Bitcoin Forum
May 20, 2024, 10:41:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help me restore my wallet.dat  (Read 2798 times)
merkin (OP)

Activity: 266
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 11:52:18 AM
Last edit: May 21, 2015, 12:11:51 PM by merkin

Hey guys Smiley

I formated my computer and so don't have my armory and HD wallet anymore. I saved my wallet.dat btc back up and now I want to use it again. Help me open it, I tried dragging it into blockchain (https://blockchain.info/wallet/import-wallet) to no avail. I am getting a "connection" problem and multi bit gives me an "null" error code.
Has anyone actually successfully done this? is there an equivalent somewhere else?

My connection is bad so can't wait for armory to download years of data or whatever. Is there a quick way for me to recover my wallet - I also had a password on it. Please help Thanks Smiley

Someone mentioned multibit, I tried that but I couldn't get that going either - "the error message was null"

I noticed their wallet file name is multibit.wallet or something along those lines so i tried rewriting the file to that. . and still no workies. Is this necessary anyway?

gah much confuse such annoyed. very appreciate your help
thanks
 Huh

notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 02:38:36 PM

Hey guys Smiley

I formated my computer and so don't have my armory and HD wallet anymore. I saved my wallet.dat btc back up and now I want to use it again. Help me open it, I tried dragging it into blockchain (https://blockchain.info/wallet/import-wallet) to no avail. I am getting a "connection" problem and multi bit gives me an "null" error code.
Has anyone actually successfully done this? is there an equivalent somewhere else?

My connection is bad so can't wait for armory to download years of data or whatever. Is there a quick way for me to recover my wallet - I also had a password on it. Please help Thanks Smiley

Someone mentioned multibit, I tried that but I couldn't get that going either - "the error message was null"

I noticed their wallet file name is multibit.wallet or something along those lines so i tried rewriting the file to that. . and still no workies. Is this necessary anyway?

thanks
 Huh

You say you have the wallet.  What is the file extension end with?   And what wallet (you mention a few) did you make the backup from?
fast2fix
Legendary

Activity: 1612
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 03:29:38 PM

Hey guys Smiley

thanks
 Huh
download the core wallet place your wallet.dat in appdata then get the private keys of your address form core wallet(https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=356943.msg3835106#msg3835106) and import it in blockchain.info(https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/How_to_import_private_keys) simple. you don't have to download whole blockchain in order to get your private keys.
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2015, 03:46:14 PM

Hey guys Smiley

thanks
 Huh
The fact that you have the wallet.dat file is very good... it means you've still got access to your BTC Smiley

You can't use that wallet in MultiBit.  MultiBit only allows you to import keys from a key file, and it doesn't use the standard wallet.dat that say Bitcoin Core does.

Other than not wanting to wait for the blockchain to synchronize, is there some rush need to get your BTC?

You could always hack something together in the meantime ... and apparently fast2fix clicked post before I did Smiley

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 08:07:00 PM

Private keys can be dumped via Bitcoin Core without syncing, and also via pywallet. Remember to do it in an offline computer Smiley
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
May 25, 2015, 05:03:47 PM

Private keys can be dumped via Bitcoin Core without syncing, and also via pywallet. Remember to do it in an offline computer Smiley

This.  OFFLINE! do it offline!
merkin (OP)

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 01:19:24 AM

hey thanks for the replies guys,

I am getting an error in bitcoincore saying I don't have enough disk space even though I have over 600gb free. what's with this?

merkin (OP)

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 01:20:25 AM

Hey guys Smiley

thanks
 Huh

You say you have the wallet.  What is the file extension end with?   And what wallet (you mention a few) did you make the backup from?

ends with .dat I made the backup from bitcoincore I'm quite sure

achow101_alt

Activity: 268
Merit: 256

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 01:27:03 AM

I am getting an error in bitcoincore saying I don't have enough disk space even though I have over 600gb free. what's with this?
If you installed Bitcoin Core on a different hard drive but didn't specify a different data directory, then Bitcoin Core will default to its data directory at %appdata%/Bitcoin on windows or ~/.bitcoin on linux.

Tip Me!: 1AQx99s7q1wVinbgXbA48BaZQVWpHe5gYM | My PGP Key: Fingerprint 0x17565732E08E5E41
merkin (OP)

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 01:31:45 AM

If you installed Bitcoin Core on a different hard drive but didn't specify a different data directory, then Bitcoin Core will default to its data directory at %appdata%/Bitcoin on windows or ~/.bitcoin on linux.

hmm I was worried this was the case but even then I freed up space on my C:
How would I specify a different data directory anyway?

I have 47.9 gb free, this should be enough right? the chain is only around 20gb if I am correct??

thanks

achow101_alt

Activity: 268
Merit: 256

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 01:33:00 AM

I have 47.9 gb free, this should be enough right? the chain is only around 20gb if I am correct??

thanks
That should be enough, the blockchain is around 34 GB now.

Tip Me!: 1AQx99s7q1wVinbgXbA48BaZQVWpHe5gYM | My PGP Key: Fingerprint 0x17565732E08E5E41
merkin (OP)

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 01:36:05 AM

thanks

well then I am stumped. Nothing seems to be working, I keep getting this "not enough hard disk space" error. :<

nwfella
Legendary

Activity: 1582

Well hello there!

View Profile
May 28, 2015, 12:04:04 AM

thanks

well then I am stumped. Nothing seems to be working, I keep getting this "not enough hard disk space" error. :<
Your cutting it pretty close there actually (full qt client install is closer to 40GB actually with all supporting files).  

[As for specifying a different data directory for bitcoin]
If your using Windows you can simply use the command-line parameter 'datadir' in the following format:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Bitcoin\bitcoin-qt.exe -datadir=d:\yourAltDir

Think it's time for you to stick a larger HD on there and give it a go.  Heck, even a blank 64GB USB stick outta do in a pinch.

¯¯̿̿¯̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ '̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\=(•̪̀●́)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Gimme the crypto!!
d4n13

Activity: 210
Merit: 101

“Create Your Decentralized Life”

View Profile
June 20, 2015, 02:50:46 PM

bitcoin-qt.exe -connect=0.0.0.0 -checklevel=0 -checkblocks=1 -splash=0 -listen=0

Should start "offline" where you don't connect to peers and peers don't connect to you.  Only need a few megs of disk not a few gigs.

I'm running a old client so 10.2 might have different syntax, but I think that is still the same.

Edit: Yes... it will say you have 0 BTC because it's blind to the blockchain..  Don't panic just print out / write down your public/private keys for each address and import them as described above.  When your done you can search the address in blockchain.info for the balance.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: