Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 10:08:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Precautions to take just in case email goes down  (Read 725 times)
elliottflz65 (OP)

Activity: 134
Merit: 147

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 10:24:04 AM

I use a non 'mainstream' email. I like the current email provider because it's not such a big target such as the bigger and more used ones. However, something which does concern me if they disappear suddenly. for what ever reason they've lost funding etc.

What precautions can I take in order to assure that I can still recieve emails from the my account if the service provider did go down. Is there any possible way?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 10:27:51 AM

If email provider goes down, you can't receive email but you can keep your old emails safe by downloading them in your pc. Use thunderbird or some other mail client and sync emails.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2015, 10:34:31 AM

You've made this in the wrong section. This isn't related to Bitcoin. It could probably fit only in Off-topic.
Anyhow the user above pretty much told you what you can do. You should regularly backup your emails in case there is important information in them. I the provider goes down, so does your account and everything with it.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 10:36:53 AM

answer:
stop using generic email providers. and instead purchase your own domain/pop service and have your own independant and fully personalised email

EG
CEO@elliottflz65.com rather than elliottflz65@NeverHeardOfButIsSimilarToGMail.com

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4110

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 10:40:10 AM

answer:
stop using generic email providers. and instead purchase your own domain/pop service and have your own independant and fully personalised email

If you do take this approach, only host it yourself. Otherwise you are relying on a third party which themselves could go offline at any point, or be exploited.
huadylmate

Activity: 215
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 10:40:37 AM

answer:

EG
CEO@elliottflz65.com rather than elliottflz65@NeverHeardOfButIsSimilarToGMail.com

I am going to look into this as I've been wondering similar to the OP I don't want to rely on others to much and what you have said sounds like a winner for the sake of a few dollars a year. Thanks for the advice franky.
pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1561

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2015, 10:46:45 AM

answer:

EG

I don't think most users would be willing to pay for domain (and remember to renew it etc) just to create email address.

Also, there are some interesting projects like protonmail, which is great but there's uncertainty whether it will survive in the long run.

@OP, if your email provider is a registered/legit/non-anonymous  business, you should expect they'll notify you well in advance before winding up the business. Otherwise they'll risk legal actions for data loss etc.

ps. agree with LaudaM, totally off-top

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 10:58:14 AM

answer:

If you do take this approach, only host it yourself. Otherwise you are relying on a third party which themselves could go offline at any point, or be exploited.

Now the next question would be should you or should you not host your own authoritative DNS servers to resolve the MX records to your domain? Should you rely on cheapo DNS service (GoDaddy), premium DNS service (UltraDNS), or just roll out your own name servers across the globe?

I run my own redundant name servers for my personal vanity domain, but then again I did it just for fun and it costs a bundle to maintain. Plus my DNS servers could never withstand a DNS-level DoS attack.
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 11:02:09 AM

I use a non 'mainstream' email. I like the current email provider because it's not such a big target such as the bigger and more used ones. However, something which does concern me if they disappear suddenly. for what ever reason they've lost funding etc.

What precautions can I take in order to assure that I can still recieve emails from the my account if the service provider did go down. Is there any possible way?

I doubt you can receive or retrieve any mail after the provider goes offline, except if you had synced it.

I had a similar problem when one webmail was closed down, and not even 20 mails sent to their support (which was still operating) helped me.
Wouldnt advise using some LQ email service, although they may be ignored as a target, they also have the lowest security, and customer support..

cheers
fryarminer

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 12:39:07 PM

Synology will let you host your own email.
Back in the day when all this was new I knew a guy who sat in the server room of an email provider all day. He had access to everyone's emails.
Since then I wonder how much of our stuff is read by email service provders and the people working for them.
readysalted89

Activity: 327
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 12:48:45 PM

You could use MailStore Home software which lets you archive your private email from almost any email source and search through them extremely quickly.

http://www.mailstore.com/

Regular backups to your own central archive of emails stored on your own computer is a fairly good solution.
SISAR

Activity: 651
Merit: 518

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 01:12:37 PM

Start using decentralized communication solutions. Plenty of altcoins have some sort of plain text or even encrypted messaging.
No Checks, Czechs Welcome

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 03:50:29 PM

I've used mail2tor for a long time and they've been attacked many of times and even brought down but they always seem too pop up again after a while. I use them just because of how they work.
elliottflz65 (OP)

Activity: 134
Merit: 147

View Profile
May 28, 2015, 11:24:01 PM

Start using decentralized communication solutions. Plenty of altcoins have some sort of plain text or even encrypted messaging.

The problem with that...is you can't receive emails from signing up to things.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: