Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 07:59:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer S3+ Questions  (Read 894 times)
NoahWL1 (OP)

Activity: 173
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 05, 2015, 08:46:37 PM

Today I came back home and I sure was in for a scare:  My Antminer S3 and its crappy PSU (didn't know how bad it was when I bought it) was melting.  The wires and connectors had melted off and the miner stopped running.  Needless to say, I tried it out with my S1's PSU and it's totalled.  So I need a new miner.  I do this mostly for fun so I'm not too worried about losing much money, but it would be nice to make some back.  I don't have the money for an S5, and by the time I do I'm sure a newer and more expensive miner will have come out.  So far, the S3+ seems to be my best bet as long as I overclock it and actually use a PSU that isn't garbage.  Here's my questions:

- How many gh/s would I be able to get if I overclocked it to the maximum without it overheating?
- What would be considered overheating?  (I live in a hot environment)
- What power supply would I need to run it stable stable and efficiently?  (Preferably Corsair, I've had nothing go wrong with them)
- Has anyone had any problems with their S3+ running unstable when overclocking?
- At the same pricepoint for a used S3+ (~$120-$165), is there a better, more efficient and faster miner than the S3+? I'm willing to go with different brands as long as they're stable, easy to manage and set up, and overall awesome just like the Antminers.

Thanks in advance for your help, guys.  Happy mining, and do not buy Sentey power supplies!
GrumpyBear2

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 05, 2015, 10:09:50 PM

I’ve had one S3+ where a PCI-e connector started to turn brown with very mild over-clocking.   So I changed the clocking and switched to the other PCI-e connector that was still good (on that side).  Once I saw that I decided to under-clock all of my S3+’s from there on out to maintain resale value. 
Thanks goodness by then the S5 had come out and I started switching over and selling all my S3’s on eBay.  I’m running all of my S5’s at the stock clock rates and have not had any problems.

You should be able to get a used S3 on eBay for the $75 to $100 range?
NoahWL1 (OP)

View Profile
June 05, 2015, 10:20:48 PM

I’ve had one S3+ where a PCI-e connector started to turn brown with very mild over-clocking.   So I changed the clocking and switched to the other PCI-e connector that was still good (on that side).  Once I saw that I decided to under-clock all of my S3+’s from there on out to maintain resale value. 
Thanks goodness by then the S5 had come out and I started switching over and selling all my S3’s on eBay.  I’m running all of my S5’s at the stock clock rates and have not had any problems.

You should be able to get a used S3 on eBay for the $75 to $100 range?

Yes, a used S3 would be around $80 but I was thinking of getting the S3+ for more overclocking potential... But now that you say your connectors were browning -and mine nearly caught fire and melted into the miner- I think I'll pass...  I'd love to get an S5 but $340 + a new PSU for it is just too much.  I'd like to stick to no more than $220.  Maybe I'll just pick up another S3 unless there's a better miner out there that I've yet to hear of.
dimke_yu

Activity: 461
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2015, 02:11:36 PM

Grab another S3/S3+ for $100 or below, buy decent PSU that will run both of them with ease... you almost have S5 on stock settings...

NoahWL1 (OP)

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 03:35:55 PM

Grab another S3/S3+ for $100 or below, buy decent PSU that will run both of them with ease... you almost have S5 on stock settings...
Yep, just bought 2 S3s for $80 each.  I'm about to get a PSU now.
dimke_yu

Activity: 461
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2015, 11:05:35 AM

Smart move! They are really great devices with low temperature and noise when working. If you have room and cheap enough electricity they are way to go.

notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 11, 2015, 12:36:21 PM

Hope all goes well on it. Really do take his advice on buying a decent PSU to heart.

Some people trying lowest possible cost with S3's seem to try to save a buck on PSU.  And PSU is really not a part you want to go with bad quality.
NoahWL1 (OP)

View Profile
June 11, 2015, 12:37:33 PM

Hope all goes well on it. Really do take his advice on buying a decent PSU to heart.

Some people trying lowest possible cost with S3's seem to try to save a buck on PSU.  And PSU is really not a part you want to go with bad quality.
Thank you, I have.  I bought a 1000w Corsair, it should be good for running 2 S3s non overclocked.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 11, 2015, 12:42:15 PM

Thank you, I have.  I bought a 1000w Corsair, it should be good for running 2 S3s non overclocked.

Glad to hear!  That is more then enough power for two, and a good brand on PSU.  Let us know how it goes!
mswells

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 12, 2015, 01:44:09 AM

I am seeing what appears to be someone accessing my S3, and surfing websites with it.
Is this actually happening.....and How do I stop it from happening ?
bitsolutions

Activity: 261
Merit: 257

View Profile
June 12, 2015, 02:07:08 AM

I am seeing what appears to be someone accessing my S3, and surfing websites with it.
Why do you think someone is accessing it, are you looking at some sort of logfile? What do you mean by "surfing websites with it"?

Mining Software Developer.
mswells

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 12, 2015, 02:56:44 AM

Yes...I am seeing various websites being accessed from the ip of the Antminer, that I am running to an AP, to my router.
NoahWL1 (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2015, 02:59:11 AM

You should post this in a separate thread.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: