Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 12:27:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin's Core Value Proposition: Two Approaches to Understanding  (Read 658 times)
Roger_Murdock (OP)

Activity: 342
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 12:36:39 AM
Last edit: May 27, 2015, 11:37:55 PM by Roger_Murdock

Liked this Reddit post I made so I thought I'd share it here as well.  

Here are my two favorite ways of understanding and explaining Bitcoin's core value proposition.  (I've made a lot of these points before in comments so my apologies if this stuff is old hat to anyone.  I thought it was important enough to put together in one place.)

"TRUSTLESS" MONEY

You often see people describe Bitcoin as money that "doesn't require trust."  Unfortunately, they rarely take the time to really explain what that means.  I think in order to fully understand why Bitcoin's "trustless" nature makes it so revolutionary, you need to do two things: (1) explicitly consider trust in the context of both value storage AND value transfer; and (2) compare Bitcoin's performance in these two respects with the performance of the "Big Three" conventional monetary alternatives, namely, digital fiat, physical cash, and gold. Ok, so how does the competition stack up?

1. Digital fiat

Storage - Most people in this sub probably understand that the dollars in "their" bank account are nothing more than bank-issued IOUs for dollars. As such, holding dollars in a bank requires that you trust the bank to make good on those IOUs (and not say, freeze your account or steal your money) as well as requiring you to trust the bank with your confidential financial information (i.e., your balance and complete transaction history).  Storing your funds in fiat also requires you to trust the central bank not to erode your money's purchasing power through arbitrary expansion of the money supply.

Transfer - In order to send digital dollars to someone else using the conventional financial system, you have to trust a central authority (a bank, PayPal, Western Union, etc.) to effectuate that transfer in accordance with your wishes. And that means you also need their permission. If the transfer you want to make is one that the central authority (or the government it answers to) doesn't approve of (e.g., a donation to Wikileaks), you're out of luck.

2. Cash

Storage - Holding cash doesn't require you to trust your commercial bank, but it still requires you to trust the central bank's management of the money supply. Furthermore, securely storing cash yourself (without the aid of a trusted third party) is difficult, if not impossible. You can't make backups of your physical banknotes (or they'll call you a counterfeiter), can't encrypt them, and can't use the equivalent of multi-sig or Shamir's secret sharing algorithm to eliminate the loss of those unique physical items as a single point of failure.

Transfer - you can transfer cash from one person to another without a trusted intermediary, but only if you and the recipient are in the same physical location.  That's obviously a massive (and usually unacceptable) inconvenience in a modern global economy. Moreover, large in-person cash transactions are not without their own set of risks (e.g., the risk of being robbed or receiving counterfeit banknotes).

3. Gold

Storage - With gold, you don't have to worry about a central issuer arbitrarily expanding the supply, but attempting to store gold in a secure and trustless manner presents the same types of logistical challenges as storing a significant quantity of cash.

Transfer - The analysis here is pretty similar to the one for cash.  In-person transfers are possible without a trusted intermediary (although still problematic), but trustless transfers at a distance are simply not possible.  Of course, IOUs for gold can be transferred across distance electronically, but transacting in IOUs simply reintroduces the requirement for a trusted central authority.

Ok, so why is Bitcoin revolutionary under this framework? Because it's the first form of money that lets you both store and transfer value (including across distance) without the need for a trusted intermediary.  With Bitcoin, there's no central authority with the power to arbitrarily create new units, freeze (or seize) your account, or block a particular payment from being processed.  And payments can be made quickly and trustlessly to anyone anywhere in the world without the requirement of physical proximity.  They don't call it magic internet money for nothing.

THE THREE REQUIREMENTS FOR GOOD MONEY

The second way of understanding Bitcoin that I really like starts with a very fundamental consideration of the nature of money. What is money? Money is memory. Money is a societal IOU. Money is a favor voucher.  Money is an accounting ledger for keeping track, in a provable way, of value given but not yet received. (If you want to get really fancy, you can describe money as a "formal token of delayed reciprocal altruism.") The paradox of money is that while everyone wants it, no one actually wants it (they want the stuff they can exchange it for). The "real" economy is the exchange of useful goods and services for other goods and services. Money is simply a way of keeping score, a medium of exchange that facilitates that real value exchange across time and across multiple parties. (In contrast, a traditional barter transaction involves a simultaneous bilateral exchange of value.)  Ok, so I've now said the same thing in about half-a-dozen different ways.  Why?  Because it's that important.  You need to understand what money is in order to understand what properties a system of money should have, which in turn allows you to understand why some of us are convinced that Bitcoin has the potential to be the best form of money the world has ever seen.  So what are the requirements for good money? Well, you'll find lots of discussions on this topic that identify six or so very specific properties ("divisibility," "fungibility," "portability," etc.), but personally I think it's more intuitive to think in terms of just three requirements.  Those three requirements can be mapped, more or less one-to-one, onto the three traditional functions of money. They are:

• transactional efficiency - This requirement corresponds most closely to the "medium of exchange" aspect of money.  I'd argue that, from a modern perspective, this requirement necessitates digital representation.
  • reliable scarcity - This corresponds to the "store of value" aspect of money.
  • network effects / widespread acceptability - Only a form of money that is widely accepted is suitable for use as a "unit of account."

In other words, a good monetary ledger must be easy to update; the information contained in the ledger must be reliably accurate or "honest"; and the ledger must be one that people--preferably lots of people--are actually using. Gold is reliably scarce but not transactionally efficient. Fiat (and specifically, electronic fiat) is transactionally efficient but not reliably scarce. Both fiat and gold have high degrees of acceptability. Bitcoin is even more reliably scarce than gold and even more transactionally efficient than fiat. But its acceptability is, for now, comparatively low. And, at least in the short-term, the network effect requirement is by far the most important of the three.  But while gold can't become more transactionally efficient (sorry, Peter Schiff, the CombiBar doesn't quite cut it) and fiat can't become more reliably scarce, Bitcoin can become more acceptable as more people begin to use and accept it. Indeed, the nature of the network effect creates the potential for a virtuous cycle as greater Bitcoin adoption leads to greater usefulness, which can in turn incentivize greater adoption, leading to greater usefulness, etc.
Roger_Murdock (OP)

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 05:21:03 AM

One objection I've seen to the claim that Bitcoin is "trustless" goes something like this: "what do you mean I don't have to trust anyone to store value in Bitcoin? What about trusting Satoshi with his million-plus coins? What about who knows how many other early-adopting whales who could crash the market with a huge sell off?" It's not a bad-sounding argument, but it's important to understand that the risk involved is really just "market risk," a risk that is common to all assets (including fiat). In other words, there's always a risk that the market price of an asset in the future will be less than its current price due to changes in supply and demand. Now, as a practical matter, the market risk associated with holding Bitcoin (certainly in the short-term) is a lot greater than the market risk associated with holding US dollars. But the reason it's greater is that the Bitcoin market is small and illiquid. In other words, the problem goes back to the fact that Bitcoin is not yet money / still has a small network effect.
spartacusrex

Activity: 718
Merit: 545

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 10:09:48 AM

Great post.

Sound logic.

I vote to make it a sticky at the top!

Life is Code.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4501

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 10:29:19 AM

One objection I've seen to the claim that Bitcoin is "trustless" goes something like this: "what do you mean I don't have to trust anyone to store value in Bitcoin? What about trusting Satoshi with his million-plus coins? What about who knows how many other early-adopting whales who could crash the market with a huge sell off?" It's not a bad-sounding argument, but it's important to understand that the risk involved is really just "market risk," a risk that is common to all assets (including fiat). In other words, there's always a risk that the market price of an asset in the future will be less than its current price due to changes in supply and demand. Now, as a practical matter, the market risk associated with holding Bitcoin (certainly in the short-term) is a lot greater than the market risk associated with holding US dollars. But the reason it's greater is that the Bitcoin market is small and illiquid. In other words, the problem goes back to the fact that Bitcoin is not yet money / still has a small network effect.

trustless is about the transactions authenticity and inability to be faked.. which is what bitcoin is.

your argument is about FIAT exchanges which has nothing to do with bitcoin code or blockchain transactions. yea exchanges can cause issues and the exchange rate on exchanges can change. but thats a failure of the FIAT greed. not bitcoin.

EG
people trust gold because of its rarity and purity.. no matter how much commodities exchanges may manipulate the FIAT value of gold.. gold as a element still holds value.

bitcoin and gold can survive any FIAT or government manipulation. so if you get to the root of the problem if you remove fiat out of the equation and just think about bitcoin->goods, gold-> goods swaps. (without fiat conversion) bitcoin and gold still hold value.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Roger_Murdock (OP)

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 01:28:33 PM

your argument is about FIAT exchanges which has nothing to do with bitcoin code or blockchain transactions. yea exchanges can cause issues and the exchange rate on exchanges can change. but thats a failure of the FIAT greed. not bitcoin.

I don't think so. Regardless of whether or not fiat is the unit of account used to express Bitcoin's purchasing power, Bitcoin's purchasing power will still be subject to fluctuations. Even if Bitcoin becomes the universal money, if the demand to hold Bitcoin decreases, so will Bitcoin's purchasing power. (Although from a practical perspective, at that point, we could expect far, FAR less day-to-day volatility.)
Roger_Murdock (OP)

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 01:31:26 PM

Great post.

Sound logic.

I vote to make it a sticky at the top!

Glad you liked it. Thanks very much!
Roger_Murdock (OP)

View Profile
May 29, 2015, 01:45:52 PM
Last edit: May 29, 2015, 01:58:35 PM by Roger_Murdock

Someone on reddit argued that the value proposition for Bitcoin I describe is not one that people (other than ancaps and libertarians) care about.  Here was my response. (Note that the discussion there also touched on "censorship resistance" as one of Bitcoin's important properties which I'd argue is simply a corollary of trustlessness.)

Lets be honest here, no one cares about that stuff [censorship resistance] or there would be less censorship in the world already.

Well, I’d say that claiming that "no one” cares is obviously an overstatement. The people being censored care. Anyone who has ever purchased an illicit product or been paid in cash in an effort to evade taxes cares about censorship-resistance. The illegal drug trade is a 300-billion-dollar-a-year market. The broader "underground" or "shadow economy" in just the US is estimated at two trillion dollars. So censorship-resistance is absolutely important to a lot of people. But that doesn't mean that mean that many forms of financial censorship aren't popular. They are. To use the examples above, most people still support the drug war and coercively-collected taxation.

No one cares about trustless. People do trust their banks and governments for the most part, they might think they do dodgy stuff but its always in something else outside of the area of their usage.

I actually think that's generally true, with some important qualifications. Certainly that's the case for most people if we’re just talking about trusting a bank to honor their deposit or properly effectuate an ordinary (not-likely-to-be-censored) transaction. Do most people trust their government to maintain the value of their currency? Well, the answer to that question is probably “mostly” and “most of the time.” When a fiat currency begins to fail, however, that trust can evaporate pretty quickly. I don't think most Venezuelans have a whole lot of trust in their government's current management of the Bolivar. And even for a currency like the dollar that's currently experiencing low inflation, people only “trust” the government / central bank to erode the purchasing power of their money relatively slowly. That doesn't mean that they like seeing their money lose purchasing power or that financially savvy people don't spend lots of money and effort on attempting to minimize their exposure to inflation. But is a little bit of inflation going to cause most people to immediately abandon the dollar? Obviously not. As I said in the linked comment, in the short-term, the network effect is by far the most important determinant of what’s actually used as money.

Now if you want to argue that most people / "the average Joe" don't currently recognize Bitcoin's value proposition, I would agree with you 100%. They obviously don't, or Bitcoin would have a much larger user base than (at most) a few million people and a much higher "market cap" than a few billion dollars. But Bitcoin doesn't need the average Joe to recognize its potential right now in order to be successful over the medium- and long-term. If Bitcoin's monetary properties are good enough to allow it to, over time, out-compete fiat as money (or, more modestly, just out-compete gold as a "store of value" / inflationary hedge), Bitcoin is still unlikely to get there in one giant leap by suddenly appealing to the masses. It will be an iterative process with adoption occurring at the margins. And again, the network effect of money is such that it creates the potential for a positive feedback loop as adoption begets greater utility begetting still greater adoption.
thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 29, 2015, 02:55:32 PM

Bitcoin's main goal right now should be privacy. It's secure enough right now, damn it's safer than any other electric payment method on the planet.
Privacy improved with HD wallets, but it should keep improving. Right now the blockchain gives away too much unneeded information, and HD wallets were definitely a great improvement. In fact, I would make HD wallet as the only way to make and receive transactions and deprecate the old method of fixed addresses (who the hell wants to create a new address everytime you want to make a new payment, and then make a new backup everytime you create an address? it's a hassle).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: