Bitcoin Forum
June 30, 2024, 02:01:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Local person Scammed and used my ATM :(  (Read 1970 times)
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2015, 12:28:20 PM

(bolded by me)
If you really want to prevent this in the future, perhaps you can add a confirmation screen to your transaction process that asks the user to confirm that they are not doing the transaction on behalf of a third party, and if they say they are, display a detailed warning of this method of criminal activity so they understand the risks before continuing.
That's a really good idea. Two thumbs up!
Not only to prevent fraud but also to avoid potential trouble that comes with money laundering laws.

It IS a good idea. Though i think OP wont be able to change anything in the software. Though he might be able to push the provider of the ATM to bring out an update of the firmware/OS so that he can update his ATM.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2015, 01:04:17 PM

You still have funds right? If so you didn't get scammed. The lady is mentally ill, tell her to fuck off.

$2000 isn't that big of a deal, probably not money laundering at all. She is just trying to scam you so take decisive action with the bank you use to prevent any problems.

If you saw her in person sending it she does not have a case. You have gullible written all over you if you give her a dollar back and believe any of the story.

Even if she's telling the truth somewhat and she got scammed, it's the same as wiring money. Western Union nor the banks repay people dumb enough to get scammed.

P.S. It is hilarious that this scammer called the police on themselves. Turn it around on her and get her arrested. You might not even have to do anything, why the f was she sending thousands of dollars to Morocco the police will ask.

Even though youre right about that she could be a scamer herself... im negatively impressed about the mindset you show here. Did you have a similar thing happen to you or where does this insensitivity come from?

Besides that... i dont think OP is at risk. The woman chose the way of transaction. OP is not obliged to pay anything back i believe. It was her free will to send it.

If he has the obligation to refund her then i would like to know on what basis.

grouper fish

Activity: 199
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 18, 2015, 10:39:36 AM

that story was crazy. I think it would be quite easy to fall for something like this. Especially if you just got hired by a company after a time of unemployment or something like that. Going that extra mile to finally get/or maybe keep a job.  Sad

TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2015, 08:43:03 PM

(bolded by me)
If you really want to prevent this in the future, perhaps you can add a confirmation screen to your transaction process that asks the user to confirm that they are not doing the transaction on behalf of a third party, and if they say they are, display a detailed warning of this method of criminal activity so they understand the risks before continuing.
Not only to prevent fraud but also to avoid potential trouble that comes with money laundering laws.

It IS a good idea. Though i think OP wont be able to change anything in the software. Though he might be able to push the provider of the ATM to bring out an update of the firmware/OS so that he can update his ATM.

Does the BTM manufacturer have a thread here where I might suggest this?
SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2015, 08:47:26 PM

(bolded by me)

Does the BTM manufacturer have a thread here where I might suggest this?

I dont know. I only remember of occassional groupbuys for ATMs but not of companies presenting their ATMs here. I guess OP should know more and can contact the producer of his ATM as well as other producers. Guess thats something he might do since the topic is clearly worrying him.

elusive1

Activity: 315
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 18, 2015, 09:08:37 PM

The lady is not in on the scam, she is Canadian after all.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: