Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 05:34:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Missing Bitcoin???  (Read 2712 times)
Malooka (OP)
Copper Member

Activity: 289
Merit: 254

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 06:53:39 AM
Last edit: December 28, 2017, 12:49:55 AM by Malooka

I have no idea what is going on here.

My regular wallet is on my laptop.

Exported private keys when I went on vacation.

Imported private keys while on vacation onto my tablet.

Deposited some BTC to Cryptsy to buy some Ripple.

When I returned home I started up the wallet on my laptop and it says I have way less than I actually have.

3.62077 – laptop says I sent this, I did NOT
.01 - tablet says I sent this – I DID

What is going on!?

My laptop wallet says I have 8.0077071 BTC
Tablet wallet says I have 14.57890441 BTC

The tablet is correct, but why won’t the wallet on my laptop reflect this?  How do I fix it?

OK – just now to test I sent .001 from the tablet wallet to Cryptsy.  Laptop wallet says I just sent .2419!

Huh??

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2015, 07:11:20 AM

I have no idea what is going on here.

My regular wallet is on my laptop.

Exported private keys when I went on vacation.

Imported private keys while on vacation onto my tablet.

Deposited some BTC to Cryptsy to buy some Ripple.

When I returned home I started up the wallet on my laptop and it says I have way less than I actually have.

e.g. this transaction:

https://blockchain.info/tx-index/acf04882a3ba85f37c7212de9055c5c33f2f2f79f81c180ff9bbb306a55bdecb

3.62077 – laptop says I sent this, I did NOT
.01 - tablet says I sent this – I DID

What is going on!?

My laptop wallet says I have 8.0077071 BTC
Tablet wallet says I have 14.57890441 BTC

The tablet is correct, but why won’t the wallet on my laptop reflect this?  How do I fix it?

OK – just now to test I sent .001 from the tablet wallet to Cryptsy.  Laptop wallet says I just sent .2419!

Huh??

I assume you are using some kind of non deterministic wallet (like bitcoin core or the "old" multibit"). Judging by the section it would be bitcoin core, but that would be pretty heavy on a tablet. Anyway...

The TX in question is sending change worth ~3.6 BTC to 14qejgAVxgrm22d9jX8hbLA19CW3WmLYxq

The private key for this address was probably generated by your tablet and thus your laptop wallet does not know about it. Seeing that you are missing a bigger amount there are probably more transactions like these which resulted in change.

Export all private keys from the tablet and import them into the laptop wallet.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Malooka (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 07:14:55 AM

I can only "Backup Wallet" from the tablet software, and Multibit can't seem to read the file.

I take it I need to upgrade to the latest Multibit?
Malooka (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 07:30:39 AM

Or not - I have the latest version.

The Bitcoin software on the tablet has a "wallet backup" - but it won't import into Multibit at all.  There's no .KEY extension.
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2015, 07:46:55 AM

Which wallet are you using in tablet? It's name?

notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 09:25:26 AM

The tablet is correct, but why won’t the wallet on my laptop reflect this?  How do I fix it?

OK – just now to test I sent .001 from the tablet wallet to Cryptsy.  Laptop wallet says I just sent .2419!

It appears your talking about this address: https://blockchain.info/address/13Aqpr7qvUQdNpbjKKqx7u7jnqxk3DyXaj

Sadly the laptop is right it shows a transaction of that amount with conformations.  So it did happen.  All you have left is - Final Balance    0.2752 BTC

So it appears something is infected or compromised.  The tablet has a high chance as it happened right after all this it sounds.  I would blow away tablet and reinstall a firmware not a backup.

I would send what's left of that address to another account. 
ragi

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 09:28:15 AM

Looks like the funds went to a change address.

no.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 01:00:22 PM

As Shorena has indicated, most Bitcoin wallets are not designed to be aware of other other wallets that are using the same private keys.  Many of them will generate a brand new address and private key to store any change from a transaction, and any other wallet that has access to the same bitcoins won't know what happened.

What you probably should have done to avoid the problem is to have created a brand new wallet with new addresses on the tablet.  Then you could have sent from the computer to the tablet (with a transaction) any bitcoins that you wanted to have access to from the tablet.  Then when you were done with the tablet, you could have sent any remaining bitcoins back to the computer.

Trying to maintain access to the same bitcoins from more than one wallet at the same time will generally lead to confusion and occasionally lead to permanently lost bitcoins if you don't understand how bitcoin works and aren't careful about how you respond to the confusing situations that arise.
Malooka (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 01:37:40 PM

It is called simply "Bitcoin"

Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2015, 01:40:57 PM

It is called simply "Bitcoin".

Link to the wallet?

Malooka (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 01:59:14 PM

It looks like this one:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.schildbach.wallet&hl=en

I can backup the wallet and email it to myself - but the file has no extension so not sure what good that does exactly? Sad
Malooka (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 02:01:37 PM

It appears your talking about this address: https://blockchain.info/address/13Aqpr7qvUQdNpbjKKqx7u7jnqxk3DyXaj

Sadly the laptop is right it shows a transaction of that amount with conformations.  So it did happen.  All you have left is - Final Balance    0.2752 BTC

So it appears something is infected or compromised.  The tablet has a high chance as it happened right after all this it sounds.  I would blow away tablet and reinstall a firmware not a backup.

I would send what's left of that address to another account.  

If that's the case why does my tablet wallet say I have 14.57890441?

And if that's the case, Bitcoin really is shit!

DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 02:44:08 PM

- snip -
(Absolutely horrible advice that will result in the permanent loss of bitcoins)
- snip -
If that's the case
- snip -

Please note:

You would do well not to take advice from anybody that has an advertisement in their signature space on this forum.

The vast majority of those are people that are being paid per post to advertise with those signatures.  Therefore, they'll say just about anything in a discussion thread just to increase their post count (and therefore increase their income).  Generally, they know less about the topic they are discussing than the person asking the questions.
Malooka (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 02:49:48 PM

Just scanned the tablet with Malwarebytes Mobile - zero problems detected.

It appears I am using the Schildbach wallet, which encrypts the private keys in a strange way that appears very difficult to import to Multibit.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 02:58:54 PM

It appears I am using the Schildbach wallet, which encrypts the private keys in a strange way that appears very difficult to import to Multibit.

Instead of importing private keys, try just sending your entire balance, via a transaction, from your tablet wallet to an address on your computer wallet.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2015, 03:18:16 PM

Instead of importing private keys, try just sending your entire balance, via a transaction, from your tablet wallet to an address on your computer wallet.

This is probably the only solid advice to follow here, among with the "how to avoid this in the future advice" by Danny above. After you send the TX your multibit wallet will probably be "confused" and possibly show more coins than it actually has or an otherwise wrong balance. Assuming you are using 0.5.18 and not the multibit HD beta you can fix this by clicking Tools -> Reset Blockchain and Transactions. This will make sure multibit rescans the blockchain and thus corrects its local data.

The Schildbach app on your tablet is aimed at beginners. AFAIK it is lacking features that might result in loss of coins, such as exporting keys. Exporting keys is a typical source of "theft" or "lost coins". It is possible to decode the wallet file by hand, but it might result in more problems along the way and its saver (and easier) to just issue a transaction.

Malooka (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 03:21:47 PM

OK, I did reset and it still shows the incorrect 8+ balance.

If the tablet Schildbach wallet shows 14+, do I have 14+ ?
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2015, 03:25:09 PM

OK, I did reset and it still shows the incorrect 8+ balance.

If the tablet Schildbach wallet shows 14+, do I have 14+ ?

Yes, think about it like this:

The Schildbach app knows all the private keys Multibit has, but also ones that have been generated when you create a transaction. These newly generated keys are not known to multibit, thus multibit does not know they are yours and is not tracking them as part of your balance.

I did try to reset in Multibit, still shows 8+

Create the TX first, wait till it confirms. Multbit might also show the balance correctly afterwards, but after you made the TX, its confirmed and multibit is still showing the incorrect balance, do a Blockchain reset.

Malooka (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 03:26:52 PM

Oh - and I have tried sending a small amount to the laptop wallet address (Multibit)

Schildbach just shows a transaction with a question mark and nothing else.

Perhaps creating a new wallet and sending the BTC from Schildbach to Multibit will work?
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2015, 03:34:52 PM

Oh - and I have tried sending a small amount to the laptop wallet address (Multibit)

Schildbach just shows a transaction with a question mark and nothing else.

It will take some time to confirm. Multibit should show it right away if not let it confirm first and afterwards reset blockchain again. Confirmations show as a (partly filled) green circle in schildbach app. Here is an old screenshot -> https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ZI9-FqBJYdY/UG8Qy4NagFI/AAAAAAAAADI/TorYwX63ZJw/s914/bitcoin-sending.png
I only have fully confirmed TX atm and I dont use the wallet often so I am not 100% sure if the style was changed, but it should be similar.

Perhaps creating a new wallet and sending the BTC from Schildbach to Multibit will work?

You could certainly do this, but it would possibly create other problems. E.g. some of the address you used in your old wallet in multibit might still receive coins which you would have to send to the new wallet from time to time etc.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: