Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 11:57:08 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Using bitcoin adddress as email  (Read 3037 times)
ak111in (OP)

Activity: 180
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 05:04:59 PM
Last edit: May 28, 2015, 06:34:40 AM by ak111in

It would be interesting to use bitcoin addresses as email address.
Try it out:
"yourbitcoinaddress"@bitcoinmessages.info

Eg:
1KWd23GZ4BmTMo9zcsUZXpWP4M8hmxZwRU@bitcoinmessages.info

Update:
Just to clarify this is not expected to replace your regular email. This can be used in specific cases like when you want to contact with someone whose bitcoin address is only known or in cases where you do not want to give your regular email address this can be an easy replacement. Eg:
>If you send bitcoins to some incorrect address, this can be used to send a message to the owner of that address.
>If you receive bitcoins from address and want to send some message to the sender this can be used.
>It can be used to register on untrusted services/websites.
Hope it clarifies the purpose of this service.

twister

Activity: 672
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2015, 06:15:57 PM

Not a bad idea but I don't know if Gmail or other emails like it will allow so many characters as username. I'll try and see if it works.

They can be also used as twitter handles, again if they allow it i.e.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
  ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦   
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
Kexkey

Activity: 237
Merit: 100

Smile while thinking.

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 06:27:12 PM

Try it out:

Eg:

Could be a good idea, the problem is that even if the RFC states that local-part (before the @) of the address is case sensitive, most e-mail providers make the e-mail address case insensitive to avoid confusion.

And we know case sensitivity is crucial in a Bitcoin address...

This digital signature is not a digital signature.
hasmukhrawal

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 06:30:21 PM

it seems a bad idea to me because joining a btc address to an email address would create a bigger address and people don't like bigger email addresses.
they like it short.

▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼  No.1 Bitcoin Binary Options and Double Dice  ▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼
████████████████████████████████  sec◔nds trade  ████████████████████████████████
↑↓ Instant Bets ↑↓ Flexible 1~720 minutes Expiry time ↑↓ Highest Reward 190% ↑↓ 16 Assets [btc, forex, gold, 1% edge double dice] ↑↓
The Bad Guy

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 06:36:30 PM

Try it out:

Eg:

I just tried to create something simillar using gmail and they allowed me , however gmail don't put upper and lower cases as should be . so basically if you send one your email .. and you tell him that it is your adress and he want to send you a TIP or whatever ... how he will know the upper cases ? (Not sure if Bitcoin care about that too) .
Also people prefer the short adresses because they are easy to remember instead of that . however it's not that bad , like the idea afterall

Slark
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 06:41:55 PM

Try it out:

Eg:

Could be a good idea, the problem is that even if the RFC states that local-part (before the @) of the address is case sensitive, most e-mail providers make the e-mail address case insensitive to avoid confusion.

No. Email is something you need to remember and use with ease, so good luck remembering these lines of numbers and letters of bitcoin address. For normal daily uses bitcoin address as email is total overkill and is counterproductive, too long, case sensitive. Maybe it will be only liked by ultra bitcoin nerds who want some geeky looking emails...
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 06:46:07 PM

Try it out:

Eg:

No. Email is something you need to remember and use with ease, so good luck remembering these lines of numbers and letters of bitcoin address. For normal daily uses bitcoin address as email is total overkill and is counterproductive, too long, case sensitive. Maybe it will be only liked by ultra bitcoin nerds who want some geeky looking emails...

I know some people (in real life) that know their personal bitcoin address and they can spell or say it without any problem and especially by heart. I know it is against the bitcoin philosophy, 1-time-use but a I also think email address with a bitcoin address is not really a good thing (we need an alias system added directly in the bitcoin code).
twister

Activity: 672
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2015, 06:59:01 PM

Try it out:

Eg:

I just tried to create something simillar using gmail and they allowed me , however gmail don't put upper and lower cases as should be . so basically if you send one your email .. and you tell him that it is your adress and he want to send you a TIP or whatever ... how he will know the upper cases ? (Not sure if Bitcoin care about that too) .

This is correct, it will not be the same. And bitcoin does care about that, every upper and lower case letters are different.

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
  ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦   
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
Kexkey

Activity: 237
Merit: 100

Smile while thinking.

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 07:00:16 PM

It is tested with gmail and works fine, email id length is not an issue.

It is not expected to replace everyday email but to be used in cases where you do not want to share your actual email id.
Also in many cases the email id of a user is not known and only bitcoin address is known this can be useful in that case. Eg: You received bitcoins from some address and you want to send a message to the person,  it can be used in that case.

Exactly, the idea is good for certain use cases, as long as the e-mail provider supports case-sensitive local-part e-mail addresses.

This digital signature is not a digital signature.
The Bad Guy

Activity: 280

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 07:04:34 PM

Try it out:

Eg:

This is correct, it will not be the same. And bitcoin does care about that, every upper and lower case letters are different.

Well then it can be an issue I guess , it's not that useful after all .
Maybe it is for emailing but for sending bitcoins it's totally screwed up Shocked

amiryaqot
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 07:06:10 PM

Try it out:

Eg:

I know some people (in real life) that know their personal bitcoin address and they can spell or say it without any problem and especially by heart. I know it is against the bitcoin philosophy, 1-time-use but a I also think email address with a bitcoin address is not really a good thing (we need an alias system added directly in the bitcoin code).
yes that is nice suggestion to use an alias instead of bitcoin address because that will be against of privacy of us by using this email address we can easily traced from hackers and many people will be out of their bitcoins by this kind of method.
Kyraishi

Activity: 952
Merit: 513

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 07:18:13 PM

Try it out:

Eg:

Also people prefer the short adresses because they are easy to remember instead of that . however it's not that bad , like the idea afterall

Are you allowed to start your email address with a number?
As far as I know some email providers do not allow that.
Apart from that, how are you going to handle the case sensitivity?

spud21

Activity: 342

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 07:34:14 PM

Try it out:

Eg:

Are you allowed to start your email address with a number?
As far as I know some email providers do not allow that.
Apart from that, how are you going to handle the case sensitivity?

Gmail allows you to put a full stop anywhere in your email address. For example all the addresses below are treated as the same address by gmail.

Joe.bloggs@gmail.com
Joeb.loggs@gmail.com
Joeblo.ggs@gmail.com
Joeblog.gs@gmail.com
Joeblogg.s@gmail.com

Can the system handle that?
Jeremycoin
Legendary

Activity: 1022

𝓗𝓞𝓓𝓛

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 07:44:22 PM

But Bitcoin is anonymous, it means that no one will know your account just by read the address.
If you make this kind of thing, so it means that Bitcoin is not anonymous anymore Sad

faucet used to be profitable
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 07:50:04 PM

I can't really see why this is an advantage. It's another incentive to address reuse, and it makes an email huge as hell and non-memorizeable...
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 07:54:08 PM

Try it out:

Eg:

yes that is nice suggestion to use an alias instead of bitcoin address because that will be against of privacy of us by using this email address we can easily traced from hackers and many people will be out of their bitcoins by this kind of method.

The alias was also the First thing that popped into my mind.

Using the alias email, and when you want to send funds to someone, just press the send coins button in the address.

Really easy and practical for instance when repaying a friend or so!
Amitabh S
Legendary

Activity: 1001

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 07:57:50 PM

It would be better if the bitcoin address is the email address. So I can send some bitcoins to 1CjPR7Z5ZSyWk6WtXvSFgkptmpoi4UM9BC or send an email to it.

Coinsecure referral ID: https://coinsecure.in/signup/refamit (use this link to signup)
coinpr0n

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 08:09:47 PM

If there was a cool TLD (hmmm like .bit? or maybe .xbt) and they were cheap enough it could become a thing to register your address 1A1zP1eP5QGefi2DMPTfTL5SLmv7DivfNa.xbt and have email autoresponders or forwarding with them. Of course due to case-sensitivity again there wouldn't be enough domains for EVERY address.

luv2drnkbr

Activity: 793
Merit: 1016

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 09:01:37 PM

It would be better if the bitcoin address is the email address. So I can send some bitcoins to 1CjPR7Z5ZSyWk6WtXvSFgkptmpoi4UM9BC or send an email to it.

You can already do this right now with namecoin integration.  Bitmessage does this.

What we need to make this spread far and wide is a method of making the namecoin current name set SPV compatible.

dollarneed

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 28, 2015, 01:37:38 AM

yup multitasking, not bad Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: