Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 03:40:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Thoughts on "holding" Bitcoin  (Read 6436 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Mickeyb

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 08:09:18 AM

I think that some of your bitcoins should be lended or invested. Holding 100% of your bitcoins is a good strategy, but in my opinion, holding 80% of them and lending/investing 20% of them is a better strategy.

No, no, and no. Unfortunately if you do this, there are big chances that you will be 20% shorter on your bitcoins one day, since you will get scammed.

I would hold all my coins in the cold storage except the ones I have for daily spending.

I tend more towards the 80% cold storage / 20% investment side (though right now it's more like 95%/5%), but I'd certainly tend towards recommending 100% cold storage as a general rule. But... I don't think the risk of being 20% shorter is that big - unless you stick all your 20% in one "investment" (and I'd hope no one would do that). Part of investing is managing risk, and a big part of managing risk is spreading investments - not putting all your eggs in one basket.

I understand what you are trying to say, but I hope that you are aware that many people don't know how to manage this risk, especially new people. Also there is no good place to invest your coins at the moment. 95% of all the options are either scams or too big of the risk of just not getting ROI and even losing. Not even trading, investing into new coins. Everything has just stopped.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mickeyb

Activity: 798

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 08:11:35 AM

I think that some of your bitcoins should be lended or invested. Holding 100% of your bitcoins is a good strategy, but in my opinion, holding 80% of them and lending/investing 20% of them is a better strategy.

No, no, and no. Unfortunately if you do this, there are big chances that you will be 20% shorter on your bitcoins one day, since you will get scammed.

I would hold all my coins in the cold storage except the ones I have for daily spending.

But if we do not use (circulate) bitcoin, then it is no use. The value will drop.

I did say above except the ones I have for daily spending. There is a big difference between daily spending and investing into shady services that will just make you lose your money and after some time your interest and faith in crypto and Bitcoin in general.
LMGTFY

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 08:19:16 AM

I tend more towards the 80% cold storage / 20% investment side (though right now it's more like 95%/5%), but I'd certainly tend towards recommending 100% cold storage as a general rule. But... I don't think the risk of being 20% shorter is that big - unless you stick all your 20% in one "investment" (and I'd hope no one would do that). Part of investing is managing risk, and a big part of managing risk is spreading investments - not putting all your eggs in one basket.

I understand what you are trying to say, but I hope that you are aware that many people don't know how to manage this risk, especially new people. Also there is no good place to invest your coins at the moment. 95% of all the options are either scams or too big of the risk of just not getting ROI and even losing. Not even trading, investing into new coins. Everything has just stopped.

Sadly, I think you're all too correct - that's why I'd tend towards recommending 100% cold storage (at least until I felt comfortable that the person I was discussing it with understood risk). The 5% I still have on exchanges is mostly for hedging, and I think even that's a big ask for many traders/investors (and, right now, it's limited to one exchange - which is far from ideal in itself).

This space intentionally left blank.
mouneshwar123

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

Large scale, green crypto mining ICO

View Profile
November 19, 2015, 06:19:08 PM

There is a big difference: We know dollars will have the same purchasing power, if not less, in 10 years.

With Bitcoin, in 10 years it may be 1, 10, or 100K times the purchasing power of a dollar.

Therefore, spending Bitcoins can never be the same as spending dollars, you have a different mindset. For me it feels like buying with Gold.

I spend some of my Bitcoins but not too often, im focused on building up a good stack for the future.

If everyone is sitting on their money it's not going to 100k times the purchasing power. It's stagnating and falling apart. Some merchants stopped accepting it, because nobody used it.

Spending is the same. You can easily repurchase BTC once you have spent some if you're concerned to lose out (if you did that during the last 18 months you could've lost a lot of money)
Yeah if nobody spends BTC then BTC will lose its power, spend BTC like a currency, Save BTC like gold:)

johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 12:57:00 AM

Holding or spending 10 bitcoins have no real difference, they all make 10 bitcoins not available for others (either in your long term storage or in circulation caused by your spending), but holding have significant long term impact to supply (holding 10 bitcoins for 1 year will make the available bitcoin reduce by 10 bitcoins for 1 year, while spending 10 bitcoins would only make it disappear for a while when it is waiting confirmation, unless you spend 10 bitcoins every hour)

This loop:

Why do you hold bitcoin?
- because it will become more valuable
Why would it become more valuable?
- because I hold it

The biggest demand for bitcoin is buy and hold, e.g. long term saving due to its anti-inflation nature, and this demand will automatically reduce the supply, indirectly strengthen the value storage ability of bitcoin, a positive feedback

erickimani

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 01:25:22 AM

yes I am holding Bitcoins like an investment for future use because I believe as time goes by, its value increases. I have not only used bitcoin as an investment some years back I used to hold the dollar also as an investment because my local currency was depreciating. As an investor, I see the future and live in the future
mouneshwar123

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 06:04:18 AM

As you said there is no safe way for lending bitcoins, Investing might be a good idea. Keep bitcoins circulating, else it value will go down.

LuckyYOU

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 08:25:15 AM

yes I am holding Bitcoins like an investment for future use because I believe as time goes by, its value increases. I have not only used bitcoin as an investment some years back I used to hold the dollar also as an investment because my local currency was depreciating. As an investor, I see the future and live in the future

So you're saving your bitcoins, just like you're saving your usd.

After you've saved up enough you just spend them again

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 08:38:04 AM

Holding or spending 10 bitcoins have no real difference, they all make 10 bitcoins not available for others (either in your long term storage or in circulation caused by your spending), but holding have significant long term impact to supply (holding 10 bitcoins for 1 year will make the available bitcoin reduce by 10 bitcoins for 1 year, while spending 10 bitcoins would only make it disappear for a while when it is waiting confirmation, unless you spend 10 bitcoins every hour)

This loop:

Why do you hold bitcoin?
- because I hold it

The biggest demand for bitcoin is buy and hold, e.g. long term saving due to its anti-inflation nature, and this demand will automatically reduce the supply, indirectly strengthen the value storage ability of bitcoin, a positive feedback

actually it is(the last sentence) "why you would it become more valuable?"

because someone else will buy it, not because i hold it

the point of holding is letting the more rich people play with the market between them and hoping for a price increase, then waiting for average(noobs) joe get sucked in the wave
CryptoBjorn

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 08:42:10 AM

Well when I have 5 BTC than I am just holdng 3 BTC and 2 BTC for spend like my dollar.

Let say I earn 1000 dollar so I just save 600 dollar and sace 400 dollar.

I am holding bitcoin is because I believe some day (5 years) Bitcoin will rich 1000 USD and when that happends I have enough money.
HolloZollo

Activity: 1

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 09:29:46 AM

I guess you could say I'm saving up bitcoin to make future investment

After making investments I'll be saving up again and do the cycle all over again
Xeelee

Activity: 165
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 09:48:20 AM

I buy and hold Bitcoin because I believe on it on the long term. Also I spend usually some BTC to invest in interesting Altcoin projects. Sometimes with success sometimes not.

NXT-Wallet: NXT-UBDL-3XU4-NQBZ-FT33G
StevenLiang

Activity: 168

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 12:03:01 PM

This loop:

Why do you hold bitcoin?
- because I hold it

Hold or spend bitcoin as you want. That's most important thing in all currencies both in fiat / digital.
I got your point about hold it in cold storage and not using it for whole years will make 10 bitcoin (in example) not available on the market, and maybe it will boost BTC price.

But good traders not just doing buy and hold. When the price low = buy, when the price high = buy.
Maybe this is the method for long term investment only. (Buy to see the BTC price next 5 years later)
mouneshwar123

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 02:52:26 PM

Well when I have 5 BTC than I am just holdng 3 BTC and 2 BTC for spend like my dollar.

I am holding bitcoin is because I believe some day (5 years) Bitcoin will rich 1000 USD and when that happends I have enough money.

This is the true potential of Bitcoin. Not all currencies are a investment thing. But Bitcoin can be used as a currency and as a investment thing.Bitcoin's value increases day by day and is accepted almost everywhere for transactions. I came across a thread where someone stated that he is having drinks from a nearby coffee shop with bitcoins.

richardsNY
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 03:00:52 PM

This is the true potential of Bitcoin. Not all currencies are a investment thing. But Bitcoin can be used as a currency and as a investment thing.Bitcoin's value increases day by day and is accepted almost everywhere for transactions. I came across a thread where someone stated that he is having drinks from a nearby coffee shop with bitcoins.

That's what I like about Bitcoin. It can be used in many ways. It can be used as currency, as store of value, instant payment system, tipping tool and so on. Bitcoin can be of great value for everyone. People must just be open for it.
HostSurf

Activity: 224

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 03:17:32 PM

That's what I like about Bitcoin. It can be used in many ways. It can be used as currency, as store of value, instant payment system, tipping tool and so on. Bitcoin can be of great value for everyone. People must just be open for it.

Yes you're right. It took me awhile to get into it as well. But now that I have, I'm learning more about it everyday.
USB-S

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

In XEM we trust

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 05:17:42 PM

Yes you're right. It took me awhile to get into it as well. But now that I have, I'm learning more about it everyday.
You can have more than you've got, because you can become more than you are. The only way to do that is to learn. Learning is for some reason frowned upon in today's society for some reason. But if they try to bash you, just use your knowledge against them.

However holding bitcoins is most likely the best thing you could do with bitcoins. Most people don't hold for some reason, that's only good for the holding team.

````````````````████████
_`````````██████████████████████
_`````█████████████████████████████
_```█████████████████████████████████
_``████████████████████████████████████
_█████████```````████████```````████████
_███████````████````██`````███````███████
_██████````████████`````████████``███████
_██████````██████````██``██████```███████
_███████```````````████``````````████████
_██████████████████████████████████████
_``████████████████████████████████████
_```_████████████████████████████████
_``````████████████████████████████
_`````````3█████████████████████
play.infinity
        Eжeднeвный ДЖEКПOT
TELEGRAM CHAT   SITE   TELEGRAM
                   Get free eth
umaOuma

Activity: 938

View Profile
November 21, 2015, 02:56:03 PM

Yeah and holding bitcoins at a moment is a profitable thing to do, as we know that the value of bitcoins will increase in the coming years and yes don't wait too long, if you see the price increase in recent time then sell a part of bitcoins and make profit out of and buy again when the price falls down, good way to make profits  Grin
RKing

Activity: 56

View Profile
November 23, 2015, 04:39:34 PM

Holding bitcoin in anticipation of price rise is OK. It is also good to use some bitcoin so as to increase the adoption.
amacar2
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1007

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 01:26:38 PM

If you are earning bitcoin daily it is good both for you and bitcoin economy to use them for your daily use. But if you are not earning daily or not so much to bear your expenses. Better save whatever you get and wait for the golden future of bitcoin. I am the one who try to spend daily whenever i can use bitcoin.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit AirDrop $.|.Get 700 YoDollars for Free!.🏆
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print