Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 11:27:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Public Note" on blockchain?  (Read 706 times)
chessnut (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 11:29:51 AM

Hey folks,

First time Ive ever seen this. The transaction is from Okcoin to my address. Its creepy, why would somebody want people to be sending small amounts of BTC to my address?

Is this a blockchain website thing or is this on the blockchain?

Cheers!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
The Bad Guy

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 11:32:13 AM

It's a blockchain.info thing as far as I know , since I didn't see it somewhere else .
"Public notes are embeddable short messages during the transaction. An example of a public note can be seen below"
"You can embed a public note when doing a transaction with Blockchain.info. Simply input your message in the column below when sending a transaction."
CHeck the link below for more informations (screeshots included) : https://blockchain.info/fr/wallet/website-faq

chessnut (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 924

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 11:37:33 AM

It's a blockchain.info thing as far as I know , since I didn't see it somewhere else .
"Public notes are embeddable short messages during the transaction. An example of a public note can be seen below"
"You can embed a public note when doing a transaction with Blockchain.info. Simply input your message in the column below when sending a transaction."
CHeck the link below for more informations (screeshots included) : https://blockchain.info/fr/wallet/website-faq

Oh I see, thanks. The message service is only accessible to blockchain.info wallets. I guess that means the message must have come from OKcoin. Still a bit creepy to me, I dont want random people sending to my address. Why would Okcoin I wonder?

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 11:41:09 AM

Oh I see, thanks. The message service is only accessible to blockchain.info wallets. I guess that means the message must have come from OKcoin. Still a bit creepy to me, I dont want random people sending to my address. Why would Okcoin I wonder?

there are many reasons, one could be that they want you to trade on their platform, others do this because they are running ponzi, and it is a much better way to advertise their scam, than posting with random newbie user on any forum relate to bitcoin

this is the new frontier of adv
Neg

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 11:43:00 AM

It's just advertising spam and it's working as you're inadvertently promoting them here to a wider audience. They're just trying to get you to send money to them. Happens every now and again and various companies or scammers try it. Just ignore it and enjoy your free dust.
e1ghtSpace
Legendary

Activity: 1526

Crypto since 2014

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2015, 11:48:57 AM

Just ignore it and enjoy your free dust.
Yeah, over $200 worth of dust.
Unless that is in Zimbabwe Dollars. Smiley I'd laugh if it was US dollars.

But yeah, that is just advertising spam. They probably got your address off a website somewhere.
Neg

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 11:56:48 AM

Just ignore it and enjoy your free dust.
Yeah, over $200 worth of dust.
Unless that is in Zimbabwe Dollars. Smiley I'd laugh if it was US dollars.

But yeah, that is just advertising spam. They probably got your address off a website somewhere.

Ha, I didn't notice the amount. It's usually just a few thousand satoshis or something. Just advertising spam then hehe.
medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2015, 12:17:15 PM

I receive small amounts from unknown addresses from time to time. Some of them are ads, some of them are ponzis. The ponzi ad OP received is not from OKCoin. It is from the 0.0001 btc transaction below the OKCoin transaction (not in the screen cap). I don't mind them if they confirm, it's free money.
Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 12:21:12 PM

OKCoin didn't send this to you, the note is for the transaction below it, not above it.

You were likely sent some small amount of BTC with a spam message attached.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: