Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 05:23:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: how could bitcoin work with NFC?  (Read 1551 times)
paulie_w (OP)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 05:58:20 AM

has anyone brainstormed on this yet?
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 06:33:25 AM

http://www.bitcoincard.org ?

what do you mean NFC?

Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 06:38:12 AM

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.schildbach.wallet

NFC? How do you mean?
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 08:49:12 AM

I would assume replacing the QR code with Near Field Communication Radio Frequency signals is what the OP meant. It's a good question- why not?

more or less retired.
kangasbros

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 10:57:07 AM

The same way as with QR codes - just less hassle transfering the information.

ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 11:27:45 AM

NFC is better and faster than QR code because it requires less attention/cognitive load.
You do not need to look at your screen while you aim at a QR code; you just need to bring your device close to the reader and a beep will tell you that the data were transferred. This is something that you can do it while looking somewhere else, for example if you are talking to someone.

This is important, because the act of looking at your screen while aiming at a QR code look makes you look like a nerd. These are the kind of things that can hamper widespread adoption.

Once the payment address and amount are transferred to your device, your bitcoin client will ask you to confirm and/or enter a password.
Then your device can send the transaction to the network.

To make things even faster, your device could also send the signed transaction directly to the nfc reader; this might save a few seconds of propagation time in the bitcoin network. This would require you to bring your device again near the NFC reader.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
apetersson

Activity: 668
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 01:28:37 PM

looking at your screen while aiming at a QR code look makes you look like a nerd.
best reason for nfc  Grin

i think there will be a very good use case for bitcoin+nfc since it is basically a very ad-hoc data network. it could work with two "contacts"

first sends payment request, user takes phone authorizes it,
second nfc sends the transaction directly. (so offline TX are possible)

or alternativly: user pre-authorizes nfc (by pressing a allow max 1/10/100 btc to be transferred) then phone+POS exchange all the information needed, exact amount, address, transaction.
oldschool

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 04:36:56 PM

blockchain.info android app has NFC enabled on my Galaxy Nexus
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 04:48:51 PM

As I pointed out in my last post, with the link, the Schildbach Android Bitcoin Wallet already has NFC support. Had it for a long time.
oldschool

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 05:06:37 PM

As I pointed out in my last post, with the link, the Schildbach Android Bitcoin Wallet already has NFC support. Had it for a long time.

ahhh, most of the time I don't click external links and from your post with question marks it wasn't apparent but that would make since, the blockchain android app is just a modified ripoff of the original.
teflone

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 05:10:09 PM

You can already use Bump an android and ios app to transmit a string of text to each other.. with Near field of course..

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
camem

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 10:34:56 PM

look up justthinking, he's got the right idea. replacing the QR code is just the start - best use of NFC with bitcoin would be to use the nfc secure element to store the private key for the wallet. suggest using microSD secure element for this, unless we can persuade rim or google to sign off on a bitcoin app in their embedded secure elements. no chance of it going in the SIM for commercial reasons.
mobile4ever

Activity: 546

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 02:10:45 AM
Last edit: September 10, 2012, 01:08:54 PM by mobile4ever

The same way as with QR codes - just less hassle transfering the information.

It depends on your smartphone/dumbphone as to whether it is a hassle or not. The NFC chip is not installed in all phones, but any android or iPhone smartphone ( probably BB and Nokia as well ) can download a QR code scanner.

NFC stands for "Near Field Communication". The chip used inside the smartphone ( or wherever ) is similar to a RFID chip, if not exactly the same.
mobile4ever

Activity: 546

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 02:11:25 AM

Yes, it is called openpay ↓↓

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=92055.0
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: