Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:07:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining Questions  (Read 1355 times)
left-ca (OP)

Activity: 184
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 09:56:59 PM

I used to be a huge bitcoin enthusiast however it dwindled as I lost what I had in the edgecoin and sharecoin scam. I am graduating from highschool in 2 days from now and In college there is free electricity. I just ordered a Antminer S2 to test at home so I have sort of a jist of things in college....however I have a few questions

On the colleges internet you have to sign in before you can use it......will this work for the miners, how would i set it up? (if its possible to set up)

What other miners should I be aware of for other potential purchasing options so I can help secure the bitcoin network while mining Cheesy

thanks
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
alh
Legendary

Activity: 1843
Merit: 1050

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 11:43:49 PM

You should seriously rethink your plans for "mining at college", particularly in the hopes of "free electricity" to improve your finances. Unless you are going to live in a warehouse, you'll almost certainly find your living quarters to be entirely unsuitable for anything but "casual mining". The S2 you mentioned is a 1000W beast that is likely to be way too loud and way to hot for a dorm room, particularly if you have a room mate. Besides the Internet access issues, you will almost certainly find that there is a significant limit to the amount of "free electricity" you can actually use. College kids think that electricity is "free" only because they aren't getting separate bill for it. Your living quarters almost certainly have an expected electrical usage that does NOT contemplate running a Bitcoin miner.

If you are lucky, you'll be allowed to just turn off your miner during the first few weeks of school. If you aren't you may be back at Mom and Dad's house after having been expelled.

Electricity isn't free, and I am pretty sure the college administration knows that and will make you aware of it as well.
left-ca (OP)

Activity: 184

View Profile
May 28, 2015, 12:14:24 AM

I never thought about it that way. Mabye ill just stick with the S2 if it works as i hope it does
Xialla
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

/dev/null

View Profile
May 28, 2015, 04:36:37 PM

In college there is free electricity.

my dear friend, there is nothing like "free" electricity in this fancy world. period.

please forgot about amazing ideas like "mining at collage", buy some BTC at current price and thanks me later.
dmwardjr
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1318

Technical Analyst/Trader

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 09:22:45 PM

They are telling you right.  You MIGHT get away with that one S2 in terms of staying under the weather for power costs.  The moment you add another rig with similar wattage, it may draw too much attention to power usage by those who monitor it.  You will also notice a significant increase in heat in your dorm.  If you have a roommate, they will not appreciate the noise nor the heat generated from the rigs.

You will be better off buying btc now before the halving.

Follow me on Trading View for excellent signals in Bitcoin/US dollar - Bitstamp - https://www.tradingview.com/u/WyckoffMode/.  You can follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/ModeWyckoff My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8IbhpQwrTD6BozJPWnyAHA  My Discord Invite Link: https://discord.com/invite/3EJYTytaTT  My Website is in LIVE BETA: https://wyckoffmode.com/
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 01:16:11 AM

They are telling you right.  You MIGHT get away with that one S2 in terms of staying under the weather for power costs.  The moment you add another rig with similar wattage, it may draw too much attention to power usage by those who monitor it.  You will also notice a significant increase in heat in your dorm.  If you have a roommate, they will not appreciate the noise nor the heat generated from the rigs.

You will be better off buying btc now before the halving.

Even if you get away with it it's going to have noise most would not want in there college living space.  I did not mine in my dorm or appartment later on.  I always kept miners with family with room for them.

Also with being on campus it depends on your setup.  Some schools you will have trouble as all the security they add to make sure it's you and it could be a tough thing.   If you just need to agree to TOS you might be able to clone mac address and put it on computer for a minute and click ok on TOS stuff.  And hopefully that would get it past the software.
michinzx

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 04:26:35 PM

I used to be a huge bitcoin enthusiast however it dwindled as I lost what I had in the edgecoin and sharecoin scam. I am graduating from highschool in 2 days from now and In college there is free electricity. I just ordered a Antminer S2 to test at home so I have sort of a jist of things in college....however I have a few questions

On the colleges internet you have to sign in before you can use it......will this work for the miners, how would i set it up? (if its possible to set up)

What other miners should I be aware of for other potential purchasing options so I can help secure the bitcoin network while mining Cheesy

thanks

before you get excited with the free electricity at the dorms, you should really reconsider the cons of having a miner in your living space; itll be loud and the antminer will generate A LOT of heat, im not sure the tradeoff will be entirely worth it.
Unbelive

Activity: 210

Invest & Earn: https://cloudthink.io

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 05:41:13 PM

ha ha and he had such a  good idea.
If they would give free electricity to students, then everyone would go study.

muhrohmat

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 05:49:21 PM

well this its like we see the world and people and our ingenuite thinks its all good but the world of bussiness of a btc and alt coins its a bit into mined desonesty and lact of trasparency we need to be more aware of the right resons to have the btc into a better world of bussiness tranparecy coins not the injury acts that may come in some bussiness

SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2015, 01:26:03 PM

I used to be a huge bitcoin enthusiast however it dwindled as I lost what I had in the edgecoin and sharecoin scam.

Besides your question... reading that sentence let me wonder how scamcoins could hurt your enthusiasm. Its not Bitcoin, you tried and failed, though these losses are things that most experienced. These things are something besides bitcoin for the most part, dont blame bitcoin for it... Wink

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
June 11, 2015, 12:47:35 AM

I used to be a huge bitcoin enthusiast however it dwindled as I lost what I had in the edgecoin and sharecoin scam.

Besides your question... reading that sentence let me wonder how scamcoins could hurt your enthusiasm. Its not Bitcoin, you tried and failed, though these losses are things that most experienced. These things are something besides bitcoin for the most part, dont blame bitcoin for it... Wink

And at least you tried and will know.  My personality is I would have rather tried then not, or I always would wonder what if.

At this point I do stay in BTC mainly.  Just a lot of pump/dump in alt coins.   But I see BTC as having a very bright future.   Don't let one or two bad coins ruin it for you.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: