Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:34:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A Letter to Matthew  (Read 8068 times)
evoorhees (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 09:25:31 PM

Matthew -

What you have done, there is no excuse for. You tricked honest people, you lied and deceived them.

Over the past months (year?), I've had a number of discussions with you, and increasingly felt (and stated publicly) that you were a valuable member of this community. When others criticized you, I stood up for you. Actually, I was very proud that you were involved in all this, and I enjoyed our conversations sincerely.

This bet that you did - I figured there would be some trick. Perhaps you knew Pirate would pay? Perhaps you had tons of Bitcoins and were going to pay out what you promised as an ultimate gesture of goodwill? Perhaps the Pirate story hadn't ended and it would've been great fun to scare everyone for a few weeks, only to pay up at the last minute? Maybe you had something creative in mind? I wasn't sure what the trick was, but I knew you wouldn't outright lie, cheat and steal.

Yet, that's what you did. You simply lied and reneged.

You probably think you've taught the community a "lesson." And indeed, you did. The lesson is that Matthew N. Wright is a fraud. Wow, quite an amazing and valuable lesson you've taught us. Such utility we have gained from your prescience and tutelage.  

I'm deeply disappointed in this - I don't think I've ever put my trust and support behind someone who broke it so absurdly and carelessly. Feel free to reply with some snide comment, or perhaps you won't reply at all. Doesn't really matter. You've criticized and made fun of so many people in these forums - yet almost none of them deserve the scorn that you now deserve. Even the "scammer" label is too good for you - you didn't set up any interesting scam. You just lied and broke your promise. Not an ounce of creativity nor wit... just awful human behavior.

You are an immoral, illegitimate person, Matthew, and I hope you extricate yourself from what we're trying to build.  I'm embarrassed to have ever defended or supported you.

Ashamed and betrayed,
-Erik

PS - for the record, I didn't have any stake in either Pirate nor this Matthew bet.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitcoiners

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 09:31:53 PM

Matthew -

What you have done, there is no excuse for. You tricked honest people, you lied and deceived them.

Over the past months (year?), I've had a number of discussions with you, and increasingly felt (and stated publicly) that you were a valuable member of this community. When others criticized you, I stood up for you. Actually, I was very proud that you were involved in all this, and I enjoyed our conversations sincerely.

This bet that you did - I figured there would be some trick. Perhaps you knew Pirate would pay? Perhaps you had tons of Bitcoins and were going to pay out what you promised as an ultimate gesture of goodwill? Perhaps the Pirate story hadn't ended and it would've been great fun to scare everyone for a few weeks, only to pay up at the last minute? Maybe you had something creative in mind? I wasn't sure what the trick was, but I knew you wouldn't outright lie, cheat and steal.

You probably think you've taught the community a "lesson." And indeed, you did. The lesson is that Matthew N. Wright is a fraud. Wow, quite an amazing an valuable lesson you've taught us. Such utility we have gained from your prescience and tutelage.  

I'm deeply disappointed in this - I don't think I've ever put my trust and support behind someone who broke it so absurdly and carelessly. Feel free to reply with some snide comment, or perhaps you won't reply at all. Doesn't really matter. You've criticized and made fun of so many people in these forums - yet almost none of them deserve the scorn that you now deserve. Even the "scammer" label is too good for you - you didn't set up any interesting scam. You just lied and broke your promise. Not an ounce of creativity nor wit... just awful human behavior.

You are an immoral, illegitimate person, Matthew, and I hope you extricate yourself from what we're trying to build.  I'm embarrassed to have ever defended or supported you.

Ashamed and betrayed,
-Erik

PS - for the record, I didn't have any stake in either Pirate nor this Matthew bet.

Thank you for this.
FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 09:33:57 PM

Thanks for letting us know how you feel Erik.

Matthew made a mistake he will not be able to fix. It looks like some type of "deal" or "agreement" went wrong, and now Mr. Matthew is sitting here with the egg in his face.

All so totally predictable..
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 09:38:00 PM

tl;dr version

I am gullible and matt trolled the hell out of me.  I has angries and a sad.  Bluh bluh boohoo  Cry  Angry

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 09:42:23 PM

Matthew,

I have watched you growing up since you were just a little shit playing radio show host with Atlas. You are like most arrogant youth causing vandalism and calling it art, making prank phone calls and wasting taxpayer money, and other idiotic stuff, but you are growing up. At least this prank did not hurt anyone, but it made them look foolish. Now they are angry with you and I don't think this was your intent. It was foolish to make this bet because the people that did not get your joke now think (fallaciously) that you were in on Pirateat40's scam. They have no evidence to believe you are except for believing in you as a credible character reference. Now I'm sticking my neck out for you Matthew, but only if you deliver a sincere apology for the bet prank.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
ingrownpocket
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 09:44:54 PM

Matthew,

I have watched you growing up since you were just a little shit playing radio show host with Atlas. You are like most arrogant youth causing vandalism and calling it art, making prank phone calls and wasting taxpayer money, and other idiotic stuff, but you are growing up. At least this prank did not hurt anyone, but it made them look foolish. Now they are angry with you and I don't think this was your intent. It was foolish to make this bet because the people that did not get your joke now think (fallaciously) that you were in on Pirateat40's scam. They have no evidence to believe you are except for believing in you as a credible character reference. Now I'm sticking my neck out for you Matthew, but only if you deliver a sincere apology for the bet prank.

That escalated quickly.
finkleshnorts

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 09:47:12 PM

Matthew,
At least this prank did not hurt anyone, but it made them look foolish.

Assuming "them" refers to the bettors, I disagree.

How are they/we made to look foolish?
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 09:48:41 PM

Really,

Another thread.

You guys really are Matthew's fools.

evoorhees (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 10:35:29 PM

Really,

Another thread.

If you're trying to argue that Matthew should've never been trusted in the first place, then obviously you're correct.

However, it's somewhat disturbing that people are criticizing those who did trust him. It would be like me going up to a friend of mine, who I'd built a relationship with, and punching him in the face, and then saying, "LOL you idiot you shouldn't have trusted me!"

Again, I wasn't involved in this bet in any way. It's simply a case of being severely let down by someone I had admired and defended.
bittenbob

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 10:38:10 PM

I too figured he had some trick up his sleeve but did not think he would go this route. The magazine clearly came out against Matthew's creation of this bet and forced him to remove any mention of the magazine within the vicinity of his bet. This is the worst case scenario of what we saw as the possible outcomes. This was not clever at all, just reckless and immoral. Do you see any accolades for your actions? You have forever damaged what was left of your reputation.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 10:41:02 PM

Did no one view his youtube channel.  How could anyone give that guy credibility.

Scott J
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 10:42:57 PM

Did no one view his youtube channel.  How could anyone give that guy credibility.
Link please.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 10:44:12 PM

http://www.youtube.com/user/matthewnealwright?feature=watch

And doesn't he have a trail littered with failed bitcoin venutres.

I'm just saying.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 10:49:00 PM

Really,

Another thread.

If you're trying to argue that Matthew should've never been trusted in the first place, then obviously you're correct.

However, it's somewhat disturbing that people are criticizing those who did trust him. It would be like me going up to a friend of mine, who I'd built a relationship with, and punching him in the face, and then saying, "LOL you idiot you shouldn't have trusted me!"

Again, I wasn't involved in this bet in any way. It's simply a case of being severely let down by someone I had admired and defended.
That's not the point at all. You should not trust *anyone* especially the one that say "trust me, I would never lie to you." I think he made that point without anyone getting butthurt.

Here's a hypothetical example:
I have a good relationship with my bookie. One day I decide to move and change my name. I make a phone call.
"Hey Rufus, got any action on the Cowboys?"
"Hey cbeast, yeah I do."
"My name isn't cbeast anymore, and I moved out of the country, we're still good, right?"
<click>

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 11:20:12 PM

Really,

Another thread.

I think he's saying that all matthew wants is all the threads to be about him instead of pirate and everyone is helping.

Mostly I agree, but this thread was fine imo, good OP.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 11:31:11 PM

Thanks for letting us know how you feel Erik.

Matthew made a mistake he will not be able to fix. It looks like some type of "deal" or "agreement" went wrong, and now Mr. Matthew is sitting here with the egg in his face.

All so totally predictable..

What's funny is that Matthew is trying to make it appear that he is amused by the community's response to his fraudulent actions when indeed we have not lost anything.

Matthew you have lost much much more that any of us have and that is respect, integrity, and trust.

The joke is on you.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 11:33:56 PM

Matthew,

No you have it all backwards. The joke is on Matthew.

No one has lost anything with him except for trust and respect.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 11:38:55 PM

I lost respect for Matthew long ago, about the time he went into business with Jonathan Ryan Owens and it turned out he was working with bitscalper after accusing almost everyone of being bitscalper  Roll Eyes
If you lie down with dogs you get fleas.

teflone

Activity: 770

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 11:55:14 PM

I lost respect for Matthew long ago, about the time he went into business with Jonathan Ryan Owens and it turned out he was working with bitscalper after accusing almost everyone of being bitscalper  Roll Eyes
If you lie down with dogs you get fleas.

Bingo....

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
teflone

Activity: 770

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 11:55:41 PM

Matthew -

You probably think you've taught the community a "lesson." And indeed, you did. The lesson is that Matthew N. Wright is a fraud. Wow, quite an amazing and valuable lesson you've taught us. Such utility we have gained from your prescience and tutelage.  

Ashamed and betrayed,
-Erik

Very well put Erik..

Thank you for this..

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: