Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:57:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Problem Lowering Memory Clock  (Read 2209 times)
Kyle Bball Boy (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 05:01:43 AM

Lately I've been trying to lower the memory clock on one of my cards and every time I try my entire system locks up and I have to restart.

I'm mining with 2 cards, a 5850 Xtreme and a 5830 Xtreme, both from Sapphire. If I just lower the memory clocks to 900Mhz in the CCC everything works smoothly. So, I was looking around on the forums about how to lower the memory clock beyond that. I found a thread advising people to try using MSI Afterburner to get the clock all the way down to 300Mhz. The problem is after I open MSI Afterburner and select the 5850 and try to lower the memory clock below 900Mhz, after about 10 seconds my entire system halts and I have to reboot. Catalyst seems to get a little fussy after this too and I've noticed that when I try to plug in my second monitor my computer will eventually halt again. I fixed that problem by completely removing catalyst and doing a fresh install, but then that leaves me back to square 1. Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

Oh and if it matters I'm using the 11.5 Catalyst drivers on Windows 7 x64.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
innervisi0nn

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

Tutorials, guidelines, optimizations for all!

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 05:36:40 AM

Lately I've been trying to lower the memory clock on one of my cards and every time I try my entire system locks up and I have to restart.

I'm mining with 2 cards, a 5850 Xtreme and a 5830 Xtreme, both from Sapphire. If I just lower the memory clocks to 900Mhz in the CCC everything works smoothly. So, I was looking around on the forums about how to lower the memory clock beyond that. I found a thread advising people to try using MSI Afterburner to get the clock all the way down to 300Mhz. The problem is after I open MSI Afterburner and select the 5850 and try to lower the memory clock below 900Mhz, after about 10 seconds my entire system halts and I have to reboot. Catalyst seems to get a little fussy after this too and I've noticed that when I try to plug in my second monitor my computer will eventually halt again. I fixed that problem by completely removing catalyst and doing a fresh install, but then that leaves me back to square 1. Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

Sorry to hear. I havn't had that problem.  Im running dual HD 5830's with MSI afterburner - no problem.

-Are your cards overclocked?
-Crossfire?
-What is your PSU wattage?
-What temp is your GPU running @?

Kyle Bball Boy (OP)

Activity: 11

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 05:49:28 AM

Sorry to hear. I havn't had that problem.  Im running dual HD 5830's with MSI afterburner - no problem.

-Crossfire?

The 5850 has a very minor overclock of 800Mhz on the GPU clock, but I've done this with the default clocks too and I'm still having the same problem.

I'm not using crossfire, PSU is 650 Watt and it's Corsair if anyone is curious, but wattage isn't an issue here. Lastly, with both cards mining simultaneously and the memory clocks at 900Mhz they are running at 69-70C each.
innervisi0nn

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

Tutorials, guidelines, optimizations for all!

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 05:53:10 AM

-Crossfire?

The 5850 has a very minor overclock of 800Mhz on the GPU clock, but I've done this with the default clocks too and I'm still having the same problem.

I'm not using crossfire, PSU is 650 Watt and it's Corsair if anyone is curious, but wattage isn't an issue here. Lastly, with both cards mining simultaneously and the memory clocks at 900Mhz they are running at 69-70C each.

You confuzzled me. Both cards are running 800 or 900? And this only happens when you bring down the memory clock?

icaci

Activity: 28

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 01:36:42 PM

First, try asking in the "Mining" forum where all the hardware geeks lurk.
Second, is your miner running while you tweak the memory clock rate? My system crashes if I tweak card settings while running Phoenix.
Also did you try with some other tweaking tools? I personally use ATI Tray Tools since they work best with my two Sapphire Vapor-X 5870. I've tried Sapphire Trixx, MSI Afterburner and AMD GPU Clock Tool, but only ATT works the way it is supposed to work.
PcChip

Activity: 418
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 06:11:36 AM

I'm having the same issue.

I just went from a single 5850 to a new dual-PCIE motherboard so I can run my old Reference 5850 and my brand new Sapphire 5830 (same kind you have) together (non crossfire)

When I first had the rig together on the floor and was testing it out, swapping the monitor back and forth between them would let me select which one Phoenix would run on, and select which one was able to be overclocked with MSI Afterburner.  I had both memory clocks down to 300 MHz and it was running fine.

Then I moved it into its final position out in a storage room (due to lots of heat generated), and when I'm connecting via TightVNC and manually moving the monitor between plugs to get it started, I cannot go below 600 MHz on the 5830 or the whole system freezes.  I can still do the normal 300 MHz on the old 5850 Reference.

Strange.  I was about to switch to a non-beta version of Afterburner, or maybe try Trixx software, but if you're having the same problem maybe the software I'm using isn't it.

Let me know if you find an answer, please.

Legacy signature from 2011: 
All rates with Phoenix 1.50 / PhatK
5850 - 400 MH/s  |  5850 - 355 MH/s | 5830 - 310 MH/s  |  GTX570 - 115 MH/s | 5770 - 210 MH/s | 5770 - 200 MH/s
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: