Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 10:37:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Has any other creative work given you the same feeling as the Bitcoin project?  (Read 591 times)
Insert_Bitcoin (OP)

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 05, 2015, 01:08:22 PM

You know that feeling you get when you're reading something that's truly mind-blowingly brilliant and unexpectedly creative? Like when you first read the description of how the blockchain solves the byzantine general problem?

My question is have you ever had that same feeling from reading another work where you were truly excited about its implications? And to a more general extent: is there anything out there like Bitcoin that's similarly novel and brilliant?

(Computer science has had a lot of innovation but I can't even think of anything in the rest of computer science that gave me the same reaction as Bitcoin. Maybe some of that cool !@#$ with functional encryption but its a little hard to get excited about theoretical computer science.)
neoneros

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

I can draw your avatar!

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2015, 01:20:12 PM

The title is a bit broader than the question you post. There are many meta books about art that have openend my eyes in my creative thinking. The first time would be a simple analysis about the StarWars movies, the simple depiction of black and white being the good and evil that struggle and the ying and jang that keep balance to 'the force'. Beforehand I just thought of it as a cool space story and never given a thought about the deeper meanings of the choices made, though good is white, evil is black is not a really deeper meaning, but deeper than I have thought of it beforehand.

I love the way filmmakers work and look at movies in a total different way than my wife, who just watches it for the story itself, not for how it is told. It is hard to find movies we both like sometimes Smiley

For technology and to answer your question, I have never read work that has made me think different, it is mostly watching documentaries, hearing the people speak out their ideas, there are a lot of things that tingle my interest. The whole coming of the internet and hopping on its bandwagon and still riding it has done me well, bitcoin has the same feel. Though I am less involved in developing for bitcoin like I am for the internet.

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2015, 01:46:19 PM

This.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R8HG40yv20

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
jeannemadrigal2

Activity: 322

View Profile
June 05, 2015, 02:45:43 PM

Yes, I had this feeling the first time I read the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy.  There is so much mind blowing and important information in there.  If you didn't read it yet then go check it out, you will thank me later.
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 05, 2015, 02:52:04 PM

No, we are seeing a FIRST in human history...

Most do not understand this even bitcoiners. 

The ability to have 100% control over your wealth and move it to anywhere on the planet with out capital controls stopping you, goves stealing it, criminals stealing it has NEVER been possible before Bitcoin.  Gold can be stolen..  This IMO is the main reason Bitcoin has value.
AGD
Legendary

Activity: 2070
Merit: 1164

Keeper of the Private Key

View Profile
June 05, 2015, 03:02:31 PM

When I heard about the internet the first time, I thought this will be kind of a world revolution and it turned out to be true.

Bitcoin is not a bubble, it's the pin!
+++ GPG Public key FFBD756C24B54962E6A772EA1C680D74DB714D40 +++ http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1C680D74DB714D40
coinpr0n

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 05, 2015, 03:14:50 PM

When I heard about the internet the first time, I thought this will be kind of a world revolution and it turned out to be true.

Same. And the other one that really caught my attention was learning about Linux (and in general open source) back in the 90's. Internet. Linux. And now Bitcoin.

eerygarden

Activity: 406

View Profile
June 05, 2015, 03:16:06 PM

How old was you when you first heard about the internet? I was a kid when the internet was new and didn't think much besides, "this is pretty cool". Revolution never entered my mind.
AGD
Legendary

Activity: 2070
Merit: 1164

Keeper of the Private Key

View Profile
June 05, 2015, 03:21:48 PM

How old was you when you first heard about the internet? I was a kid when the internet was new and didn't think much besides, "this is pretty cool". Revolution never entered my mind.

Old enough enough to fiddle with a TI99, at the time it was released. Another revolution to me btw.

Bitcoin is not a bubble, it's the pin!
+++ GPG Public key FFBD756C24B54962E6A772EA1C680D74DB714D40 +++ http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1C680D74DB714D40
AtheistAKASaneBrain

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
June 05, 2015, 03:48:52 PM

The ability to have 100% control over your wealth and move it to anywhere on the planet with out capital controls stopping you, goves stealing it, criminals stealing it has NEVER been possible before Bitcoin.  Gold can be stolen..  This IMO is the main reason Bitcoin has value.

Indeed, thats why Andreas Antonopoulous became insane when he discovered BTC at first and studied in dept for 6 months straight without any sleep. If you really understand what we are dealing with, you would know how important it is, and you would also know that having entire unit of value (1 BTC) when there are still opportunities to get it is a must. If yo do not, you don't understand what we are dealing with, you just don't ge the magnitude of things here.
eerygarden

Activity: 406

View Profile
June 05, 2015, 04:59:16 PM

Old enough enough to fiddle with a TI99, at the time it was released. Another revolution to me btw.
Is it all you hoped it would be and more?
Ayle56

Activity: 185
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 05, 2015, 06:23:57 PM

Indeed, thats why Andreas Antonopoulous became insane when he discovered BTC at first and studied in dept for 6 months straight without any sleep. If you really understand what we are dealing with, you would know how important it is, and you would also know that having entire unit of value (1 BTC) when there are still opportunities to get it is a must. If yo do not, you don't understand what we are dealing with, you just don't ge the magnitude of things here.

When he first heard about it he dismissed it as trivial. Only later did he realize how important it is, then studied it non stop for months. This is a quote from his book.

I first stumbled upon bitcoin in mid-2011. My immediate reaction was more or less "Pfft! Nerd money!" and I ignored it for another six months, failing to grasp its importance.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: