Bitcoin Forum
May 15, 2024, 06:20:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can Bitcoin surpass Gold ? Could it be used as (Store of Value) instead of Gold?  (Read 2990 times)
Fakhoury (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1027

Permabull Bitcoin Investor

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 12:55:59 AM

Hello,

After watching this YouTube video

Bitcoin 101 - Modelling the Price of Bitcoin - Is a $100,000 bitcoin possible?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2nXgK34HIM

A question has raised a flag in my head.

Can Bitcoin surpass Gold ? Could it be used as (Store of Value) instead of Gold in the coming 5 - 10 years ?

Is it possible and probable ? Not even 100%, but like 20-50% ?

What do you think ?

Quote from:  Satoshi Nakamoto
Feb. 14, 2010: I’m sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume.
lyth0s
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 04:56:03 AM

It's very possible. Only time will tell.

Food for thought: Bitcoin is extremely scarce with a hard cap. It is infinitely divisible, extremely mobile, cost nothing to "transport" and takes up almost no physical space (other than the device used to send/receive).

There will ever only be 21 million bitcoins. There is over 50 million troy ounces of gold mined each year (current estimates are about 80 million troy ounces per year).

Essentially no store/merchant accepts gold coins/bars in exchange for goods. The number of places accepting bitcoin in exchange for goods/services has gone up dramatically over the past few years.

In 10 years I give Bitcoin a 20%+ chance of truly being a Gold 2.0.

In 20 years I give Bitcoin a 50%+ chance of being the new global reserve currency.

Monero - Truly Anonymous Digital Cash. Bitcoin Reading List 2017
Fakhoury (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1027

Permabull Bitcoin Investor

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 11:39:20 AM

Food for thought: Bitcoin is extremely scarce with a hard cap. It is infinitely divisible, extremely mobile, cost nothing to "transport" and takes up almost no physical space (other than the device used to send/receive).

There will ever only be 21 million bitcoins. There is over 50 million troy ounces of gold mined each year (current estimates are about 80 million troy ounces per year).

Essentially no store/merchant accepts gold coins/bars in exchange for goods. The number of places accepting bitcoin in exchange for goods/services has gone up dramatically over the past few years.

In 20 years I give Bitcoin a 50%+ chance of being the new global reserve currency.

Thank you for your reply.

All what you said is true and makes sense.

I just have a question regarding this point

On what basis did you say 20%+ or it's just speculation ?

Quote from:  Satoshi Nakamoto
Feb. 14, 2010: I’m sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume.
Sakarias-Corporation

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

Call me Alice. just Alice.

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2015, 09:05:28 PM

Thing about gold is that I might have 500 Million KGs on my backyard just waiting to be rigged up... Now if that would happen that gold would lose it value.

markj113
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1043

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 09:21:04 PM
Last edit: June 06, 2015, 09:55:57 PM by markj113

Most people cant grasp that the above two statements in bold completely contradict each other.

If there was only 1 bitcoin in existence but it is infinitely divisible it is not scarce.

Maybe not directly but I bet I could take a gold coin/bar to any country in the world and pretty quickly convert it to the local currency as needed to buy goods and services, try that with BTC

The fact that these BTC v gold threads keep popping up just goes to show its hard wired into people for some unknown reason that gold is special and the ultimate store of wealth.

Gold market cap roughly - $6,843,058,204,925
BTC market cap roughly - $......3,373,831,169

Bitcoin has its place and will evolve over time but it will never surpass gold as a store of wealth.
dmwardjr
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1318

Technical Analyst/Trader

View Profile
June 07, 2015, 02:47:42 AM

I personally like this guy's argument on bitcoin versus gold: 

https://cdn.panteracapital.com/wp-content/uploads/Bitcoin-vs-Gold.pdf

I'll chime in later on my opinion.  But I must say most of my opinions are right in line with this guy I linked you to.

Follow me on Trading View for excellent signals in Bitcoin/US dollar - Bitstamp - https://www.tradingview.com/u/WyckoffMode/.  You can follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/ModeWyckoff My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8IbhpQwrTD6BozJPWnyAHA  My Discord Invite Link: https://discord.com/invite/3EJYTytaTT  My Website is in LIVE BETA: https://wyckoffmode.com/
illyiller

Activity: 697
Merit: 520

View Profile
June 07, 2015, 03:08:11 AM

Comparing ounces of physical weight to infinitely divisible bitcoins is a bit arbitrary, don't you think?

The scarcity attribute is there, but it's difficult to compare with gold's long history of valuation spanning many thousands of years.

And OP -- 5-10 years? What's the hurry?
bornil267645

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2015, 03:51:13 AM

I guess it could one day, I mean who knows, in ten years gold might not have the shine (at current falling rate) and bitcoin may still be here to take the front stage. At that point, we can finally use Bitcoin as Store of Value.

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
June 07, 2015, 09:12:56 AM

talking from a mere price point of view, gold was already surpassed, talking about store of value, bitcoin is born for that with is limited amount and deflationary system, add to this

comodity, you don't need so much space to story it like gold
no taxes needed to store it(but this may change in a far distant future if they tax your bitcoin directly, and not only when you dump for fiat), so moot point
easy trasportable compared to gold, and no fees again(or small ones)
much easy to hide than gold(here i'm talking only about physical gold)
harder to steal if you know what you are doing...
not seizable by any bank(this is related to the second point, it can change in the future, no one know...)

so there all the possibility for it to surpass gold as a store of value
Habeler876

Activity: 624
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 07, 2015, 09:15:47 AM

Why would bitcoin surpass gold? Shocked

Give it time. Even if bitcoin is here to stay, Rome wasn't built in a day. But hey, I'm not one to believe that BTC is about to become world reserve currency, or some craziness like that, either.

randy8777
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 07, 2015, 09:39:47 AM

Give it time. Even if bitcoin is here to stay, Rome wasn't built in a day. But hey, I'm not one to believe that BTC is about to become world reserve currency, or some craziness like that, either.

people like to fantasize about bitcoin taking over fiat currency and gold. it's only not going to happen. what's wrong with bitcoin being an alternative instead of saying it will take over this and that.
Trouble821

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 07, 2015, 10:36:18 AM

people like to fantasize about bitcoin taking over fiat currency and gold. it's only not going to happen. what's wrong with bitcoin being an alternative instead of saying it will take over this and that.

Gold has some properties that bitcoin lacks. For one thing people can use it to show off by wearing bling gold jewelry. Those wearing it instantly make a statement that they have thousands of dollars without saying a word. There is a whole industry of jewelry shops and pawn shops making a living from that property of gold.

Showing off that you have thousands of dollars worth of bitcoins is not as easy. Bitcoin might become worth more than gold, but it's never going to take its place.
Kupsi
Legendary

Activity: 1193
Merit: 1003

9.9.2012: I predict that single digits... <- FAIL

View Profile
June 07, 2015, 11:07:51 AM

If there was only 1 bitcoin in existence but it is infinitely divisible it is not scarce.

You are wrong. If you were on a desert island, and the only food there was a piece of bread. If the piece of bread was infinitely divisible, you don't think it is scarce?
markj113
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1043

View Profile
June 07, 2015, 01:51:14 PM

You are wrong. If you were on a desert island, and the only food there was a piece of bread. If the piece of bread was infinitely divisible, you don't think it is scarce?

Bit of a pointless comparison because the value (calories) of the bread is fixed.  The value of a division of a bitcoin is not and can be valued at any price people agree on.

dmwardjr
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1318

Technical Analyst/Trader

View Profile
June 07, 2015, 04:26:38 PM

Gold has some properties that bitcoin lacks. For one thing people can use it to show off by wearing bling gold jewelry. Those wearing it instantly make a statement that they have thousands of dollars without saying a word. There is a whole industry of jewelry shops and pawn shops making a living from that property of gold.

Showing off that you have thousands of dollars worth of bitcoins is not as easy. Bitcoin might become worth more than gold, but it's never going to take its place.

I would say bitcoin [Or some other crypto currency] could quite easily take gold's place as the world's "preferred" means of "storing worth."  For one, it takes up very little space in comparison to gold.  Which means one could easily carry around billions of dollars in "net worth" without breaking a swet.  If you read the link I posted earlier, you will see how much better bitcoin [Or some other crypto] is much better than gold and can be worth far more than gold in the future.

https://cdn.panteracapital.com/wp-content/uploads/Bitcoin-vs-Gold.pdf

Follow me on Trading View for excellent signals in Bitcoin/US dollar - Bitstamp - https://www.tradingview.com/u/WyckoffMode/.  You can follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/ModeWyckoff My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8IbhpQwrTD6BozJPWnyAHA  My Discord Invite Link: https://discord.com/invite/3EJYTytaTT  My Website is in LIVE BETA: https://wyckoffmode.com/
manselr
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 02:58:56 PM

Hello,

After watching this YouTube video

Bitcoin 101 - Modelling the Price of Bitcoin - Is a $100,000 bitcoin possible?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2nXgK34HIM

A question has raised a flag in my head.

Can Bitcoin surpass Gold ? Could it be used as (Store of Value) instead of Gold in the coming 5 - 10 years ?

Is it possible and probable ? Not even 100%, but like 20-50% ?

What do you think ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPIvqJsCOSo

Check this video out. I think it's a realistic approach. I don't see Bitcoin replacing national currencies, but I see it becoming Gold 2.0. The ultimate way to store value on the cloud.
As for time required to defeat Gold, I think it will take more than 5 years, but 10 years from now we'll see the first signs of serious amounts of wealth moving from Gold to BTC.
Kupsi
Legendary

Activity: 1193

9.9.2012: I predict that single digits... <- FAIL

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 04:02:12 PM

Bit of a pointless comparison because the value (calories) of the bread is fixed.  The value of a division of a bitcoin is not and can be valued at any price people agree on.

The same applies to gold, so I guess gold isn't scarce then.
Afrikoin
Legendary

Activity: 1540

alan watts is all you need

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 04:04:17 PM

+1

A scarce digital alternative asset class. Very possible and i don't mind this either. Question is, would its value escalate wildly if its use as an alternative became mainstream?

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
          ▄██████████████████▄
       ▄████████████████████████▄
 ▄▄  ▄████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████████▄
 ▀▀█████████████████████████████████▄
   ██████████████████████████████████
   ▀████████████████████████████████▀
    ▀██████████████████████████████▀
     ▀▀██████████████████████████▀
        ▀██████████████████████▀
           ▀▀▀████████████▀▀▀

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 06:39:02 PM
Last edit: June 10, 2015, 08:21:20 AM by Amph

+1

A scarce digital alternative asset class. Very possible and i don't mind this either. Question is, would its value escalate wildly if its use as an alternative became mainstream?

that's the point, it won't raise for nothing, if it would remain only a mere alternative, and maybe a niche alternative, well it depend how big you can see this alternative

going mainstream and being alternative are two things that can't live together
JayCoDon

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2015, 03:44:20 PM

When I was debating the gold vs. bitcoin argument with a colleague, he used to say that gold was the best store of value. And I agreed with him. But I said that bitcoin would one day replace that because not only does it share similar properties to gold (it's technologically scarce), but it also has properties that make it far superior to gold. As many have said here, and as I said to him, I can walk into a store and pay with bitcoin if the shop accepts it. And my bitcoin will be easily broken up depending on if he is charging me $1.99 or $1.95. Doing that with gold is virtually impossible. He argued, "but there are gold coins." And I replied, "those gold coins are worth more than their face value."

The moral of the argument is this: gold isn't going away, but as bitcoin appreciates in value and becomes more stable, people will move to bitcoin. And what they'll like about it is the ease in which they can still transact while having a "safe" currency.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: