Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:37:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: So now that all our info is out there, let us delete our accounts.  (Read 802 times)
sobitcoin (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 25, 2015, 04:49:31 PM

I can't remember the last service I used that didn't let you delete your account.  

But I do remember deleting my coinbase account, which someone (tried to) reactivate today under the email I had registered to Bitcointalk.org... Coincidence, doubtful.

So now that all of our information is compromised and accounts are being opened under my name, can you please give us the option to delete our shit from this forum?  I would rather not subject my personal information to future breaches.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
koelen3
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1007

Sooner or later, a man who wears two faces forgets

View Profile
May 25, 2015, 06:00:54 PM

There is always a chance of your things getting leaked if they are on Internet , if you want to keep certain things completely safe and Anonymous , try the old School Copy pen Way.
Just change all the info everywhere and it will be okay
Snagglebone

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 25, 2015, 06:06:27 PM

Yes, the option to completely delete my account would be very welcome. Maybe also add the option to export all data, too.
koelen3
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1007

Sooner or later, a man who wears two faces forgets

View Profile
May 25, 2015, 06:10:42 PM

Yes, the option to completely delete my account would be very welcome. Maybe also add the option to export all data, too.

You can explore as much data about your account .
Just go to your profile and check stats and posts and whatever you want
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 4110

View Profile
May 25, 2015, 06:14:04 PM

It's simple. Delete all of your posts and messages. Change your password to a random one which you aren't going to remember. Effectively, deleting your account. Not that it makes much difference if we are assuming that the hacker has a full dump of the site. As he will have that information regardless if you delete your account or not.
notmyidea

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 25, 2015, 07:16:29 PM

It's simple. Delete all of your posts and messages. Change your password to a random one which you aren't going to remember. Effectively, deleting your account. Not that it makes much difference if we are assuming that the hacker has a full dump of the site. As he will have that information regardless if you delete your account or not.

It's 2015 though, a simple 'delete account' link shouldn't really be too much to ask for.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
May 25, 2015, 07:18:13 PM

There is always a chance of your things getting leaked if they are on Internet , if you want to keep certain things completely safe and Anonymous , try the old School Copy pen Way.
Just change all the info everywhere and it will be okay

i'm doing this exactly, i don't trust any lastpassword, or lastshit anymore, i have my own paper with all the password written there, unstealable and unhackerable
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 25, 2015, 07:23:15 PM

It's 2015 though, a simple 'delete account' link shouldn't really be too much to ask for.

The problem with delete accounts is it could cause gap's in threads.  And depending on account be a real mess. The main problem is scammers.

Imagine if a high level scam account was able to delete it all.  One second account, and threads, etc all gone.   This would be a mess for those effected by the scam.  Sadly there are scams that happened I almost was taken in Terrahash scam.  It's these accounts that might even have legal actions against them that we would not want deleted.

I think delete would be a mess.  It would have to be done on case by case so ties up staff or moderates to do.  

If you truly want to delete account you could delete every post, switch email to a dummy one, change password to something you would never use, and leave it be.   If reason of delete is worrying about compromise this I would guess would get rid of a lot of the data you don't want out there.  
Snagglebone

View Profile
May 25, 2015, 08:03:05 PM

Have you ever tried to delete posts on this forum?  It takes forever for each one. If you have hundreds or thousands of posts, it would be an impossible task. You'd need to write a script to do it or something.
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
May 25, 2015, 08:07:00 PM

I also think that it is a stupid idea, it is not the right moment to allow users delete their own forum accounts... I think there are a lot of compromised accounts and if the malicious 'hackers' want to delete them (then it will be really easy).
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
May 25, 2015, 08:10:11 PM

Have you ever tried to delete posts on this forum?  It takes forever for each one. If you have hundreds or thousands of posts, it would be an impossible task. You'd need to write a script to do it or something.

It takes a few seconds for each post. besides, you don't have thousands of posts. If you did you would be unlikely to want to delete all of them. Allowing people to delete content with ease wouldn't benefit the forum. There would be a lot of information missing, malicious users would be abusing it and theymos would likely have to restore a lot of content deleted by malicious users.
Snagglebone

View Profile
May 25, 2015, 08:22:46 PM

Have you ever tried to delete posts on this forum?  It takes forever for each one. If you have hundreds or thousands of posts, it would be an impossible task. You'd need to write a script to do it or something.

It takes a few seconds for each post. besides, you don't have thousands of posts. If you did you would be unlikely to want to delete all of them. Allowing people to delete content with ease wouldn't benefit the forum. There would be a lot of information missing, malicious users would be abusing it and theymos would likely have to restore a lot of content deleted by malicious users.

So because _I_ don't have thousands of posts, it's irrelevant? As for "If you did you would be unlikely to want to delete all of them" you are wrong, plain and simple. There are many people with hundreds and thousands of posts that would like a simple way to delete them.

This forum is a cesspit and I no longer want any of my personally identifying information associated with it, which is why I use this account for general banter and bullshit I don't care too much about. I made the mistake of signing up with my normal user name a long time ago and participating in this forum at that time. I no longer want any of that information associated with this forum, but there's no easy way to go about deleting it. Many of us old schoolers feel the same way and most of the important people have left this forum long ago or use throw away accounts like I do. We'd rather not be associated with the scam infested troll shitfest this place has become, but we're kinda stuck.
monbux
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2015, 08:30:14 PM

I believe if you delete your posts, they are still in the forum's database, are they not?
Snagglebone

View Profile
May 25, 2015, 08:33:08 PM

I believe if you delete your posts, they are still in the forum's database, are they not?

Yes they are. They are just shadow deleted and can be viewed by Admins or anyone with the proper permissions.

It actually is an interesting legal data retention issue that I imagine is going to surprise Theymos one day. Someone will post something sensitive, it will be deleted, but Theymos will still technically be in possession of it and some legal entity will find out about it and all sorts of legal hilarity will ensue.
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
May 25, 2015, 08:34:04 PM

Of course. That's what I meant that theymos would likely have to restore some posts. I do believe that personal messages can be deleted permanently if both parties delete the message. Although, I might be mistaken and it could well be recovered by theymos. He's either stated in the past that they get deleted, and/or they are difficult to recover once all members have deleted it.

So because _I_ don't have thousands of posts, it's irrelevant? As for "If you did you would be unlikely to want to delete all of them" you are wrong, plain and simple. There are many people with hundreds and thousands of posts that would like a simple way to delete them.

I said unlikely. People who have contibuted to discussions and have posted that amount of posts, are probably quite interested in Bitcoin and the community.

Because of a few people who have decided to use their personal handle want to delete their posts, doesn't outweigh the posssible issues with allowing anyone to delete all of their content. It's been stated by multiple users that this could cause issues. For a few examples, auctions & loans.
btccook

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 25, 2015, 08:58:56 PM

please delete this account

i also found no option - plus i couldnt find a contact where i can request deletion

edit: while i understand the concerncs with ripping threads etc. that usually is solved by the software by decoupling threads from user accounts,
you can have my 2 posts ... just make sure the user account is gone
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: