Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 05:12:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 7/Ubuntu dual boot  (Read 475 times)
admissions (OP)

Activity: 107
Merit: 12

View Profile
May 28, 2015, 11:29:11 PM

Main OS: Windows 7. Mostly, playing games and social browsing.
Secondary OS: Ubuntu, Stores Bitcoin and logging into sensitive data with addons such as no script etc.

I was wondering if the main OS encountered a virus/malware then would this affect the dual boot? Would it affect ubuntu. I understand that it takes different types of viruses for windows and linux. However lets just say it can affect both. is it possible for the virus to spread onto my dual boot?

Reason im asking my wallet is stored on ubuntu and I recently encourted ad ware and it made me think twice.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
May 28, 2015, 11:50:25 PM

It is very unlikely something like that to happen, usually virus programmers ignore linux, it just doesn't compensate their time.

If something happens and you find yourself unable to boot your systems you can easily restore Ubuntu's boot.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows

achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6631

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2015, 11:53:52 PM

Main OS: Windows 7. Mostly, playing games and social browsing.
Secondary OS: Ubuntu, Stores Bitcoin and logging into sensitive data with addons such as no script etc.

I was wondering if the main OS encountered a virus/malware then would this affect the dual boot? Would it affect ubuntu. I understand that it takes different types of viruses for windows and linux. However lets just say it can affect both. is it possible for the virus to spread onto my dual boot?
Theoretically, yes. In actuallity, no. The virus would need admin privileges in order to mount the disk or partition with Ubuntu, and it would need to install drivers to read the different drive formatting. Furthermore, due to the permissions on a Linux system, anything written to the Ubuntu disk from windows probably doesn't have the permissions to run. Even, so, the virus could still exploit something in Ubuntu in order to run.

This attack is highly unlikely, and I think it would only happen if you were targeted specifically. If you are paranoid, I would advise updating both OSes frequently and being careful of what you browse. Encrypt all your data on the Ubuntu OS. If it is on a second disk, I you should be able to encrypt that disk (it may even work on a partition, I'm not sure), which would prevent anyone from being able to read the data without the password, thus preventing any attack from Windows to Ubuntu, provided of course, you don't have a keylogger and never used the decryption password in Windows.

maheshmahi

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 29, 2015, 02:47:59 AM

Actually it will not.. Because Ubuntu Linux are created such that they are virus free.... But sometimes loader may affect your OS.... And if operating system like Linux are once affected they are hard to recover. So it will be better that you store your wallet in some other
Leeroy Jenkins

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

Mmmh mhmhh mmmm.

View Profile
May 29, 2015, 07:57:06 AM

If the malware on Windows affects your bootloader and it is OS agnostic (extremely rare) then yes. But the chances are so slim you don't have much to worry about unless a nation state is targeting you obviously. I wouldn't dualboot though. If you have a spare harddrive, you should just use that instead. And why use Ubuntu? There are so many better distros out there.

Federal Trade Commission vs Butterfly Labs

Made ya look. ; )

brush242 ( https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=199652 ) aka TheBitcoinimist aka Rush Reid aka Ken Hunlenton aka Steve Reid aka perfectlycromulentword aka Stephen Mark Reid says: "BFL is fucked" READ THE EARTH-SHATTERING COMMENTARY AT >>>> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=150803.msg9614841#msg9614841 <<<<
SOAD

Activity: 324

View Profile
May 29, 2015, 12:32:43 PM

If the malware on Windows affects your bootloader and it is OS agnostic (extremely rare) then yes. But the chances are so slim you don't have much to worry about unless a nation state is targeting you obviously. I wouldn't dualboot though. If you have a spare harddrive, you should just use that instead.

Yup, you'll be very safe with ubuntu I think. I don't think there's anything wrong with dual booting, but if he's on a laptop that'll be his only choice. You could also just choose to boot ubuntu from a live usd or cd instead.

And why use Ubuntu? There are so many better distros out there.

Why not? What's wrong with ubuntu and what else would you recommend?

Leeroy Jenkins

Activity: 420

Mmmh mhmhh mmmm.

View Profile
May 29, 2015, 03:10:27 PM

It isn't simple and not easily customized. Anything that is closer to straightup GNU/Linux is better. Even plain Debian would be a better choice! Any system that is made with locks in place and makes it hard to use new kernels should be avoided.

Ubuntu is like Mint. It's what you would use while wanting to avoid GNU/Linux. You pay for it eventually.

Federal Trade Commission vs Butterfly Labs

Made ya look. ; )

brush242 ( https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=199652 ) aka TheBitcoinimist aka Rush Reid aka Ken Hunlenton aka Steve Reid aka perfectlycromulentword aka Stephen Mark Reid says: "BFL is fucked" READ THE EARTH-SHATTERING COMMENTARY AT >>>> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=150803.msg9614841#msg9614841 <<<<
SOAD

Activity: 324

View Profile
May 29, 2015, 05:25:09 PM

It isn't simple and not easily customized. Anything that is closer to straightup GNU/Linux is better. Even plain Debian would be a better choice! Any system that is made with locks in place and makes it hard to use new kernels should be avoided.

Ubuntu is like Mint. It's what you would use while wanting to avoid GNU/Linux. You pay for it eventually.

If you're not that good with computers or a beginner of linux then ubuntu is great. I think most people really don't care about customization especially the non techies.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: