Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:12:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Butterfly Jalapeno Asic Device  (Read 6481 times)
pminers (OP)

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 07:11:04 PM

http://www.butterflylabs.com/order-form-bitforce-sc-jalapeno/

Is it a good idea to pre-order such a device? Is butterfly trustworth?
What type of hostsystem is neccessary to run this (hardware, os) device?

Sorry for possible double posting but i (as newbie) can not yet ask and reply to other forums.

Thanks
-pminers

PS: See also: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=106378.0

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gbx

Activity: 226
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 07:22:06 PM

Seems like they are...and sounds like they come from the security/encryption side of the world and are applying their resources on bitcoin.  I read some reviews of their products and they seem positive.
Badonkadonk

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 11:23:06 PM

other then an unsure release date and loads of pre orders (meaning ure far behind in the queue), ye they are pretty damn trust worthy Smiley

chyort

Activity: 14

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 11:27:26 PM

from what i have seen in months of lurking on these forums... They tend to be late delivering, and the product don't quite measure up to what they claim it should in press releases.

Still good, looking at their mini-rigs and other existing products, but not as good as they claim it will be.

*Shrugs*
Badonkadonk

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 12:05:13 AM

from what i have seen in months of lurking on these forums... They tend to be late delivering, and the product don't quite measure up to what they claim it should in press releases.

Still good, looking at their mini-rigs and other existing products, but not as good as they claim it will be.

*Shrugs*

true but they have also stated that if the product doesnt deliver what they say, they will reinburst there customers...
not a "fanboy" or anything, but hoping they are close to there estimate as im considering atleast 2 of there rigs to start with Wink

chyort

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 12:36:09 AM

*Shrugs*

true but they have also stated that if the product doesnt deliver what they say, they will reinburst there customers...
not a "fanboy" or anything, but hoping they are close to there estimate as im considering atleast 2 of there rigs to start with Wink

Oh agree, if they are wrong about their claims their track record shows the will try to make good.

But a reimbursement after months of holding your cash and delivering late isn't amazing in my book. Better than nothing for sure... But not amazing.
HDSolar

Activity: 386
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2012, 12:49:14 AM

Sorry for possible double posting but i (as newbie) can not yet ask and reply to other forums.

Thanks
-pminers

BFL is trustworthy.  Per-order is allot of what they do  Cry.  Host system should be any computer running CGminer or the software you are using to mine with now.  I have one on back order because I had the coins to do it when they came out.  Figured I would give it a try and I own their singles.  Good company but they are a small business in a very interesting market.  The current products work fine.

Get paid to be social and visit HypeWizard today!  www.hypewiz.com
AR-15 80% at www.uspatriotarmory.com
my Cryptanalys.is profile
Badonkadonk

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 01:39:30 AM

Thanks
-pminers

BFL is trustworthy.  Per-order is allot of what they do  Cry.  Host system should be any computer running CGminer or the software you are using to mine with now.  I have one on back order because I had the coins to do it when they came out.  Figured I would give it a try and I own their singles.  Good company but they are a small business in a very interesting market.  The current products work fine.

+1

Desolator

Activity: 392

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 04:27:47 PM

Here's a dumb question.  How does a non-CPU, non-GPU, USB device show up as an available mining device in GUIMiner v2011-07-01 for example? (I think that's the latest release.)  I assume it would have something to do with creating a new "other miner" but how would one go about targeting the device from there?  And out of curiosity, what type of device does it show up as in the Windows device manager once it's installed?
Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2012, 04:30:47 PM

Here's a dumb question.  How does a non-CPU, non-GPU, USB device show up as an available mining device in GUIMiner v2011-07-01 for example? (I think that's the latest release.)  I assume it would have something to do with creating a new "other miner" but how would one go about targeting the device from there?  And out of curiosity, what type of device does it show up as in the Windows device manager once it's installed?
given that version is over a year old, my first guess would be it doesn't Smiley
cgminer scans for and detects devices, some you need to tell it where to scan - its covered in the readmes Smiley

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
Zack

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 04:34:52 PM

Doesn't BFL have their own mining software?
Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2012, 04:36:33 PM

they do, but some people find other software works better for various reasons/needs /wants Smiley
there is a whole subforum of mining software Smiley
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=42.0

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
CJGoodings

Activity: 322
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 04:38:37 PM
Last edit: September 16, 2012, 04:48:42 PM by CJGoodings

*Shrugs*

As if nobody would dare lie on the internet. What everybody seems to forget to bring when supporting BFL is that FPGA tech was already well known and proven effective when they showed up, as where now your pre-ordering on a tech still in development. (with 0 proof at the moment that it will even work at the task at hand)

I dont mean ASIC's in general, but ones meant to mine.
Monkey1

Activity: 868

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 05:06:22 PM

Fingers crossed though as they have a load of my BTC on pre order!!  I may have to hedge at bets of bitcoin at this rate!

▄▄█████▄▄
         ▄▄███████████▄▄
      ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
   ▄▄███████████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀  ▀██▀       ▀▀████████
███████  ▄████  ███████▄  ███████
███████ █████  ██████████ ███████
███████ ██████████  █████ ███████
███████  ▀███████  ███▀   ███████
████████▄▄        ██   ▄▄████████
 ▀█████████████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████████████▀▀
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
         ▀▀███████████▀▀
            ▀▀█████▀▀

.THRIVING CRYPTOCURRENCY..
.MARKET WITH CRYPTOBONDS..

▄▄▄▄  ▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄  ▄▄▄▄
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

INITIAL COIN OFFERING
SEPTEMBER 30

██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
██████
         ▄▄████████▄▄
     ▄████████████████▄
   ▄███▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀███████▄
  █████ ███████ █▄▀███████
 ██████ ███████ ███▄▀██████
▐██████ ███████▄▄▄▄▄▄ █████▌
▐██████ █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█ █████▌
▐██████ █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█ █████▌
 ██████ █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█ █████
  █████ █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█ ████
   ▀███▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄██▀
     ▀████████████████▀
        ▀▀████████▀▀

...READ THE....
.WHITEPAPER.

▄▄████████▄▄
     ▄████████████████▄
   ▄████████████████████▄
  ███████████████▀▀  █████
 ████████████▀▀      ██████
▐████████▀▀   ▄▄     ██████▌
▐████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ███████▌
▐████████ █▀        ███████▌
 ████████ █ ▄███▄   ███████
  ████████████████▄▄██████
   ▀████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
        ▀▀████████▀▀
TWITTER
FACEBOOK
MEDIUM
REDDIT
GITHUB
SLACK
Desolator

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 03:28:13 AM

Wow, that's hardcore if they wrote their own mining software.  I suppose you need something tailored to the chips to test them but still, pretty impressive Cheesy btw, is there a later version of GUIMiner or a faster or better software out there? Haven't really followed mining much since I stopped when I moved out to my apartment.  You know, shared electric with the roommate and a lack of sufficient daytime cooling and all.
Desolator

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 04:22:20 AM

Fingers crossed though as they have a load of my BTC on pre order!!  I may have to hedge at bets of bitcoin at this rate!
I have some concerns over it.

One thing to uncross your fingers about is the alleged power ratings I hear floating around.  I don't think their own website said info either way unless I missed it.  Yeah it's USB connected but 3500 MH/s for 6 or less watts (max of normal USB) defies the laws of physics.  That's so far ahead of anything similar to it, it's just not possible.  It has to take an external power adapter of some sort, probably well into the 2 digits in watt measurement.  Plus, USB power wavers a lot even on pretty expensive boards.  It's affected my other USB peripherals half the time and typically leaks electricity into the sound adapters on the front case panel or even the onboard rear ones.  It's the worst possible way to run a chip like that.

By the way, can 3500MH/s worth of hash results be sent over USB 2.0?  Would it exceed approx 20MB/s?
SysRun

Activity: 616

Portland Bitcoin Group Organizer

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 05:17:02 AM

I have some concerns over it.

One thing to uncross your fingers about is the alleged power ratings I hear floating around.  I don't think their own website said info either way unless I missed it.  Yeah it's USB connected but 3500 MH/s for 6 or less watts (max of normal USB) defies the laws of physics.  That's so far ahead of anything similar to it, it's just not possible.  It has to take an external power adapter of some sort, probably well into the 2 digits in watt measurement.  Plus, USB power wavers a lot even on pretty expensive boards.  It's affected my other USB peripherals half the time and typically leaks electricity into the sound adapters on the front case panel or even the onboard rear ones.  It's the worst possible way to run a chip like that.

By the way, can 3500MH/s worth of hash results be sent over USB 2.0?  Would it exceed approx 20MB/s?

Oh come now. Wikipedia and bitcoin.org can answer these questions, but for those of you who don't have the time and/or willpower:

No, that rate for an ASIC does not defy physics. Look up what an ASIC actually is (on wikipedia) for general information. A GPU is an ASIC. It will perform specific tasks very efficiently, but bitcoin mining isn't one of those tasks. Anyone with a GPU farm can tell you (heat).

No, 3.5GH/s will not be sent over USB. The speed is on the ASIC, not over the USB connection.

At the same time, I would rather everyone not order BFL's products. Anyone who pre-orders is in direct competition with me, and I need all the coins!

Incidentally, another option for some people might be to purchase GLBSE shares for mining farms. GIGAMINING seems promising. I have yet to purchase shares, but we that is always a possibility.

Images are not allowed. As your member rank increases, you can use more types of styling in your signature, and your signature can be longer. See the stickies in Meta for more info.
Max 2000; characters remaining: 1781
NEICH

Activity: 13

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 05:31:02 AM

I have pre-order two jalapenos... At the end, I gave the purchase rights of one of them to one of my miner colleagues.

Many people think it is a risk to pre-order, as soon as the Jalapeno development is not fully finished. But, in order to have any opportunity with these devices I think it is important not to wait too much. The mining difficulty is growing very wast, and the reward is decreasing....  Mining with GPUs is not profitable any more... ASICs is the best opportunity we have now, however no one will become rich with this, But will enjoy. There is many people mining in the network, someones with big Farms!!  Cheesy

I expect the Jalapenos are in their very last testing phase, hopefully in our hands before ending of this new year.
minerdude

Activity: 1

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 05:46:59 AM

I see someone is trying to sell these on ebay, but they are not shipping yet?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200820756784

Edit: just noticed they are trying to sell 'pre-ordered' hmm
Desolator

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 02:56:44 AM

Oh come now. Wikipedia and bitcoin.org can answer these questions, but for those of you who don't have the time and/or willpower:
Damn right I don't :-P I work 2 jobs lol.
No, 3.5GH/s will not be sent over USB. The speed is on the ASIC, not over the USB connection.
It runs on...itself?  Oh no, I get it.  It runs on magic.  My MP3 player just hit 3 Dragonforce songs in a row on shuffle so I used up all my magic doing that, lol.
At the same time, I would rather everyone not order BFL's products. Anyone who pre-orders is in direct competition with me, and I need all the coins!
The first posted warning I saw about ASIC chip development was 1.7 years ago Tongue That's the definition of fair warning lol.
Incidentally, another option for some people might be to purchase GLBSE shares for mining farms. GIGAMINING seems promising. I have yet to purchase shares, but we that is always a possibility.
Oh that's what we need.  Risk of security flaws, 51% attacks, hacks, and other coin losses plus risk of prices going down plus risk of hardware failure (theirs) plus one more layer of risk in trusting another company with money that would go under at any time.  It's like a risk turkey club sandwich. OM NOM NOM!
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: