Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 02:52:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrical Question about SP35 Yukons  (Read 1043 times)
j33hopper (OP)

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 29, 2015, 10:30:18 AM

Hey everyone,

I purchased 3x Sp35 Yukons back in Feb and fired them up on Feb 5th.  Living in Michigan, USA, Im paying 15 cents a KWH for electricity.   Doing my due diligence prior to purchasing the units, I came up with a cost per month of around $490.00 total based on 4800 KW.   After fighting with DTE(local electrical company) for several months, I finally got them to come out and due a actual read on my meter and they are saying I owe $4000.00 as of May 28th.  My question is, have did some mathematical error somewhere?  Im sorta second guess myself.

Thanks for any help,
James
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 29, 2015, 10:56:40 AM

Hey everyone,

I purchased 3x Sp35 Yukons back in Feb and fired them up on Feb 5th.  Living in Michigan, USA, Im paying 15 cents a KWH for electricity.   Doing my due diligence prior to purchasing the units, I came up with a cost per month of around $490.00 total based on 4800 KW.   After fighting with DTE(local electrical company) for several months, I finally got them to come out and due a actual read on my meter and they are saying I owe $4000.00 as of May 28th.  My question is, have did some mathematical error somewhere?  Im sorta second guess myself.

Thanks for any help,
James

So down to the math:
3 SP35 is around = 3650 x 3 = 10950
Take that to find daily paying -http://www.coinwarz.com/ - 39.42
Take to months=  39.42 x 30 (approx) = around 1182.6 per month
So in 4 months of running 4k would around right.

Mining at 15 cents is not suggested it's just to high.  You might sell gear and try to pay for some of the electricity.  Sadly I think if you sold all the gear you will be at a loss with electricity cost.
zombie007

Activity: 214
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 29, 2015, 10:58:34 AM

Hey everyone,

Thanks for any help,
James

Nominal consumption is 3650W/machine
Its about 10KWH/hour/3 machine
240KWH/day/3machines

about 36usd/day ?

Am i correct?

z

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2015, 11:01:24 AM

Hey everyone,

Thanks for any help,
James

Nominal consumption is 3650W/machine
Its about 10KWH/hour/3 machine
240KWH/day/3machines

about 36usd/day ?

Am i correct?

z

Look up one quote Smiley.  You are close it's around 39.

So it adds up overtime.  Especially with this big gear.
j33hopper (OP)

View Profile
May 29, 2015, 11:15:44 AM

Thank you guys..I can see I did some mathematical errors..This is gonna hurt.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2015, 11:42:32 AM

If you talk to them they might let you do a payment plan.  Sadly I don't thin they have way as far as forgiveness.

And i HIGHLY suggest under clocking them if your going to use.  But I even more suggest selling the machines and pay part of bill with that.

Out of curiosity how much did you think it would cost?
j33hopper (OP)

View Profile
May 29, 2015, 03:14:53 PM

If you talk to them they might let you do a payment plan.  Sadly I don't thin they have way as far as forgiveness.

And i HIGHLY suggest under clocking them if your going to use.  But I even more suggest selling the machines and pay part of bill with that.

I miscalculated 1600 watts per unit x3 at .15 per 24 hours.  Came to 490.00 per month.

I guess selling them is the best option at this point or moving to North Dakota where electricity is cheap:)
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2015, 07:16:37 PM

If you talk to them they might let you do a payment plan.  Sadly I don't thin they have way as far as forgiveness.

And i HIGHLY suggest under clocking them if your going to use.  But I even more suggest selling the machines and pay part of bill with that.

I miscalculated 1600 watts per unit x3 at .15 per 24 hours.  Came to 490.00 per month.

I guess selling them is the best option at this point or moving to North Dakota where electricity is cheap:)

What is North Dakota's price?  As far as US Washington state is who is known for cheapest electricity.

But it's hard for most to justify a move over electricity prices..
MCHouston

Activity: 882
Merit: 500

Where am I?

View Profile
May 29, 2015, 07:26:39 PM

Each unit uses about 2628 Kwh per month, so you can base your math by using that number.

Might want to see about hosting them or find someone with a cheap electrical contract that will host and split the BTC with you.

Seems you used W instead of kwh, sucks man I wish you the best.

BTC 13WWomzkAoUsXtxANN9f1zRzKusgFWpngJ
LTC LKXYdqRzRC8WciNDtiRwCeb8tZtioZA2Ks
DOGE DMsTJidwkkv2nL7KwwkBbVPfjt3MhS4TZ9
j33hopper (OP)

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 01:45:50 AM

Each unit uses about 2628 Kwh per month, so you can base your math by using that number.

Might want to see about hosting them or find someone with a cheap electrical contract that will host and split the BTC with you.

Yes, that was my error sadly.  A huge one at that.  I am going to try and hold on to them as long as I can and try and work something out.

Thank you to everyone that responded.   This was a hard lesson learned, but I still love bitcoin and all it stands for.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 02:11:07 AM

Yes, that was my error sadly.  A huge one at that.  I am going to try and hold on to them as long as I can and try and work something out.

Thank you to everyone that responded.   This was a hard lesson learned, but I still love bitcoin and all it stands for.

I suggest doing some ROI.  At 15 cents during and with it being summer means extra cooling. There is a decent chance you will be mining at lose.

If you are keeping it make sure to underclock to most efficient settings.  Can make difference between losing and gaining money.
j33hopper (OP)

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 12:59:44 PM

Not to beat a dead horse here, but has anyone tried colocation with bitcoin miners as a way to offset electrical cost?  Is it even a option?  Im not sure what they charge for power usage at these data centers, so im just curious if anyone has any experience with them?
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 01:25:16 PM

Not to beat a dead horse here, but has anyone tried colocation with bitcoin miners as a way to offset electrical cost?  Is it even a option?  Im not sure what they charge for power usage at these data centers, so im just curious if anyone has any experience with them?

There are data centers out there.    Most charge in area of 10 cents.    If your lucky maybe one cheaper.  They get it for decent amount cheaper in most cases.

Yes it's a option.  Search if off so I cant search like normal.  But there is a listing of hosting centers.  Just be very careful as if it goes bad someone can run with your gear.
j33hopper (OP)

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 02:04:29 PM

There are data centers out there.    Most charge in area of 10 cents.    If your lucky maybe one cheaper.  They get it for decent amount cheaper in most cases.

Yes it's a option.  Search if off so I cant search like normal.  But there is a listing of hosting centers.  Just be very careful as if it goes bad someone can run with your gear.

Thanks again for the input.   This gives me something to think about.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: