Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 11:25:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Choose your pick  (Voting closed: June 09, 2015, 07:40:18 PM)
Core - 96 (45.1%)
XT - 117 (54.9%)
Total Voters: 213

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Core or XT? POLL  (Read 12702 times)
GTO911 (OP)

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 07:40:18 PM
Last edit: May 30, 2015, 07:55:18 PM by GTO911

Time to exercise your voting rights people

Cast your votes - ( Result to be announced after voting ends )

If your opinion changes, you can change your vote too

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2015, 07:46:01 PM

I voted for XT because it has a more modern feel and Satoshi hand-picked Gavin.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 07:51:37 PM

xt for me too, i'm with Gavin on this, because the fork is needed, and there are no better alternative for now, also others dev should provide at least their reason for not accepting the upgrade
coinableS
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1179

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2015, 07:52:11 PM

I like the idea that XT progressively increases the blocksize limit, but I think it would be better to fix core instead of switching entirely. However I need more information comparing the two. It would be nice if someone could post a quick comparison table between core and xt so everyone knows what they are voting for.

Netnox
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1008

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 07:54:52 PM

So wait at what price will XT start at 0? and will the specifications be just like Bitcoin apart from its block size?
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 07:56:19 PM

I like the idea that XT progressively increases the blocksize limit, but I think it would be better to fix core instead of switching entirely. However I need more information comparing the two. It would be nice if someone could post a quick comparison table between core and xt so everyone knows what they are voting for.

apparently it has only two new features which are getutxo and double spend relay enhancements.

and Core was not the original name also, XT is returning more to the QT path as a name...
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 07:56:47 PM

Gavin Andresen is Bitcoin. How could anyone vote against him?

Eastfist

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2015, 07:57:05 PM

I voted for XT because it has a more modern feel and Satoshi hand-picked Gavin.

Factually incorrect. Unfortunately, people will never learn the truth. Handing Gavin the paper doesn't mean anything other than handing him the paper. Gavin likes to think he was "chosen" by Satoshi, which is not true.
SpanishSoldier

Activity: 686
Merit: 255

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 08:00:25 PM

Before I cast my vote, I need to know more about XT. In which language it is written ? Where do I get to see the source code ? Who are the people in control of the source code ?
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6631

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2015, 08:03:30 PM

Before I cast my vote, I need to know more about XT. In which language it is written ? Where do I get to see the source code ? Who are the people in control of the source code ?
XT is a fork of Bitcoin Core. It is written in C/C++ and the code is located at https://github.com/bitcoinxt/bitcoinxt. Mike Hearn is in control of the code and possibly Gavin now too.

I might switch, if I knew what the differences between Core and XT are. Also, XT is very behind on updates to Core and it hasn't been updated in over 5 months.

coinableS
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1179

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2015, 08:03:55 PM

apparently it has only two new features which are getutxo and double spend relay enhancements.

and Core was not the original name also, XT is returning more to the QT path as a name...

OK was able to find more info on the github page: https://github.com/bitcoinxt/bitcoinxt

Bitcoin XT is a patch set on top of Bitcoin Core, with a focus on upgrades to the peer to peer protocol.
1. Relaying of double spends.
2. Support for querying the UTXO set given an outpoint.
Bitcoin XT is more experimental than Bitcoin Core, and has a strong emphasis on supporting the needs of app developers and merchants. By running it you not only provide additional services to the network but help build confidence in the implementations, contributing towards consensus for inclusion in a future version of Bitcoin Core.

XT uses the same data directories as Core so you can easily switch back and forth.

redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 08:19:20 PM

I am also with the XT 'version' ... I have never been in a fork so I do not know what it will happen but I am sure a lot of people will lose a lot of 'real' money. Let's see what it will happen after the complete migration and the new blocksize of 20 MB.
redsn0w
Legendary

#Free market

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 08:26:45 PM

I am also with the XT 'version' ... I have never been in a fork so I do not know what it will happen but I am sure a lot of people will lose a lot of 'real' money. Let's see what it will happen after the complete migration and the new blocksize of 20 MB.

Everybody will keep their money unless someone is stupid and decides to use an incompatible version.

I'm not so secure of this thing , this is what I am thinking that it will be a chaos.
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6631

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2015, 08:29:35 PM

I'm not so secure of this thing , this is what I am thinking that it will be a chaos.
Maybe try it with testnet before using with actual Bitcoins. That way you won't lose any money and you will be able to see whether it works or not.

amiryaqot
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 08:31:19 PM

i also voted for XT and i am also excited for this new fork when it will happen and want to know how people will lose their money for this migration to new blocksize of 20 MB because i was never in a fork so let's see what happens next after this.
redsn0w
Legendary

#Free market

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 08:35:22 PM

Maybe try it with testnet before using with actual Bitcoins. That way you won't lose any money and you will be able to see whether it works or not.

I will not lose my money because I will convert all my bitcoin to another altcoin or maybe better convert them to € or $ (this in my opinion is the most reasonable thing to do, or maybe also hold and hope to be in the right chain).

I'm not so secure of this thing

An overwhelming majority of Bitcoin users (both in total numbers and economically) is in favour of Gavin's proposal.

With my "I'm not so secure of this thing" I wanted to say that I lot of people will not keep their money and it will cause themselves a damage also if they are in favour of the Gavin's proposal (because they will not know what they should do).

MakingMoneyHoney

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 08:36:03 PM

i also voted for XT and i am also excited for this new fork when it will happen and want to know how people will lose their money for this migration to new blocksize of 20 MB because i was never in a fork so let's see what happens next after this.

They can lose money if they buy one of these coins (Bitcoin or XT/GavinCoin) after the fork happens in the case that the one they buy doesn't make it....

Also, if it tanks the price of both coins from fear and uncertainty... then you won't be able to buy as much with what you have as you used to.

I will not lose my money because I will convert all my bitcoin to another altcoin or maybe better convert them to € or $ (this in my opinion is the most reasonable thing to do, or maybe also hold and hope to be in the right chain).

Also everyone deciding to sell their Bitcoin before the fork, may tank the price... and people who keep their money in Bitcoin could lose value for their coins too.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2015, 08:38:45 PM

i dont understand why this isnt possible Huh maybe someone can explain that.

winspiral
Legendary

Merit: 1026

Free WSPU2 Token or real dollars

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2015, 08:39:14 PM

not sure i have understood
I voted for bitcoin core
I have bitcoin core
I do absolutly not know XT

LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2015, 08:41:28 PM

OK was able to find more info on the github page: https://github.com/bitcoinxt/bitcoinxt

Bitcoin XT is a patch set on top of Bitcoin Core, with a focus on upgrades to the peer to peer protocol.
1. Relaying of double spends.
2. Support for querying the UTXO set given an outpoint.
Bitcoin XT is more experimental than Bitcoin Core, and has a strong emphasis on supporting the needs of app developers and merchants. By running it you not only provide additional services to the network but help build confidence in the implementations, contributing towards consensus for inclusion in a future version of Bitcoin Core.

XT uses the same data directories as Core so you can easily switch back and forth.

thx. i guess most people dont have a clue and this is the reason they are afraid.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: