Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 08:53:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How a reviled African ruler survived a coup hatched in the United States  (Read 464 times)
galdur (OP)

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 01:26:07 AM

MINNEAPOLIS — Every other Saturday evening, the coup-plotters excused themselves from their wives and kids to join a conference call. The half-dozen dissidents — all middle-aged men, most with military experience — dialed in from their suburban homes scattered across the South and Midwest.

There were operational details to discuss, logistical hurdles to overcome. How would they smuggle rifles and night-vision goggles to Gambia, the tiny West African country from which they were exiled? Was their $221,000 budget enough to topple the brutal strongman who had ruled Gambia for two decades?

In the predawn hours of
Dec. 30, according to court documents and interviews with people involved in the operation, the U.S.-based conspirators teamed with other dissidents to assault the Gambian presidential palace. They expected to find it lightly guarded. Instead, they ran into an ambush. Four people were killed. Those who survived fled the country. .....more

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/how-a-reviled-african-ruler-survived-a-coup-hatched-in-the-united-states/2015/05/31/a9fc1772-0485-11e5-8bda-c7b4e9a8f7ac_story.html

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 05:03:15 PM

Hmm... I was thinking why there is so much negative coverage about Gambia and its president (Yahya Jammeh) recently in CIA mouthpieces such as the BBC and the CNN. Seems like they are venting out the frustration, resulted from the failed coup. The answer is right there in the article:

Over the years, Jammeh had irritated the U.S. government by cozying up to Iran, Venezuela and Cuba.
panju1
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 12:22:18 AM

What I find surprising is that the coup plotters have been charged under the Neutrality Act of 1794!
Apparently, America has peaceful relations with Gambia. Maybe the US is trying to wean Gambia away from Cuba and Iran.
galdur (OP)

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 01:29:11 AM

There is nothing worth liberating for U.S. corporations in Gambia but of course Uncle Sam, Disneyland and Hollywood will have serious issues with this:

The Associated Press reports:

Gambia’s National Assembly has passed a bill imposing life imprisonment for some homosexual acts, officials said [today, Sept. 8], potentially worsening the climate for sexual minorities in a country with one of Africa’s most vocal anti-gay leaders.

The bill amending the criminal code was passed last month and brings life sentences for “aggravated homosexuality,” minority leader Samba Jallow told The Associated Press.

That is a charge leveled at repeat offenders and people living with HIV/AIDS.

Jallow said that, while his National Reconciliation Party did not condone homosexuality, he voted against the bill along with one other lawmaker.

“In our view, homosexuals did not commit a crime worthy of life imprisonment or any treasonable offense,” he said.

News of the bill has not been spotted on any of the Gambia’s online news sites.

The bill now goes to Gambian President Yahya Jammeh for his approval. Jammeh has often launched verbal attacks on LGBT people, calling homosexuality “satanic,” a threat to population growth, “anti-god, anti-human, and anti-civilization.”

During Gambia’s independence day celebrations this year, Jammeh called homosexuals “vermin” and said his government would fight them as it fights malaria-causing mosquitoes.

Under current Gambian law, homosexual activities are punishable by a 14-year prison term. Despite that law, the Gambia has something of a reputation as a gay tourism destination.

In June, Momodou Sabally, then Gambia’s secretary general and minister for presidential affairs, said that a bill would be submitted to parliament that would seek to “ban all gay rights and homosexuality in the country,” Star Africa reported.

But gay-related news from the Gambia has featured more verbal attacks than actual arrests.

In April 2012, in one of the most recent publicized crackdowns on LGBT people in Gambia came when 20 people were charged with homosexuality-related offenses after a police raid on an alleged “homosexual dance.” After a lengthy detention, all were acquitted in August 2012.

Last month, police arrested 12 men on suspicion of homosexuality in a series of raids, Gambia’s online Kibaaro News reported.

The Associated Press also reported about the bill:

Jammeh, who came to power in a 1994 coup and is famous for speeches condemning Western powers, has not addressed the new bill publicly.

National Assembly Speaker Abdoulie Bojang confirmed the new bill was passed last month but would not provide further details.

A draft seen by The Associated Press contains language identical to a controversial anti-gay bill signed into law in Uganda earlier this year.

In addition to “serial offenders” and people living with HIV/AIDS, both pieces of legislation say examples of “aggravated homosexuality” include when the suspect engages in homosexual acts with someone who is under 18, disabled or has been drugged. The term also applies when the suspect is the parent or guardian of the other person or is “in authority over” him or her.

It was not immediately clear whether there were changes to the draft prior to the National Assembly vote.

- See more at: http://www.sdgln.com/news/2014/09/09/gambia-plans-life-sentences-gay-repeat-offenders#sthash.XSwgzgi9.dpuf

Chef Ramsay
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 02:38:24 AM

I don't see what the problem is here when the time tested method of shelling out foreign aid to get the target to do your bidding tends to work. It worked in Egypt and Libya for decades and this outfit pales in comparison to the aforementioned countries. In fact, I've never heard of Gambia until now.
galdur (OP)

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 03:40:39 AM

I don't see what the problem is here when the time tested method of shelling out foreign aid to get the target to do your bidding tends to work. It worked in Egypt and Libya for decades and this outfit pales in comparison to the aforementioned countries. In fact, I've never heard of Gambia until now.

Well, I had hardly heard of it myself until I met an English guy a few years back that told me some tales of when he spent some time there as a bum on the beach basically. Apparently it´s a pretty nice place, benign climate and people and plenty of cheap food and drink. But eventually he was picked up during a bum razzia and shipped back home along with some fellow western bums.

Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 09:09:32 AM

They have oil and gas... so, they are doomed. Soon the US going to export some democracy there in 250 and 500 lbs portions, I guess.
galdur (OP)

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 09:23:05 AM

They have oil and gas... so, they are doomed. Soon the US going to export some democracy there in 250 and 500 lbs portions, I guess.

Nah, they can´t have much of that or Uncle Sam would have put people with a long and solid record of "incompetence" (the constant excuse for the retarded masses when everything turns to shit that these psychopaths meddle with) into ruining the country long ago.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: