Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:11:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Member list columns  (Read 512 times)
ibminer (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1819
Merit: 2788

Goonies never say die.

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2015, 06:12:41 PM

Any chance on getting the trust score added as one of the columns in the 'member list' ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2015, 06:15:08 PM

That is not needed. You shouldn't judge a person by looking at trust score.

ibminer (OP)
Legendary

Goonies never say die.

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2015, 06:36:21 PM

You shouldn't judge a person by looking at the post count, but that's on there... there are other reasons to have the column listed.  Wink

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2015, 07:51:29 PM

You shouldn't judge a person by looking at the post count, but that's on there... there are other reasons to have the column listed.  Wink

Maybe we should judge people by their ICQ number. Old ICQ numbers certainly show some maturity.

I think the problem is that the information on the member page is the same for everyone and can thus easily be cached. The trust score is greatly dependant on your personal trust list and thus would need to query the entire database every time you view the page. Thats probably a bit heavy on the server.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
ibminer (OP)
Legendary

Goonies never say die.

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2015, 06:19:25 PM

You shouldn't judge a person by looking at the post count, but that's on there... there are other reasons to have the column listed.  Wink

Maybe we should judge people by their ICQ number. Old ICQ numbers certainly show some maturity.

I think the problem is that the information on the member page is the same for everyone and can thus easily be cached. The trust score is greatly dependant on your personal trust list and thus would need to query the entire database every time you view the page. Thats probably a bit heavy on the server.

For my intents and purposes, it could be based on the DefaultTrust list and could be cached. I didn't want to shout this from the rooftops, but my hope was to be able to zone in on higher-up accounts being sold/bought. Trust count is a value that usually has to be partially disclosed by the seller in order to inspire buyers and add more value to their account, and could be cross-referenced with the memberlist to at least narrow down what accounts could be sold/bought, and then monitor those accounts more closely for scams. I could go into further details on my thoughts, but I'd rather not.

I realize a lot of people seem to be fine with allowing accounts to be bought/sold, but when accounts with high trust, legendary status, etc. are being sold, I really think it creates a bad atmosphere on this forum and opens up a high potential for *large* scams when someone smart enough buys out one (or multiple) of those accounts. Escrows could be bought/sold, so don't give me the "just make sure you use escrow and no worries".

One fear, if this isn't already happening, is that this will evolve to people starting alts with a new wallet, building them up, then selling their 'wallet.dat' files with their account to allow someone to 100% take an account as if he IS the original owner.

I think I understand Satoshis goal of a "trustless" system, but never being able to establish trust, even with someone you've dealt with numerous times, IMO stifles trading volume and the market in general, and creates more potential for large scale scams.

The forum can't stop it, but what about just a rule that says you can't sell your account through an alt, only the account being sold is the one you can post the sale from?... to try and open up transparency a little more?  I realize they could just goto another forum and make the sale but I'm not sure its great having full support from the forum for buying/selling forum accounts.

DiamondCardz
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1112

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2015, 07:29:00 PM

One fear, if this isn't already happening, is that this will evolve to people starting alts with a new wallet, building them up, then selling their 'wallet.dat' files with their account to allow someone to 100% take an account as if he IS the original owner.

Unfortunately, I don't even believe you need to go to that extent (extracting, sweeping and sending a wallet.dat file) to be able to give the illusion that the account was never sold. Simply extracting your private key (using dumpprivkey on Bitcoin-QT or just a few clicks on some web wallets) for a verified address and then sending it as you sell the account gives them enough to be able to feign your identity. It's unfortunately quite a sour situation but no-one can do much about it.

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: