Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:55:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can't read 5970 sensors with cgminer  (Read 2836 times)
juhakall (OP)

Activity: 657
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 12:23:28 PM

I tried to create yet another mining rig with a new 5970 + 5870. The OS is Debian Wheezy, and I'm using Catalyst 11.12 + SDK 2.5, just like on my other Linux rigs. All the GPUs are detected in cgminer, and it's hashing as expected. The problem is that GPU0 (the first core of the 5970) doesn't have any temperature reading, and both cores of the 5970 don't have a fan speed reading. The 5870 has both readings. My other 5970 cards with the same Accelero Xtreme HSF display their temperatures and fan speeds just fine. The new 5970 is even the same XFX model as the card I bought before it, which works perfectly.

Strangely, cgminer doesn't detect the new 5970 as a dual GPU card, when checked with cgminer -n. Also, aticonfig --odgt can't display the temperature for the first adapter either, it only works for adapters 1 and 2. fglrxinfo lists all the cards, and I'll say again, all the GPUs are hashing. cgminer also states "hardware monitoring enabled" for all the GPUs.

cgminer -n output for the problematic rig: http://pastebin.com/UDUCvZKG
cgminer -n output from a rig that works fine, showing the dual GPU detection: http://pastebin.com/pSCV0mCe

I believe the "Failed to ADL_Overdrive5_FanSpeedInfo_Get" error is not connected to this issue, because it also happens on my other rigs with similar 5970 cards, while the fanspeeds are displayed anyway.

To rule my Linux setup out of the equation, I even tried to install Windows on the rig. MSI Afterburner shows the missing sensor readings, but cgminer still can't show them. Temperature for GPU0 and fanspeeds for GPU0&1 are still missing, and cgminer -n doesn't detect the 5970 as a dual GPU card.

So, all the GPUs are hashing normally on both Linux and Windows, but the only sensor reading cgminer can get out of the 5970 is the temperature of the second core. Anyone else ever heard of a "special" 5970 like this?

I'm currently developing an experimental social AI platform
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
juhakall (OP)

Activity: 657
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2012, 03:31:01 PM

Problem solved! I noticed that even MSI Afterburner couldn't control the fans, even though it showed the rpm readings. That was easier to search on google. The card turned out to have a bios that blocked some sensor readings. I read about it in this thread: http://www.overclock.net/t/637836/xfx-5970-no-fan-control. The old and new bios versions were exactly same according to atiflash, but flashing the new bios solved this problem anyway.

I'm currently developing an experimental social AI platform
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: