Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 02:23:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie question about paper wallets  (Read 655 times)
libertad (OP)

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 25, 2015, 11:06:01 PM

I would like to purchase BTC's and save the majority of them in a paper wallet as I expect to hang on to them for at least a few years.

I was thinking of doing the following:

1) Install Electrum from a live DVD/USB (Ubuntu or Tails) onto a computer that's not online.

2) Record seed and copy the address's generated.

3) Delete the wallet

4) Send BTC's to the address's that were generated offline.

5) Confirm transfer of BTC's at Blockchain.info.

Does the steps above seem OK? Is there anything that should be changed or added?

How does the blockchain know that the address's that were generated offline are valid?

TIA
Kefkius

Activity: 64
Merit: 20

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 12:39:31 AM

At step 2, you should copy the Master Public Key for the account (or accounts if you use more than the default one) instead of copying addresses. With that master public key, you can generate all of the addresses in that account (there are 2^31 of them so don't worry about running out of addresses).

To get the master public key, click Wallet > Master Public Keys in the menu bar.

Then, with that master public key, you can

1.) start Electrum on an online computer,
2.) click File > New/Restore in the menu bar,
3.) check the radio button that says "Restore a wallet or import keys",
4.) and finally enter your Master Public Key in the blank box that appears after clicking "Next".

If you do that, you'll have a watching-only wallet on the online computer, which means you can see all your addresses, your wallet balance, etc. but cannot spend anything because the wallet doesn't know your private keys. That way, you can always keep track of your wallet (you won't even have to use Blockchain.info since Electrum will tell you about transactions) without risking anything.

Developer of FreeBitcoins.com Clamcoin faucet.
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2015, 02:59:59 PM

-snip-
Does the steps above seem OK? Is there anything that should be changed or added?

Follow Kefkius suggestion. Except step 2, all seems fine.

How does the blockchain know that the address's that were generated offline are valid?

Bitcoin address contain a checksum.

virtualx

Activity: 672
Merit: 507

LOTEO

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 04:38:39 PM

I would like to purchase BTC's and save the majority of them in a paper wallet as I expect to hang on to them for at least a few years.

1) Install Electrum from a live DVD/USB (Ubuntu or Tails) onto a computer that's not online.

3) Delete the wallet

TIA

Record the bitcoin private key in step 2.  The private key is required to initiate transfers on the bitcoin network. Without the private key you lose the funds.

...loteo...
DIGITAL ERA LOTTERY

r

▄▄███████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄███████████████████████▄
▄██████████████████████████▄
▄██  ███████▌ ▐██████████████▄
▐██▌ ▐█▀  ▀█    ▐█▀   ▀██▀  ▀██▌
▐██  █▌ █▌ ██  ██▌ ██▌ █▌ █▌ ██▌
▐█▌ ▐█ ▐█ ▐█▌ ▐██  ▄▄▄██ ▐█ ▐██▌
▐█  ██▄  ▄██    █▄    ██▄  ▄███▌
▀████████████████████████████▀
▀██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀███████████▀▀
r

RPLAY NOWR
BE A MOON VISITOR!
[/center]
libertad (OP)

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 02:46:08 AM

At step 2, you should copy the Master Public Key for the account (or accounts if you use more than the default one) instead of copying addresses. With that master public key, you can generate all of the addresses in that account (there are 2^31 of them so don't worry about running out of addresses).

To get the master public key, click Wallet > Master Public Keys in the menu bar.

4.) and finally enter your Master Public Key in the blank box that appears after clicking "Next".

If you do that, you'll have a watching-only wallet on the online computer, which means you can see all your addresses, your wallet balance, etc. but cannot spend anything because the wallet doesn't know your private keys. That way, you can always keep track of your wallet (you won't even have to use Blockchain.info since Electrum will tell you about transactions) without risking anything.

Thanks for the reply. So just to be clear, the purpose of the watching only wallet is to generate addresses and check balance, but It doesn't need to be online to generate addresses.
Is that correct? And can I send btc's to addresses generated offline that have never been broadcasted to the network?
libertad (OP)

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 03:04:30 AM

3) Delete the wallet

TIA

Record the bitcoin private key in step 2.  The private key is required to initiate transfers on the bitcoin network. Without the private key you lose the funds.

Isn't the seed the same as the private key? How would I lose the funds if I have the seed recorded?
hua_hui
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1016

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 03:13:53 AM

Thanks for the reply. So just to be clear, the purpose of the watching only wallet is to generate addresses and check balance, but It doesn't need to be online to generate addresses.
Is that correct? And can I send btc's to addresses generated offline that have never been broadcasted to the network?
It doesn't need to be online to generate addresses. Yes, it is correct. You can send btc to the addresses generated offline. No problem. You can check the transaction on blockchain.com
chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 03:24:35 AM

3) Delete the wallet

TIA

Record the bitcoin private key in step 2.  The private key is required to initiate transfers on the bitcoin network. Without the private key you lose the funds.

Isn't the seed the same as the private key? How would I lose the funds if I have the seed recorded?
A bit of difference. In Electrum, a seed is a complete backup of all addresses and transactions. A private key is just for one public key. If you back up the seed, you will never lose the funds.
You can read this :http://bitzuma.com/posts/a-beginners-guide-to-the-electrum-bitcoin-wallet/

Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 07:08:46 AM

Yeah, if I were you I'd make that you encrypt the recorded seed and print that out instead. I wouldn't think it wise to have that floating around in plaintext (might be a good idea to make a QR code of the encrypted data for easier copying later on - saves on typing it out). Also make sure you have multiple copies in different locations for redundancy.

Aside from that it looks pretty solid.
libertad (OP)

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 10:39:11 PM

Thanks for all the help guys.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: