Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:10:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can not make bitcoin folder writable?  (Read 483 times)
coinableS (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1179

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2015, 01:59:27 AM

Maybe it's because I'm an idiot who still runs windows, but all of a sudden my bitcoin folderc(/Program Files/Bitcoin) is read only. I'll change the permissions and it will immediately revert back to read-only. I read on bitcoin.stackexchange that it could be my anti-virus.  I unistalled it completely and restarted and still the same issue. I unistalled core and re-installed still same issue.
I'm on windows 8, anyone else with this issue or found a way to resolve?

In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3042

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 02:17:04 AM

It's not your anti-virus, it's your operating system. Program Files is supposed to be read-only for normal users, as there's no legitimate reason to write to it except to install or uninstall programs (which you need to be admin to do anyway). Don't try to put your data directory there; it won't work and isn't supposed to.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
coinableS (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1179

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2015, 02:31:58 AM

It's not your anti-virus, it's your operating system. Program Files is supposed to be read-only for normal users, as there's no legitimate reason to write to it except to install or uninstall programs (which you need to be admin to do anyway). Don't try to put your data directory there; it won't work and isn't supposed to.

Ahh I am an idiot!!  Cheesy Cheesy
Not sure why I was going to program files when I should have been in appdata.  Thanks!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: