Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 04:05:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: is MAX_MONEY the total market cap of the coin? litecoin  (Read 538 times)
supercanada1 (OP)

Activity: 798
Merit: 253

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 03:24:24 AM

is MAX_MONEY   the total market cap of the coin? litecoin
iGotSpots
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1054

CPU Web Mining 🕸️ on webmining.io

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2015, 05:15:18 AM

No

MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2015, 05:26:15 AM

is MAX_MONEY   the total market cap of the coin? litecoin

I think it sets the limit for the maximum coins that can be sent in a single transaction.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2015, 05:31:26 AM

Since you know the name of the constant you presumably have the source code, so you can easily just look for yourself.

In coins whose source code I have worked with, mostly SHA256 coins, it is a general limit on totals and such, tending to limit not only individual transactions but also, I think, the grand total any one wallet can have and still be able to display the total.

DeVCoin (DVC) in particular highlights the fact that it does NOT limit the grand total number of coins in existence, just the number the code can work with at one time when adding up totals putting together wallet displays and transactions and stuff like that.

Eventually there will be more than MAX_MONEY DeVCoins in existence.

So to own it all you'd need to split it into more than one wallet, unless the code is changed by then to work around this.

(All this assumes I am not confusing MAX_MONEY with some other similar constant in the code, of course, as I am not actually looking at code right now.)

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
YarkoL
Legendary

Activity: 996
Merit: 1013

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 10:27:48 AM

“God does not play dice"
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: