Bitcoin Forum
July 01, 2024, 10:17:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: NYSE declares bitcoin "emerging ASSET CLASS"  (Read 1847 times)
Possum577 (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2015, 04:32:23 AM

http://www.coindesk.com/new-york-stock-exchange-launches-bitcoin-price-index/

Is it a currency? Is it an asset class? The NYSE sees it as an asset class. Interesting news, not to mention that they NYSE is establishing a ticker to track the BTC/USD price. There's some big money being put into bitcoin, like serious big money from very reputable people in finance.

This is about to get exciting...

username18333

Activity: 378

Knowledge could but approximate existence.

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2015, 04:38:18 AM

If your "big money" asserts that bitcoin (and, perhaps, by extension, all cryptographic currencies) is an asset, it'll be as much a money as gold and silver (currently) are.

Escape the plutocrats’ zanpakutō, Flower in the Mirror, Moon on the Water: brave “the ascent which is rough and steep” (Plato).
coinableS
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1180

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2015, 04:49:56 AM

Hrmm is this going to lead to the whole tracking every time your spend or receive for tax purposes? Selling an asset is different than using a currency but bitcoin is different. As Gavin mentioned on the interview on 5/19/15 you can't pigeon hole bitcoin into a single category that we are already familiar with like an asset class or a currency. Bitcoin is completely different than we have ever seen before so it should be it's own class/category. What? We don't really know yet.

username18333

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2015, 05:00:35 AM

As Gavin mentioned on the interview on 5/19/15 you can't pigeon hole bitcoin into a single category that we are already familiar with like an asset class or a currency.

Gavin Andresen isn't a "Wall Street fatcat" (as the derogatory colloquialism goes): he doesn't move - let alone make - markets.

Escape the plutocrats’ zanpakutō, Flower in the Mirror, Moon on the Water: brave “the ascent which is rough and steep” (Plato).
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 09:45:18 AM

asset class suits more to the meaning of what bitcoin could be really, classified into something, but if everyone begin to see it as a different thing, it may bring some confusion

i like how they will expand their index to others exchange, from the news you can also snatch that they are building the infrastructure for bitcoin and not investing in bitcoin itself

this is why the price has not yet lifted
qiwoman2
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1023

Oikos.cash | Decentralized Finance on Tron

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 12:14:11 PM

I think for now BTC is more in the asset class than expenditure class although now big spenders in bitcoin are even buying other assets like houses and apartments and luxury goods..especially those that made a killing from it like the early miners and adopters.

█▀█ █ █▄▀ █▀█ █▀ ░ █▀▀ ▄▀█ █▀ █░█
█▄█ █ █░█ █▄█ ▄█ ▄ █▄▄ █▀█ ▄█ █▀█

DeFi on Tron
and trustless token exchange
█████

█████

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████

JOIN OIKOS

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████

█████
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
█████
cellard
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1252

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 01:45:05 PM

I don't care what they classify it, as long as you don't have to pay VAT for every damn transaction you made.
Q7

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2015, 01:46:14 PM

When we are talking about assets, we are talking about cash equivalents where we can convert and liquidate it as and when we need it but however in bitcoin, we are already referring to a currency which we can use to purchase and trade for items. Eventually it all depends on how we look at it and in time, I think it would be clearer to define as adoption rate goes up.

johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 04:24:06 PM

This kind of asset is very different than traditional asset, governments and banks have almost no control of its location and flow, a Swiss bank in cyberspace

SRG

Activity: 127
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 09:22:26 PM

I think this is borderline good news, but the core problem will be that in the US, you'll still have to treat every transaction as a taxable event and record either gains or losses.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 09:23:46 PM

Words, words, and more words. If I asked my dentist she would say bitcoin is a kind of tooth. lol

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
mrhelpful
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 09:31:09 PM

Words, words, and more words. If I asked my dentist she would say bitcoin is a kind of tooth. lol

Wait what? Are you saying bitcoin feels more of a physical asset or that bitcoin is just a pain to even determine where it falls under all of these categories.

As for the asset class, I would consider it - if it falls on the same with gold.
Pab
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1012

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 09:31:56 PM

propably thay have to give some definition to bitcoin
bitcoin is emerging for sure,asset not so much

maybe alternative emerging technology asset

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
techgeek

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 01:49:43 AM

I think if anything its the blockchain is what they want more then anything.

Rather then the whole bitcoin scene, like they want to use it for something I feel.

melody82

Merit: 257

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 02:29:46 AM

This is an interesting development.  I agree that it appears to be more of an asset then a currency right now.  I think prices have to stabilize before people seriously start using it as a currency.
Possum577 (OP)

Activity: 434

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2015, 05:40:26 AM

As Gavin mentioned on the interview on 5/19/15 you can't pigeon hole bitcoin into a single category that we are already familiar with like an asset class or a currency.

Gavin Andresen isn't a "Wall Street fatcat" (as the derogatory colloquialism goes): he doesn't move - let alone make - markets.

Of course not, but very few Wall Street pundits do. This guy is a consultant - he's paid to know how business works and to have an opinion. I don't think his lack of material influence on the BTC market should discount his opinion on where the market is going. In fact, I think his lack of influence over the market keeps his opinion objective and valued. He can't gain much by trying to move the market because he's not big enough to be a market mover.

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 05:51:36 PM

Wait what? Are you saying bitcoin feels more of a physical asset or that bitcoin is just a pain to even determine where it falls under all of these categories.

As for the asset class, I would consider it - if it falls on the same with gold.
I guess I just think it's funny how many definitions there are. Some say it's a currency, an asset, a ... It may be all those things? For me it is what it is, it's bitcoin.  Or maybe it's "just a pain to even determine", as you point out.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
username18333

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2015, 09:06:12 PM

[Gavin Andresen] can’t gain much by trying to move the market because he’s not big enough to be a market mover.

However, the NYSE very much is “a market mover” (Possum577), and its “material influence” (Possum577) has reiterated that bitcoin is an “asset class” (Possum577).

mrhelpful
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 11:40:06 PM

I guess I just think it's funny how many definitions there are. Some say it's a currency, an asset, a ... It may be all those things? For me it is what it is, it's bitcoin.  Or maybe it's "just a pain to even determine", as you point out.

Haha yeah. But, i really wish sometimes it can be in the 1% of a huge category already.

Even if its looked bad for black market, atleast then we can have some solid price holds right? I dont know I read on someones view any of the billion dollar market.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1066414.0
EternalWingsofGod

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 28, 2015, 05:21:40 AM

There are a lot of words over what Bitcoin is and no real consensus
At the least an asset class sounds reasonable, it can act as a means of currency but retains its own value it may be a new type of asset class but it fits in that definition.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: