Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 08:40:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to uninstall Windows Update KB3035583 – The Windows 10 downloder  (Read 1444 times)
TheIrishman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1049
Merit: 1006

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 07:21:13 AM
Last edit: June 03, 2015, 09:36:22 AM by TheIrishman

How to uninstall Windows Update KB3035583 – The Windows 10 AKA Squares 10 downloader

Microsoft is trying everything they can to shove down our throats their new abomination called Windows 10 AKA Squares 10. Their latest attempt was to include a downloader for the wretched thing among the recommended updates for Windows 7 and for their previous abomination, Squares 8.1. That company is so dirty that the description for the update (KB3035583) is "enables additional capabilities for Windows Update notifications when new updates are available to the user", which will lead even people who have the common sense NOT TO allow updates to be automatically downloaded and installed to get it.

If you happened to install the sneaky downloader you'll notice a new icon with the Squares 10 logo on the system tray (the area on the lower right corner of the screen where the clock is). Also, if you open the Windows Task Manager (CTRL+SHIFT+ALT), you'll see the downloader's GWX.EXE process running under the Processes tab. Follow the instructions from the article below to get rid of it:

http://www.myce.com/news/how-to-uninstall-kb3035583-the-windows-10-downloader-for-windows-7-and-8-1-75681/

TheIrishman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 07:21:34 AM

Microsoft uses Windows Update to force Windows 10 ads onto older PCs

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/04/09/microsofts_mystery_update_will_push_windows_10_onto_window_7_8_machines/

<< "Recommended update" turns Windows 7, 8 into new OS plug. >>
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2015, 07:43:06 AM

Is this the small icon that was showing up on people's screens recently related to Windows 10? 
http://gizmodo.com/why-yes-that-creepy-icon-is-your-free-copy-of-window-1708121347

I've seen a lot of people complain already. However my Windows 7 installation is so custom that it won't affect me (I'm certain). It's good that you've posted a guide on removing it here as well, as people might come looking. However, it is unfortunate that we do not have a dedicated section for technical discussions, aside of the Bitcoin client. Luckily a lot of people (at least where I live) have Windows Updates turned on (by me or someone else) when they get their new computer/old one repaired.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
teddy5145

Activity: 714
Merit: 528

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 08:15:36 AM

Im still using windows 8, not 8.1  Tongue
so i don't think this issue will affect me at all, but i'll keep an eye out for anything suspicious Cheesy
ragi

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 08:38:02 AM

so i don't think this issue will affect me at all, but i'll keep an eye out for anything suspicious Cheesy
How do you like the 8? I personally cannot give up on 7 yet. And 10 looks like...

no.
teddy5145

Activity: 714
Merit: 528

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 09:54:21 AM

How do you like the 8? I personally cannot give up on 7 yet. And 10 looks like...
Its good for me but quite buggy but idon't mind that at all.Hell the booting was really fast dude Cheesy
DarkHyudrA
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

English <-> Portuguese translations

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 02:27:05 PM

Good that I choose very strictely what I want to update. (and my version is a professional edition, so even if (Flattened)Windows 10 is good, I don't have to download all the shit they throw on the updater).

English <-> Brazilian Portuguese translations
TheIrishman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 09:28:41 PM

Good that I choose very strictely what I want to update. (and my version is a professional edition, so even if (Flattened)Windows 10 is good, I don't have to download all the shit they throw on the updater).

Actually, you might have to:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1078969.0
Borisz

Activity: 476
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 09:32:44 PM

Sorry if I missed it, why is Windows 10 so bad again?
xmaxbit

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 04, 2015, 05:55:17 AM

I agree with you 100 % . I have still windows 7 and I am happy NOT to update current version . So this shit is not going to affect me at all.
rebbeca7

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 04, 2015, 10:28:12 AM

Win10.....:  Roll Eyes

medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2015, 10:49:00 AM

Is this the downloader where existing windows 7 and windows 8 users can get windodws 10 for free?
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/06/01/windows_10_release_july_29_free_upgrades/

For windows 7 users, it is best to stick with windows 7 because of the familiar interface. Windows 8 users might want to get Windows 10 a try. I think you get the start menu back.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2015, 10:51:32 AM

Is this the downloader where existing windows 7 and windows 8 users can get windodws 10 for free?
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/06/01/windows_10_release_july_29_free_upgrades/

For windows 7 users, it is best to stick with windows 7 because of the familiar interface. Windows 8 users might want to get Windows 10 a try. I think you get the start menu back.
This is a persistent notification that sticks on your desktop. The update was labeled as recommended but it should have been optional.
This is just part of Microsoft's plan, however I think that you can get the update using it when it gets released.

I just logged onto my laptop to find that it had appeared there as well.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
TheIrishman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 05, 2015, 06:13:41 AM
Last edit: June 05, 2015, 06:31:13 AM by TheIrishman

I think you get the start menu back.

You don't get THE start menu back, you get A start menu - one that is pretty much useless due to its lack of customization. On XP 64 (and even on 7), I can keep my menu structure well organized, with submenus like Audio, Net, Games, Text, Utils, Video, etc., where I place the shortcuts for programs of each type. On Squares 10, there's no way to create folders on the start menu. That will probably be possible with some third-party add-on, but I really don't think I should need a third-party add-on to be able to customize such a basic aspect of the UI. These types of add-ons are also very prone to mess up other elements of the OS, like I had the opportunity to experience on Win 7 in the past. And that's just one example. Actually, Microsoft seem to be completely lost as to what they want the start menu to be like, because every update of the technical preview changes it radically.

I won't even get started on the amount of customization features Microsoft has been removing from the OS since the 8th Abomination came out, simply because they are determined to make desktops look and work like smartphones, and for that, the shortest route is to eliminate as much UI customization as possible. This article published a few days ago on The Register demonstrated in a very clever way that the whole "insider program" was a big farce and not representative of the actual public that will actually use the OS, because it was mostly MS fanboys who signed up for the "program", and the OS is being designed based on feedback by this extremely limited sample of users. One example from the article that gives me the creeps: "In Windows 10, Microsoft says it will hide running apps from the task bar, breaking a twenty-year-old convention which started with Windows 95 – potentially causing confusion for hundreds of millions of regular users. It's doing so because fanbois who signed up for Microsoft's public Windows preview programme say they marginally preferred the change."

Like LaudaM said on the thread about updates being forced on users, DirectX 12 will be the main reason to make people use Squares 10. If Microsoft weren't so desperate to gain more share on the mobile phone market, we could have had a new Windows which would be a perfected version of 7, with DirectX 12 and the other core improvements implemented on 8/8.1/10, only with a decent UI. As it is, any Windows user with an intelligence level above that of an ape will stick with 7 or earlier versions of Windows, and use Squares 10 for gaming only.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: