Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 07:25:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A Letter to Matthew  (Read 8068 times)
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 11:56:17 PM

I lost respect for Matthew long ago, about the time he went into business with Jonathan Ryan Owens and it turned out he was working with bitscalper after accusing almost everyone of being bitscalper  Roll Eyes
If you lie down with dogs you get fleas.

Bingo....

BITFLEAS!

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

teflone

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 11:56:49 PM

I lost respect for Matthew long ago, about the time he went into business with Jonathan Ryan Owens and it turned out he was working with bitscalper after accusing almost everyone of being bitscalper  Roll Eyes
If you lie down with dogs you get fleas.

Bingo....

BITFLEAS!

Bitrodent

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 11:57:34 PM

That's a new tag.  Bitrodent.
teflone

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 12:00:06 AM

That's a new tag.  Bitrodent.

Royalties..  that just cost you .05 bitcents..  - MNW.

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 12:21:41 AM

One of the problems with this is that it fails to address why some skype phone calls can you make you so enamored with someone not worth your trust.  I know of a lot of people who "liked" Matthew (and Zhou even) based on Skype calls and the credibility of those people is gone.

1. Bruce Fagner
2. Zhou Thong
3. Pirateat40thand5thHookingLikeABoss
4. Matthuge EnWRONG

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 01:34:28 AM

This bet that you did - I figured there would be some trick. Perhaps you knew Pirate would pay? Perhaps you had tons of Bitcoins and were going to pay out what you promised as an ultimate gesture of goodwill? Perhaps the Pirate story hadn't ended and it would've been great fun to scare everyone for a few weeks, only to pay up at the last minute? Maybe you had something creative in mind? I wasn't sure what the trick was, but I knew you wouldn't outright lie, cheat and steal.

I'm not willing to share my PMs with Matthew, but I'll confirm that as late as last week he fully expected pirate to pay (I don't know why and didn't ask).  This fits with his original post about the community being too quick to label people as scammers (which is what started the bet).

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 01:50:55 AM

I'm not willing to share my PMs with Matthew, but I'll confirm that as late as last week he fully expected pirate to pay (I don't know why and didn't ask).  This fits with his original post about the community being too quick to label people as scammers (which is what started the bet).

I'm sure he did, but the fact that he wasn't able to follow through on his side of the bet proves that it was just a simple theft. Think of it this way please: IF PIRATE HAD PAID, THEN MNW WOULD HAVE STOLEN NEARLY A MILLION DOLLARS FROM THE COMMUNITY. When you see it that way, you'll realize just how bad his scam really was. He was gambling his entire reputation on the chance of getting a quick million, and he lost.

Do you honestly believe that Matthew would have taken people's money if he'd won the bet?  If so, you know a different Matthew than I do. 

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2012, 01:54:04 AM

I'm sure he did, but the fact that he wasn't able to follow through on his side of the bet proves that it was just a simple theft. Think of it this way please: IF PIRATE HAD PAID, THEN MNW WOULD HAVE STOLEN NEARLY A MILLION DOLLARS FROM THE COMMUNITY. When you see it that way, you'll realize just how bad his scam really was. He was gambling his entire reputation on the chance of getting a quick million, and he lost.

Do you honestly believe that Matthew would have taken people's money if he'd won the bet?  If so, you know a different Matthew than I do.  

do you really think Matthew would scam everyone?

no one really knows Matthew. never mind what he may or may not do in some hypothetical scenario

deal with it.

thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 02:00:59 AM

Do you honestly believe that Matthew would have taken people's money if he'd won the bet?  If so, you know a different Matthew than I do. 

100k USD is a LOT of money.  If he really meant to do this he would have registered his intention to not take people's money (say a PGP signed message) privately with a few other trusted individuals, pre-bet.  But I STILL would not have let him off the hook.  I would believe his intentions were not to scam but still hold him to paying the $.  Why?  If I make a contract with person A but secretly place a note with person B stating that my contract is void, does that make it void?  No.

bitcoiners

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 02:13:23 AM

We are talking about the same guy that just tried to defraud this community out of 80k BTC?  That guy?  Yes, he would have taken the money and ran.  Just like all scammers.

I'll retract what I've said if he pays.  But I don't see payment happening.  Ever.
blablahblah

Activity: 775

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 03:20:43 AM

<rant>
The Bitcointalk 'community' has a gambling problem. It's usually not my style, but maybe the poor victims need to learn a lesson? The previous entire month was dominated by discussions about pirate this, pirate that, and the latest ways to make easy money. Angry

If anything, MNW has done everyone a massive favour by "throwing a spanner in the works" and bringing attention to the fact that if you're here to gamble, you should go to effing rehab instead of meddling with Bitcoin. It's the idiots who keep getting robbed that give Bitcoin a bad name, not individuals like MNW. Now I don't even know the guy, but I feel compelled to stand for him because:
1) as I understand it, he didn't actually take anyone's money.
2) he seems to run a business, and I generally have far more respect for entrepreneurial types than gamblers,
3) he's clever enough to teach people in practical ways, including trolling, whereas most other people (including myself) just rant when we're right.
4)If the Bitcoin experiment is to thrive, it requires MORE entrepreneurs, and LESS idiot gamblers. Angry
</rant>
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2012, 04:39:46 AM

<rant>
The Bitcointalk 'community' has a gambling problem. It's usually not my style, but maybe the poor victims need to learn a lesson? The previous entire month was dominated by discussions about pirate this, pirate that, and the latest ways to make easy money. Angry

If anything, MNW has done everyone a massive favour by "throwing a spanner in the works" and bringing attention to the fact that if you're here to gamble, you should go to effing rehab instead of meddling with Bitcoin. It's the idiots who keep getting robbed that give Bitcoin a bad name, not individuals like MNW. Now I don't even know the guy, but I feel compelled to stand for him because:
1) as I understand it, he didn't actually take anyone's money.
2) he seems to run a business, and I generally have far more respect for entrepreneurial types than gamblers,
3) he's clever enough to teach people in practical ways, including trolling, whereas most other people (including myself) just rant when we're right.
4)If the Bitcoin experiment is to thrive, it requires MORE entrepreneurs, and LESS idiot gamblers. Angry
</rant>

People betting against Matthew weren't "gambling." I placed a bet, and I never gamble. They were, as Matthew said, "putting their money where their mouth is" about their belief that pirateat40 and other HYIP's were likely ponzis and scams. Considering what was happening with BTCS&T at the time, the "gambling" here was about as much "gambling" as betting that you can punch a baby in the face an steal it's candy. There were no risks involved, and most of the bets were statements that BTCS&T was nothing but a scam.
It's too bad that Matthew decided to take the other side of that bet.
It was only much later that trolls, who saw a very obvious one-sided bet (pirateat40 had already defaulted), swarmed in and started betting like crazy. Even then, when your odds are 100% to 0% that you will win the bet, that's not exactly gambling any more.
bitcoinBull
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

rippleFanatic

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 06:08:10 AM

Yes. He even started a thread on how he planned to buy everyone a copy of the magazine with part of the winnings. The fact that he chose not to use/require escrow was a sign that he planned to reneg all along, but was hoping not to have to.

College of Bucking Bulls Knowledge
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 06:08:38 AM

C'mon, folks, this is really pathetic.  Just look at all the MNW videos, interviews, and posts. You did look at these before deciding to do business or anything else with him, right?  What were you expecting?  I find it preposterous that any one of you here would claim how you trusted him and supported him, but now he really let you down so you are scolding him.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 06:16:15 AM

I am in the same boat as you Erik... very disappointing.
the_thing

Activity: 546
Merit: 252

Proof-of-Stake Blockchain Network

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 09:10:35 AM

Jesus Christ...
The bitcoin community is gullible as fuck. Therefore, it attracts scammers.
That's how simple it is. No pathetic posts about feeling betrayed, no multiple threads about the same topic (being butthurt about getting scammed), no tears and drama is needed.

The only thing you all need, is to learn how to use your brains. Do not trust anyone, especially not just because you had sweet chit-chat over Skype and PM's. Your parents obviously failed to raise you, because even kindergarten kids know they're not supposed to trust strangers.

,gaaaaaaaagaaaaaaaaaaaaagaaaaaaaag,
           ,aP8b    _,dYba,       ,adPb,_    d8Ya,
         ,aP"  Yb_,dP"   "Yba, ,adP"   "Yb,_dP  "Ya,
       ,aP"    _88"         )888(         "88_    "Ya,
     ,aP"   _,dP"Yb      ,adP"8"Yba,      dP"Yb,_   "Ya,
   ,aPYb _,dP8    Yb  ,adP"   8   "Yba,  dP    8Yb,_ dPYa,
 ,aP"  YdP" dP     YbdP"      8      "YbdP     Yb "YbP  "Ya,
I8aaaaaa8aaa8baaaaaa88aaaaaaaa8aaaaaaaa88aaaaaad8aaa8aaaaaa8I
`Yb,   d8a, Ya      d8b,      8      ,d8b      aP ,a8b   ,dP'
  "Yb,dP "Ya "8,   dI "Yb,    8    ,dP" Ib   ,8" aP" Yb,dP"
    "Y8,   "YaI8, ,8'   "Yb,  8  ,dP"   `8, ,8IaP"   ,8P"
      "Yb,   `"Y8ad'      "Yb,8,dP"      `ba8P"'   ,dP"
        "Yb,    `"8,        "Y8P"        ,8"'    ,dP"
          "Yb,    `8,         8         ,8'    ,dP"
            "Yb,   `Ya        8        aP'   ,dP"
              "Yb,   "8,      8      ,8"   ,dP"
                "Yb,  `8,     8     ,8'  ,dP"   
                  "Yb, `Ya    8    aP' ,dP"     
                    "Yb, "8,  8  ,8" ,dP"
                      "Yb,`8, 8 ,8',dP"
                        "Yb,Ya8aP,dP"
                          "Y88888P"
                            "Y8P"
                              "       

Free TON

PEER-TO-PEER MULTY-BLOCKCHAIN SYSTEM
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬.
▬▬▬TON SURF - OFFICIAL WALLET.

▄███████████████████▄
        █████████████████████
▄█████  █████████████████████
██████  ████             ████
███     █████████████████████
██████  ████             ████
██████  █████████████████████
███     █████████████████████
███████ ▀███████████████████▀
▀███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄       ▀████
  ████▌                 ██ 
  ▐██▌                     
   █▌

TELEGRAM
FORUM
WIKI
flower1024
Legendary

Activity: 1428

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 09:13:36 AM

Jesus Christ...
That's how simple it is. No pathetic posts about feeling betrayed, no multiple threads about the same topic (being butthurt about getting scammed), no tears and drama is needed.

The only thing you all need, is to learn how to use your brains. Do not trust anyone, especially not just because you had sweet chit-chat over Skype and PM's. Your parents obviously failed to raise you, because even kindergarten kids know they're not supposed to trust strangers.

i dont know where you come from but i am proud to be raised in a way to first assume other people are honest.

i should not think this about random internet people though; lessen learned.
blablahblah

Activity: 775

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 09:24:57 AM

People betting against Matthew weren't "gambling." I placed a bet, and I never gamble.
Roll Eyes
Placing bets isn't gambling?
You gambled that MNW would be a n00b and be forced to pay out on such a sure-fire thing, and you totally lost that bet.

...At least you didn't lose any money though, right?
Gyrsur
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1520

Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2012, 09:28:04 AM

so true!

the_thing

Activity: 546
Merit: 252

Proof-of-Stake Blockchain Network

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 09:31:49 AM

Jesus Christ...

i dont know where you come from but i am proud to be raised in a way to first assume other people are honest.

i should not think this about random internet people though; lessen learned.
I come from eastern Europe. I consider everyone a dishonest and dangerous person, until proven otherwise. If it wasn't for this mindset, I probably wouldn't be alive to write this post.
It's ok if you're proud of being naive. But bear in mind that Bitcoin (and the Internet in general) more resembles eastern Europe than the USA (or whatever liberal, over-protective country you come from).

,gaaaaaaaagaaaaaaaaaaaaagaaaaaaaag,
           ,aP8b    _,dYba,       ,adPb,_    d8Ya,
         ,aP"  Yb_,dP"   "Yba, ,adP"   "Yb,_dP  "Ya,
       ,aP"    _88"         )888(         "88_    "Ya,
     ,aP"   _,dP"Yb      ,adP"8"Yba,      dP"Yb,_   "Ya,
   ,aPYb _,dP8    Yb  ,adP"   8   "Yba,  dP    8Yb,_ dPYa,
 ,aP"  YdP" dP     YbdP"      8      "YbdP     Yb "YbP  "Ya,
I8aaaaaa8aaa8baaaaaa88aaaaaaaa8aaaaaaaa88aaaaaad8aaa8aaaaaa8I
`Yb,   d8a, Ya      d8b,      8      ,d8b      aP ,a8b   ,dP'
  "Yb,dP "Ya "8,   dI "Yb,    8    ,dP" Ib   ,8" aP" Yb,dP"
    "Y8,   "YaI8, ,8'   "Yb,  8  ,dP"   `8, ,8IaP"   ,8P"
      "Yb,   `"Y8ad'      "Yb,8,dP"      `ba8P"'   ,dP"