put it in a safe deposit box at the bank. These are the normal tactics of keeping your Bitcoin secure.

And how do I get a password generator from the internet to my old phone. I do have the old desktop version for syncing and upgrades for the phone. Can I safely transfer a password generator to my phone and then be able to use it without service or connection to the internet? Is this a viable air gap? I don't have a second laptop.
Why would you need a password generator?

You should be able to download an app and transfer it to your phone to install it, depending on the phone. The app should never access the internet and be done completely offline. This is a viable air gap, but why would you need it?

PGP is an encryption system, unrelated to the functioning of Bitcoin. It is similar to Bitcoin, in that it uses public key cryptography. PGP can be used to verify that someone is who they claim they are by creating a signed message which can be verified. It is also used to encrypt and decrypt messages so that certain information can be kept private. GPG is an implementation of PGP.

achow101, thanks for your reply...I spent a while trying to figure out how to break a quote down like you have...with no progress, so I'll just go down the list.

I will check out upgrading to Java 64bit. Last time I downloaded it I couldn't bring myself to press accept. I'm beginning to think I'm overly cautious in this regard. Still pretty cautious about clicking on random links. I finally got rid of my Avast and just going with Windows firewall and defender...my computer runs much smother without all the bundled pups and other crud that comes with the freeware.

It's good to know that the wallet at blockchain.info is backed up by them. I do have the authenticator and my password written down. I haven't risked enough to worry about cold storage and for me to backup the blockchain.info wallet I believe required me to use a usb or disc and the 2FA I can't remember if that's the square image that I take a picture of with my smartphone or it's through Google+ but I don't think I'm comfortable with using my active phone at this time. In time I no doubt will have little choice if I want to keep an eye on my assets. I am aware of the printing of a paper wallet but have no printer and I'm still a bit lost on the airgapping a printer thing.

Hopefully my current security is sufficient for present purposes. Again, still climbing that learning curve.

As to a password generator it is my understanding that one can create a unique cryptic password from a picture of something as simple as a tree or cloud formations. I was thinking I could download something to my old smartphone (Storm 2) and take some pictures then create a suite of private keys and public passwords for future use. Maybe I'm over thinking all of this.

Ah...GPG...I've seen that a few times in some of my meanderings in this site. A trusted escrow would have one, although I've used escrow here and they did have that, it's certainly not the deciding factor in judging trust.

Thanks again for your time and helpful reply achow101.

fdyl

fdylstyx

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 03:35:57 AM

[...]

(I thought you were the OP.) It sounds like you're still recording things digitially. I am talking about actually recording the private keys that correspond to your addresses on multiple physical media, so you don't have to worry about how you handle your computer (at least, insofar as the safekeeping of your bitcoins is concerned).

Nope, not the OP but I hope the answers I get to my questions are useful to him/her as much as they are to me. Sorry if it seems I've highjacked the thread.

Yup, paper (check), passwords and screen shots on an old phone (check), and still learning (check). If my accumulation grows I should be confident enough to feel it's secure.  Wink
username18333

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2015, 03:40:09 AM

Yup, paper (check), passwords and screen shots on an old phone (check), and still learning (check). If my accumulation grows I should be confident enough to feel it's secure.  Wink

If you are backing up your data to physical media, why are you then backing it up to electronic (i.e., hackable) storage?

fdylstyx

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 04:02:49 AM

If you are backing up your data to physical media, why are you then backing it up to electronic (i.e., hackable) storage?

Well, username18333, I think chow101 has already pointed out that my only digital backup is in good hands (and insured) by bockchain.info.

Are you implying that if I connect my old Storm2 to it's desktop manager to download a password generator to it, then disconnect, I've somehow compromised the information already stored on my old phone? I could delete the info before connecting and then re-enter everything after I disconnect.

I've also picked up a box of 2X4 inch copper plates that I intend on punching important keys and stashing (as a copmlete group) in various parts of the island I live on. Just in case the value of my holdings grow exponentially faster than my inevitable old age and the 50% chance of increasingly oncoming dementia.  Wink
username18333

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2015, 04:07:48 AM

Are you implying that if I connect my old Storm2 to it's desktop manager to download a password generator to it, then disconnect, I've somehow compromised the information already stored on my old phone? I could delete the info before connecting and then re-enter everything after I disconnect.

I am merely reiterating that successfully compromising your computer systems (handheld or otherwise) would be more trivial than successfully raiding your island and retrieving your copper plates.

fdylstyx

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 04:19:26 AM

I am merely reiterating that successfully compromising your computer systems (handheld or otherwise) would be more trivial than successfully raiding your island and retrieving your copper plates.

So...I'm good...right? Other than you think Windows defender and firewall fail miserably as antivirus and malware protection? Undecided
MakingMoneyHoney

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 04:23:34 AM

I have some information on my site, about protecting yourself. But also, you may want to get a paper wallet for cold storage (Guide on Creating Paper Wallets), if you get a good amount and you want to save it on a wallet that's never been connected to the internet (so hackers can't steal it).
username18333

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2015, 04:27:48 AM

So...I'm good...right? Other than you think Windows defender and firewall fail miserably as antivirus and malware protection? Undecided

I'm saying that "a chain is only as strong as its weakest link" and that, by introducing digital (i.e., hackable) backups into your regimen which includes physical (i.e., un-hackable) backups, you are actually undermining your own efforts.

fdylstyx

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 04:40:08 AM

I'm saying that "a chain is only as strong as its weakest link" and that, by introducing digital (i.e., hackable) backups into your regimen which includes physical (i.e., un-hackable) backups, you are actually undermining your own efforts.

So that would mean not counting on blockchain.info, beefing up my security (to the point of personal incomprehension) and continue to proceed with extreme caution when deciding to click on seemingly helpful links as in the post above your last?

No offense MakingMoneyHoney, but maybe you can tell me how to guard against a keylogger. I'm not saying you are such. Just saying I'm aware I've my lack of knowledge in such matters.
username18333

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2015, 04:44:11 AM

So that would mean not counting on blockchain.info, beefing up my security (to the point of personal incomprehension) and continue to proceed with extreme caution when deciding to click on seemingly helpful links as in the post above your last?

It would merely mean that you would only keep duplicates of your private keys inscribed on copper plates in multiple safes; you wouldn't then expose them to technological devices (and, therefor, the possibility of a remote attacker accessing them). (And, if you did expose them to the internet, you would ultimately transfer the bitcoins to an address that hadn't had its private keys thus exposed.)

sirnoah

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 04:50:46 AM

thanks for the tip guys...this is really useful
username18333

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2015, 04:56:28 AM

If all else fails, reformat.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: