Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 03:53:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Gavin Threatens to Quit Bitcoin Development and Join Hearn's Fork  (Read 9870 times)
biggus dickus

Activity: 310
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 03:18:02 PM

.... Meanwhile, hitchhiking on Gavin/Hearn-BitcoinXT (marketed to public mainly as a "solution" for max_blocksize) come other changes which where previously rejected by other developers, because they weaken security.

What are the other changes besides bigger blocks in BitcoinXT that could weaken security?
tss

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 03:25:44 PM

i think its a great idea.  run it on bitcoin xt
if bitcoin core never implements it then majority can move to xt nodes if they so choose.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2015, 03:26:57 PM

And nobody actually read his post.

This is the biggest amount of FUD I have seen in a long time.

What do other people think?

If we can't come to an agreement soon, then I'll ask for help
reviewing/submitting patches to Mike's Bitcoin-Xt project that implement a
big increase now that grows over time so we may never have to go through
all this rancor and debate again.

I'll then ask for help lobbying the merchant services and exchanges and
hosted wallet companies and other bitcoind-using-infrastructure companies
(and anybody who agrees with me that we need bigger blocks sooner rather
than later) to run Bitcoin-Xt instead of Bitcoin Core, and state that they
are running it. We'll be able to see uptake on the network by monitoring
client versions.

Perhaps by the time that happens there will be consensus bigger blocks are
needed sooner rather than later; if so, great! The early deployment will
just serve as early testing, and all of the software already deployed will
ready for bigger blocks.

But if there is still no consensus among developers but the "bigger blocks
now" movement is successful, I'll ask for help getting big miners to do the
same, and use the soft-fork block version voting mechanism to (hopefully)
get a majority and then a super-majority willing to produce bigger blocks.
The purpose of that process is to prove to any doubters that they'd better
start supporting bigger blocks or they'll be left behind, and to give them
a chance to upgrade before that happens.

Because if we can't come to consensus here, the ultimate authority for
determining consensus is what code the majority of merchants and exchanges
and miners are running.

--
--
Gavin Andresen

Please point to the place where "Gavin Threatens to Quit Bitcoin Development and Join Hearn's Fork"

thank god the right people (gavin and co) are doing the right things. the morons can spread their FUD - i dont care.

go gavin.  Grin

Sitarow
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1047

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 03:30:02 PM

if bitcoin core never implements it then majority can move to xt nodes if they so choose.

Something like this would happen so fast that it would render the other network unusable.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2015, 03:30:15 PM

-snip-

Please point to the place where "Gavin Threatens to Quit Bitcoin Development and Join Hearn's Fork"

In an endless effort to promote a ShitCoin named GoldCoin, OP is doing all these. Check his post history. I blocked his 2 previous FUD right after his post. But, this time I missed it. Undecided

unfortunately the noobs may believe this shit  Roll Eyes

tss

Activity: 742

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 03:41:23 PM

From my point of view, huge amount of TPS is not necessary, since bitcoin anyway will not be used as a currency at mass scale: If it grows upon certain degree, it will start to affect the fiat money system, and today no sovereign government will allow foreign currency to circulate on domestic market at large scale, since that will make central bank's policy less effective. When you use bitcoin to save for the retirement, one transaction per month is quite enough

yes.  also lets not devalue bitcoin by stuffing the blockchain full of trash.

Something like this would happen so fast that it would render the other network unusable.

how so?  who is using hearn's fork right now?
xDan

Activity: 688

ヽ( ㅇㅅㅇ)ノ ~!!

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 03:43:56 PM

congrats on linking to a totally unbiased resource OP /sarcasm

Other devs don't seem to get it. It's not their decision. It's the community's decision.

An actual democracy. How about that. Ironic how the muh decentralisation crowd get so angry about this. This is EXACTLY how a decision like this should happen. Maybe enough people will upgrade. Maybe they won't. But decision making is outsourced to the users, and isn't confined to the small clique who have control over the repository and the bitcoin.org domain.

It's Bitcoin working exactly as it should.

Labelling Gavin giving people a choice as a "power grab" only demonstrates that you are an incumbent threatened by a reduction of your own power.

HODLing for the longest time. Skippin fast right around the moon. On a rocketship straight to mars.
Up, up and away with my beautiful, my beautiful Bitcoin~
BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 03:44:38 PM

It is a bad thing that one person currently has so much influence on the bitcoin perception
 him leaving should not cause more than a small dip on the news, otherwise it has become to centralized around him.
This. It's starting to sound like as if he was the CEO of Bitcoin. If he wants to leave and work in some forkcoin no one cares about, so what, no one is going to mine that thing beyond a pump and dump cycle.
BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 03:46:24 PM

-snip-

In an endless effort to promote a ShitCoin named GoldCoin, OP is doing all these. Check his post history. I blocked his 2 previous FUD right after his post. But, this time I missed it. Undecided

unfortunately the noobs may believe this shit  Roll Eyes

Oh so is MicroGuy shilling his GoldCoin thing again with FUD? Yeah should have seen this coming. Props on being so persistent on it tho, he's been at it for ages lol.
coinableS
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1179

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2015, 03:48:01 PM

If we can't come to an agreement soon then I will do this and this.

What a terrible and misleading title, he's not quitting or making a threat. Someone needs take a stance on resolving this issue and Gavin has been brainstorming openly with the public and different solutions which I commend. Openly proposing solutions and/or methods to resolve is what we need. If trolls are going to spread FUD on every Gavin post, then so be it; that is what trolls do.  

redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 03:50:40 PM

congrats on linking to a totally unbiased resource OP /sarcasm

Other devs don't seem to get it. It's not their decision. It's the community's decision.

An actual democracy. How about that. Ironic how the muh decentralisation crowd get so angry about this. This is EXACTLY how a decision like this should happen. Maybe enough people will upgrade. Maybe they won't. But decision making is outsourced to the users, and isn't confined to the small clique who have control over the repository and the bitcoin.org domain.

It's Bitcoin working exactly as it should.

Labelling Gavin giving people a choice as a "power grab" only demonstrates that you are an incumbent threatened by a reduction of your own power.

I like to call it anarchy, not democracy but yes it is only a community decision but in this community there the the big miner farm, the speculator, the payment gateway etc... So at the end it is not really our decision.
sdmathis

Activity: 546

AKA The Rubber Monkey

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 04:26:58 PM

It is a bad thing that one person currently has so much influence on the bitcoin perception
 him leaving should not cause more than a small dip on the news, otherwise it has become to centralized around him.

So much for decentralization. Maybe we should change the name to GavinCoin.

I'm joking of course. There's no reason to panic. Gavin is not Bitcoin, and Bitcoin is not Gavin. Let him go.

manselr
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 04:29:11 PM

Other projects of decentralized natures that require of the approval of people running nodes such as Freenet, had hard forks, and guess what, nothing happened. The preferred version continued, the other got deprecated and only a couple dudes still run it for some reason.
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 6653

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2015, 04:38:10 PM

Have you guys noticed that he is asking for opinions? He isn't threatening anything and he wants to implement this, so he is lobbying for people to switch to Bitcoin XT, but there is no threat. I also noticed that Bitcoin XT hasn't been updated in 5 months.

hund

Activity: 130
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 04:43:37 PM

Gavin should GTFO altready and not come back. His altcoin will be a failure. Bitcoin is bigger than Gavin.
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 6653

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2015, 04:49:46 PM

One question is whether Gavin passes off the alert key. If he leaves Bitcoin Core dev and works on Bitcoin XT, will he give the alert key to someone else or will he keep it and once the fork is finished, alert everyone to switch to the fork. That could be the threat, but he doesn't actually threaten anyone in the message to the mailing list.

BTCat
Legendary

Activity: 1960

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 04:58:00 PM

One question is whether Gavin passes off the alert key. If he leaves Bitcoin Core dev and works on Bitcoin XT, will he give the alert key to someone else or will he keep it and once the fork is finished, alert everyone to switch to the fork. That could be the threat, but he doesn't actually threaten anyone in the message to the mailing list.

Mighty guy. Can make Bitcoin how he wants it.
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 05:25:23 PM

Just for fun:

pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 06:20:24 PM

Just for fun:

Yeah, try telling that to people when they try to use BTC and there are so many transactions per second that shit takes ages to get confirmed etc.
Nancarrow

Activity: 492

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 06:20:50 PM

Oh, don't worry. Mircea Popescu's "influence on the bitcoin perception" seems to be waning quite rapidly. Yeah, the first page of this thread was mostly sky-is-falling stuff, but we've turned the corner and the fudsters are being called out. Hell, one guy even posted Gavin's exact words so we wouldn't have to go to the trouble of so many mouse clicks.

If I've said anything amusing and/or informative and you're feeling generous:
1GNJq39NYtf7cn2QFZZuP5vmC1mTs63rEW
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: