Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 08:16:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tracking Jpegs  (Read 613 times)
ChineseSavior (OP)

Activity: 366
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 01:10:04 AM

Used to post jpegs until a member hit me up and doxed all my geolocation to me and advised me to only post png as no geolocation.

how did he obtain this information? Surely there is website for this? This member hasnt been actve i months so i was hoping someone could help. just curious of course
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 3081

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2015, 06:26:27 AM

Used to post jpegs until a member hit me up and doxed all my geolocation to me and advised me to only post png as no geolocation.

how did he obtain this information? Surely there is website for this? This member hasnt been actve i months so i was hoping someone could help. just curious of course

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=jpg+geotag

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soonish!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
abacus

Activity: 618
Merit: 500

a clockwork miner

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 07:00:44 AM

They are called Exif metadata, and can contain geotagging informations.

About their support, I've just read that only .JPG, .TIF and .WAV files can carry them, while they're unsupported on files like JPEG 2000, PNG or GIF.
Gervais

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 08:22:31 AM

All the info is in the image metadata. You can turn it off in your camera or phone settings. And don't some image hosts like imugr strip images of all this stuff when you upload them? Maybe try that for extra security. And who was this member? Maybe it's related to the hack?
(oYo)

Activity: 476

I like boobies

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2015, 09:02:05 AM

I haven't tried it out myself, but my friend told me if you crop your photo (and save as a new pic) then all the metadata is lost.

abacus

Activity: 618

a clockwork miner

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 01:44:25 PM
Last edit: May 26, 2015, 01:59:20 PM by abacus

I haven't tried it out myself, but my friend told me if you crop your photo (and save as a new pic) then all the metadata is lost.

It all depends from the software you are using: it may or may not keep the exif in the new file. Sometimes the software could also save additional infos in your new file.
Beside that, often there're settings in the software where you can choose how it must treat these data.
kolloh
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1023

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 06:32:15 PM

All the info is in the image metadata. You can turn it off in your camera or phone settings. And don't some image hosts like imugr strip images of all this stuff when you upload them? Maybe try that for extra security. And who was this member? Maybe it's related to the hack?

Yeah, I believe that imgur and sites like facebook etc all strip EXIF data for security. Posting raw images is dangerous unless you first strip the EXIF data that contains the metadata.
volatilebtc

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 07:10:12 PM

Yeah, I believe that imgur and sites like facebook etc all strip EXIF data for security. Posting raw images is dangerous unless you first strip the EXIF data that contains the metadata.

Sites like facebook, compress images to save memory resources while making it safer for public use.

▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼  No.1 Bitcoin faucet  ▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼
████████████████████████████████  Freebitc◔in   ████████████████████████████████
↑↓ Instant Bets ↑↓ Flexible  ↑↓ Highest Reward 50% Referral benefit  ↑↓
chopper873

Activity: 60

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 09:39:33 PM

There is software that can strip metadata from image files. Google for it and you will soon find plenty of freeware that can do it.
^.^

Activity: 81

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 01:37:10 AM

There's always obsurecam on android. Both takes pics/vids and can remove the info
ChineseSavior (OP)

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 07:25:06 AM

thnx for all info ppl =)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: