Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 09:09:12 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BUYING GAMING LAPTOP or Computer need advice  (Read 2322 times)
Balthazar
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1359

View Profile
June 11, 2015, 09:51:54 AM
Last edit: June 11, 2015, 10:07:51 AM by Balthazar

Any so-called "gaming laptop" is a worthless shit, mediocre battery lifetime & performance for high-end price. Please, don't even think about buying it.

// Samsung X700T1C user. Cheesy

ObscureBean
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2015, 11:19:01 AM

I don't know man, this one could be different. Up until recently I'd been using Linux almost exclusively but I gotta say I'm kind of excited about Win 10. I'm a big fan of voice control technology and I can't wait to see how good Cortana is. Not to mention being able to play Xbox games from your pc sounds kinda neat  Smiley
That's a subjective opinion. Overall Windows 10 isn't even good. They are even actively going to force people to join especially gamers due to DirectX. Cortana will probably be the same as the updated Siri, nothing exciting there. You do realize that there is a reason why Cortana isn't coming to Win 7? There is other software that enables voice control that is decent as well (e.g. Nuance Dragon NaturallySpeaking).

I'll let Doge explain this one:

An opinion is by definition subjective as it only conveys someone's particular point of view. Sorry I couldn't help it  Tongue
True objectivity can only exist if the observer is completely separate from the whole and this is something impossible to achieve.
Regarding Win 10, I don't know if it's good or not but I will most definitely give it a try (I've got a legit win 8.1 and have already reserved by copy of win 10, yay!!!  Cool )
As a fan of voice control, Nuance was one of the first software I tried and yea it's not bad. So far I find Google voice search the most accurate, it recognizes almost everything I say (the only exceptions are obscure names or words that are not found in the dictionary). Siri is also very good but I have not tried Cortana yet. Voice recognition in Win 8.1 is already pretty decent, sometimes I sit back on my bed and talk to my computer and it understands me  Grin
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2015, 11:33:01 AM
Last edit: June 11, 2015, 11:47:18 AM by LaudaM

An opinion is by definition subjective as it only conveys someone's particular point of view. Sorry I couldn't help it  Tongue
True objectivity can only exist if the observer is completely separate from the whole and this is something impossible to achieve.
Regarding Win 10, I don't know if it's good or not but I will most definitely give it a try (I've got a legit win 8.1 and have already reserved by copy of win 10, yay!!!  Cool )
As a fan of voice control, Nuance was one of the first software I tried and yea it's not bad. So far I find Google voice search the most accurate, it recognizes almost everything I say (the only exceptions are obscure names or words that are not found in the dictionary). Siri is also very good but I have not tried Cortana yet. Voice recognition in Win 8.1 is already pretty decent, sometimes I sit back on my bed and talk to my computer and it understands me  Grin
Nobody was calling upon true objectivity, and it is fine. We can definitely be objective to a degree if we consider the technical aspects rather than I like it because it is *insert company*. That's what I'm pointing out.
Windows 8 was bad and 8.1 is just a fix.  We all know that XP was great, then came the lame Vista. Windows 7 was great, and Windows 8 was a flop so Windows 10 is supposed to be great as well.
However, this isn't really the case. It's nice that you know about Nuance, rarely anyone does (that I come across).  Smiley
If the last part is unfortunately true you should visit a psychologist. It doesn't understand you (it is not AI); the code does.

Any so-called "gaming laptop" is a worthless shit, mediocre battery lifetime & performance for high-end price. Please, don't even think about buying it.

// Samsung X700T1C user. Cheesy
You might be onto something. Usually the "gaming laptops" have very weak batteries even when you just use them for surfing the internet. I don't think that "gaming laptops" are here yet.
Intel Core M shows high gains when it comes to energy, but we have a long way to go.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Balthazar
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1359

View Profile
June 11, 2015, 01:57:24 PM
Last edit: June 11, 2015, 02:59:08 PM by Balthazar

You might be onto something. Usually the "gaming laptops" have very weak batteries even when you just use them for surfing the internet. I don't think that "gaming laptops" are here yet.
Intel Core M shows high gains when it comes to energy, but we have a long way to go.
Just for example, major GPU developers prefer the rebranding of old products (e.g. Radeon HD 7970M => Radeon HD 8970M) instead of trying to release some new product. And this will continue as long as people are buying renamed hardware.

It doesn't seem a technological issue because we have no such problem with other mobile products such as smartphones or tablets.
btcjoin14

Activity: 891
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 11, 2015, 05:03:02 PM

lenovo y50 is pretty good .the lenovo Y line seems great Gaming laptops that are pretty affordable
You should check it out.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2015, 07:03:18 PM

Just for example, major GPU developers prefer the rebranding of old products (e.g. Radeon HD 7970M => Radeon HD 8970M) instead of trying to release some new product. And this will continue as long as people are buying renamed hardware.

It doesn't seem a technological issue because we have no such problem with other mobile products such as smartphones or tablets.
We have the exact same problem on desktops. Radeon 7950 was rebranded as r9 280 and it is now going to be r9 380. This is something that I'm not comfortable with at all. I've actually sold my GPUs and I'm not going to buy one until something new actually gets released. You're correct; mobile products have been exponentially getting better.
Let's make an example here:
Galaxy S3 (released 3 years ago) has a Exynos 4412 Quad processor which is made with the 32 nm process. Mali-400MP4
Galaxy S6 (released 2 months ago) has a Exynos 7450 processor which is made with the 14 nm process. Mali-T760MP8

The competition is hard and they have been improving as much as they can. I'm trying to state the obvious, the GPUs did also become better with each year while on desktops/laptops the story is quite different.

Also you can see from the plethora of replies that most people don't even read the posts. Maybe OP would be better off with a good laptop that has over 10 hours of battery life?

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
ragi

Activity: 686

View Profile
June 11, 2015, 10:16:28 PM

Those are probably the best gaming laptops on your budget http://pcgamerhome.com/gaming-laptops-under-1000/
Thanks man. I could use this.

no.
X7
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1009

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone

View Profile
June 11, 2015, 10:17:13 PM

My advice is get a desktop lol

For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the world, and lose his own soul?
cjrosero (OP)

Activity: 616

To God Be The Glory!

View Profile
June 12, 2015, 03:59:13 PM

i have been reading all your comments and suggestion. . one of member here posted some specs here can you tell me if this good or not. ?,

CPU: Intel Core i3-4170 3.4GHz LGA1150 -
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 92mm -
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97M-Gaming 3 Red -
Monitor: BenQ 19" Wide LED Monitor G910WAL -
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB 4Gbx2 DDR3 1600 CL9 (F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL) Red -
HDD: Seagate 1TB (ST1000DM003) 64Mb Cache -
ODD: Asus OEM DRW-24B1ST -  >> you can remove this if you want
Video Card: MSI R9 270 Twin Frozr Gaming 2GD5 256bit Red -
Chassis: BitFenix Comrade White -
Power Supply: Cooler Master GX2 550watts 80+ Bronze -
Keyboard: Logitech K100 Keyboard -
Mouse: Logitech B100 -

What do you think guys, what are the disadvantage if i build this. Do you think it will run games like GTA 5 with high resolution.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2015, 04:37:48 PM

ODD: Asus OEM DRW-24B1ST -  >> you can remove this if you want
-snip-
You are trying to build a desktop? This is wrong.
That CPU and GPU could be considered low end these days. The CPU will be the bottleneck of that system. Anything under i5 could be considered useless these days.
The GPU is decent, but the X variant is better. With an i7 you could average 30-40 FPS in GTA V (1080p High settings).

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
cjrosero (OP)

To God Be The Glory!

View Profile
June 12, 2015, 05:14:06 PM

ODD: Asus OEM DRW-24B1ST -  >> you can remove this if you want
-snip-
You are trying to build a desktop? This is wrong.
That CPU and GPU could be considered low end these days. The CPU will be the bottleneck of that system. Anything under i5 could be considered useless these days.
The GPU is decent, but the X variant is better. With an i7 you could average 30-40 FPS in GTA V (1080p High settings).

well thank you for that advice. .im planning to buy laptop but after reading some suggestion and search the net i would like to setup my own Computer, Can you recommend me some site where i can view some list of item where i can buy each. individually,
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2015, 05:17:04 PM

well thank you for that advice. .im planning to buy laptop but after reading some suggestion and search the net i would like to setup my own Computer, Can you recommend me some site where i can view some list of item where i can buy each. individually,
Well you can buy them at just about any online retailer. This really depends on where you live.
Anything like Amazon, Ebay, Newegg and such.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
cjrosero (OP)

To God Be The Glory!

View Profile
June 12, 2015, 05:36:47 PM

Well you can buy them at just about any online retailer. This really depends on where you live.
Anything like Amazon, Ebay, Newegg and such.

Bro im a bit Confuse about GPU and CPU what are their difference i search but i still dont understand im sorry for asking this. is GPU your talking about arethe Video Card .?
ultrahd

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 12, 2015, 07:27:09 PM

26 new from $1,048.00 2 used from $970.32

ASUS ROG GL551JW-DS71 Gaming Laptop. 15.6” FHD Standard Display.
 NVIDIA GTX960M 2G GDDR5. Intel Core i7-4720HQ 2.6GHz (Turbo up to 3.6GHz).
 16GB DDR3L (1600MHz). 1TB 7200RPM Hard Drive. 720P Webcam. DL DVDRW/CD-RW.
802.11A/B/G/N. Gigabit 10/100/1000 Ethernet. Bluetooth 4.0. Windows 8.1.

Screen Size   15.6 inches
Max Screen Resolution   1920*1080 pixels
Processor   2.6 GHz Core i7-4720HQ
RAM   16 GB DDR3
Hard Drive   1024 GB
Graphics Coprocessor   NVIDIA GTX960M 2G GDDR5
Wireless Type   802.11 a/g/n
Number of USB 3.0 Ports   3
Expand
Other Technical Details
Brand Name   Asus
Series   Asus GL551JW
Item model number   GL551JW-DS71
Operating System   Windows 8.1
Item Weight   6 pounds
Item Dimensions L x W x H   17.40 x 3.80 x 12.80 inches
Processor Brand   Intel
Processor Count   4
Hard Drive Rotational Speed   7200 RPM
Optical Drive Type   DL DVD±RW/CD-RW
Batteries:   1 Lithium ion batteries required. (included)
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2015, 07:58:24 PM

Bro im a bit Confuse about GPU and CPU what are their difference i search but i still dont understand im sorry for asking this. is GPU your talking about arethe Video Card .?
CPU = central processing unit; i.e. that is your processor
GPU = Graphics processing unit; i.e. that is your video card

OP the only problem that I see is that you have no monitor or peripherals. Because of this you can't build the best possible desktop.
Is it possible that you could add another $100 to the build to buy the i5 instead of i3?

-snip-
OP has already stated that he is going to try building a desktop now. Your post is invalid.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
cjrosero (OP)

To God Be The Glory!

View Profile
June 12, 2015, 09:30:46 PM

CPU = central processing unit; i.e. that is your processor
GPU = Graphics processing unit; i.e. that is your video card

OP the only problem that I see is that you have no monitor or peripherals. Because of this you can't build the best possible desktop.
Is it possible that you could add another $100 to the build to buy the i5 instead of i3?

-snip-
OP has already stated that he is going to try building a desktop now. Your post is invalid.

Thank you again, i have been thingking to go for i5 Thank you for the advice , soo the better thing to have is having a good Video Card and Processor  is that it on Building a Gaming PC? how much would you thing it cost does it cover my budget.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2015, 10:14:29 PM

Thank you again, i have been thingking to go for i5 Thank you for the advice , soo the better thing to have is having a good Video Card and Processor  is that it on Building a Gaming PC? how much would you thing it cost does it cover my budget.
I could help you with some build and you would need around $1100-1200 to make it.
Something in the lines of Motherboard + CPU + GPU. This should be a good start I think.
That's just over $500. Note: You can change the motherboard (didn't research) according to your own preferences (just watch the socket).
The problem is that additional upgrades only cost a little. I've had the same problem when building mine, e.g. GPU with 4GB is just $40 more than the one that I linked.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
8BallCoinsForSale

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 13, 2015, 09:22:14 PM

If you want to go the Desktop route but still want semi portability, Mini ITX build all the way. It's amazing how much power you can fit in such a small case.
Mitchell
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 3962
Merit: 2201

Verified awesomeness ✔

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2015, 09:26:23 PM

>gaming laptop
Op, people dont use laptops to play games, if you keep it on for too long it will overheat or get damaged, but if you absolutely need a laptop, I guess a chromebook will do
Guess my laptop is useless than. Oh no wait, I can play GTA V just fine on it even though it's over 2 years old. Wink

By the way, I would say that an i5 is the absolute minimum for an CPU. An i3 just doesn't cut it.

Duelbits
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

██████▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀█████

▐████████████■▄▄▄■██████████▀
▐██████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀███████████████████▀
    ▀███████████████▀
         ▄ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄▀▀▄      █
         █   ▀▄     █
       ▄█▄     ▀▄   █
      ▄▀ ▀▄      ▀█▀
    ▄▀     ▀█▄▄▄▀▀ ▀
  ▄▀  ▄▀  ▄▀

Live Games

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
 ▄▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▄
▄▀ █ ▄  █  ▄ █ ▀▄
█ █   ▀   ▀   █ █  ▄▄▄
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █ █   █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █▄█
█ ▀▀█  ▀▀█  ▀▀█ █  █▄█

Slots
        ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
        █         ▄▄  █
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄       █
█  ▄▄         █       █
█             █       █
█   ▄▀▀▄▀▀▄   █       █
█   ▀▄   ▄▀   █       █

Blackjack
|█▀▀▀▀▀█▄▄▄
       ▀████▄▄
         ██████▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀    ▀▀█
████████▄        █
█████████▄        █
██████████▄     ▄██
█████████▀▀▀█▄▄████
▀▀███▀▀       ████
   █          ███
   █          █▀
▄█████▄▄▄ ▄▄▀▀
███████▀▀▀
                 NEW!                  
SPORTS BETTING 
|||
[ Đ ][ Ł ]
AVAILABLE NOW

Advertisements are not endorsed by me.
cjrosero (OP)

To God Be The Glory!

View Profile
June 13, 2015, 09:40:12 PM

>gaming laptop
Op, people dont use laptops to play games, if you keep it on for too long it will overheat or get damaged, but if you absolutely need a laptop, I guess a chromebook will do
Guess my laptop is useless than. Oh no wait, I can play GTA V just fine on it even though it's over 2 years old. Wink

By the way, I would say that an i5 is the absolute minimum for an CPU. An i3 just doesn't cut it.

Okey ill go for i5 instead of i3
Thank you again, i have been thingking to go for i5 Thank you for the advice , soo the better thing to have is having a good Video Card and Processor  is that it on Building a Gaming PC? how much would you thing it cost does it cover my budget.
I could help you with some build and you would need around $1100-1200 to make it.
Something in the lines of Motherboard + CPU + GPU. This should be a good start I think.
That's just over $500. Note: You can change the motherboard (didn't research) according to your own preferences (just watch the socket).
The problem is that additional upgrades only cost a little. I've had the same problem when building mine, e.g. GPU with 4GB is just $40 more than the one that I linked.

ill be checking this one. Thank you.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: