Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:53:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: NYC man robbed of his bitcoins at gunpoint  (Read 2233 times)
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 01:56:27 AM

This is a stickup — of your virtual cash!

Two armed bandits robbed a Crown Heights man of $1,100 in bitcoins on the street last week, police said.
The 28-year-old victim had arranged through a Craigslist ad to meet with a man who purportedly wanted to buy his online currency May 27, sources said.

After the pair met up at Troy Avenue and Crown Street, the supposed would-be buyer asked the victim to come to his car, a silver Honda, to seal the deal, sources said.

But once inside, a second man in the back seat pulled a gun on the victim, demanding that he transfer the bitcoins to the two men.

The creeps also stole the victim’s cell phone before fleeing.

Police said they’re looking for two men — one of whom is believed to be 19 years old — as well as a woman, whose involvement in the mugging is unclear.

http://nypost.com/2015/06/05/nyc-man-robbed-at-gunpoint-for-his-bitcoins/

----------------------------------------------------------------
Trust no one.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
saturn643

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 03:04:11 AM

therefore any transaction involving cash or bitcoin transactions It should be done in a public area
Falconer
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1126

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 03:30:57 AM

It will be safer if we just do online transaction. This news be warning sign to us when do transaction in public. The other way in making transaction is do it in crowded place like cafe, market, etc. Be careful guys.

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████▀▀██▀██▀▀█████████
█████████████▄█████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
█████████████████████████
O F F I C I A L   P A R T N E R S
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?.
..PLAY NOW..
panju1
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 03:44:43 AM

It will be safer if we just do online transaction. This news be warning sign to us when do transaction in public. The other way in making transaction is do it in crowded place like cafe, market, etc. Be careful guys.

There are some people who wouldn't like to link their bank details to the trade by doing an online transaction. If they want to do it in person, best thing is to do it in a public place.
Falconer
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 04:43:15 AM

There are some people who wouldn't like to link their bank details to the trade by doing an online transaction. If they want to do it in person, best thing is to do it in a public place.

Yeah and they will be robbed like in the news. But if they do transaction in less bitcoin development country, it will be safer since not many people have known about bitcoin and will do crime on that.

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?.
..PLAY NOW..
DraggerC1

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 05:17:41 AM

1100$ in bitcoins?
that wasnt worth it lol
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 05:54:33 AM

1100$ in bitcoins?
that wasnt worth it lol

Both the potential buyer and the seller were idiots. The seller could have refused the demand and asked them to come over to a public area. The thieves on the other hand, risk at least 10 years in jail for armed robbery (it doesn't matter whether Bitcoin is classified as a commodity or as a currency by the NYC). 10 years in prison for just $1,100?
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2015, 06:12:46 AM

1100$ in bitcoins?
that wasnt worth it lol

Both the potential buyer and the seller were idiots. The seller could have refused the demand and asked them to come over to a public area. The thieves on the other hand, risk at least 10 years in jail for armed robbery (it doesn't matter whether Bitcoin is classified as a commodity or as a currency by the NYC). 10 years in prison for just $1,100?

It is hard to do but easy to speculate. When we are in danger, it is hard to think about all possible solutions. Most of us will probably do what they say because it is easy.

Firecircle09

Activity: 5

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 09:25:09 AM

people risk 10years for 1100$
cruel world!
elusive1

Activity: 315
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 02:15:56 PM

This was always my thought when looking at a BTC ATM map.
qiwoman2
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1023

Oikos.cash | Decentralized Finance on Tron

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 02:18:37 PM

What a shame crime has now reached so much sophistication. My sister was telling me the other day that through Craigslist there is so much crime including battering peeps in their own homes. One lady was murdered through craigslist. I wouldn't do any transaction unless it is online but even then you got to be careful of all the hackers and scammers.

█▀█ █ █▄▀ █▀█ █▀ ░ █▀▀ ▄▀█ █▀ █░█
█▄█ █ █░█ █▄█ ▄█ ▄ █▄▄ █▀█ ▄█ █▀█

DeFi on Tron
and trustless token exchange
█████

█████

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████

JOIN OIKOS

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████

█████
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
█████
Falconer
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 03:03:33 PM

cruel world!

That's the best way to prevent any crimes like that to happen again. So, what do you think if the punishment just 1 week? The robbers will say "come on we rob him/her, at least we will be sentenced just for a week".

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?.
..PLAY NOW..
JarvisTechnology

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 03:13:21 PM

cruel world!

That's the best way to prevent any crimes like that to happen again. So, what do you think if the punishment just 1 week? The robbers will say "come on we rob him/her, at least we will be sentenced just for a week".
[/quote

I think the point is not the the length of the sentence but the willingness of the thieves to risk it. Maybe they're unaware, which is unlikely, but in any case, it's scary how people have no realization of consequences of their actions.

bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 03:24:16 PM

I think the point is not the the length of the sentence but the willingness of the thieves to risk it. Maybe they're unaware, which is unlikely, but in any case, it's scary how people have no realization of consequences of their actions.

He lost much more than $1,100.

Katz said he was forced to transfer $8,500 worth of bitcoin and also was robbed of $3,500 in cash.

In total, he lost some $12,000. In addition to this, he lost his credit card, as well as his Samsung mobile phone. Don't ask me why he was carrying that much cash with him at that point of time. Honestly I don't know.  Angry
BRE
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1014

Lucky.lat | Marketing Solutions & Implementations

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2015, 03:30:54 PM

cruel world!

Drugs addict, i believe this 2 bandits need money for drugs.They never think about 10 years in prison for their crime, they only think how to get money fast and easy.

Lucky.lat | Marketing Solutions & Implementations

https://lucky.lat/

Contact Us!
sales@lucky.lat
BTI4LIFE

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 03:33:51 PM

Katz said he was forced to transfer $8,500 worth of bitcoin and also was robbed of $3,500 in cash.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/03/Aybabtu.png

bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 03:43:21 PM

Drugs addict, i believe this 2 bandits need money for drugs.They never think about 10 years in prison for their crime, they only think how to get money fast and easy.

Drug addicts desperate for money normally don't show this type of sophistication. In this case, these two goons worked out a well-planned operation, and managed to convince the victim to do trade with them. They also selected their victim wisely. They chose someone who is inexperienced, and less likely to report the crime to the cops. Also, they knew that it is difficult to prove the theft of Btcoins.
BTI4LIFE

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 03:48:21 PM

Drug addicts desperate for money normally don't show this type of sophistication. In this case, these two goons worked out a well-planned operation, and managed to convince the victim to do trade with them. They also selected their victim wisely. They chose someone who is inexperienced, and less likely to report the crime to the cops. Also, they knew that it is difficult to prove the theft of Btcoins.

the whole thing sounds like a drug deal ~ maybe the deal went bad somehow and they split with his coins? who knows anything is possible! Smiley  +where did he get the bitcoins to begin with? Being an underground currency dealer is a tough job! ~ Especially in NYC ! lol Wink
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 04:55:04 PM

the whole thing sounds like a drug deal ~ maybe the deal went bad somehow and they split with his coins? who knows anything is possible! Smiley  +where did he get the bitcoins to begin with? Being an underground currency dealer is a tough job! ~ Especially in NYC ! lol Wink

I don't know. The Craiglist ad dealt with the sale of Bitcoins, and not the sale of any sort of drugs. If he was dealing in drugs, I really doubt whether the victim would have gone to the cops to launch the complaint.

And regarding the source of the Bitcoins, don't be so negative. He might have purchased them in 2011 or 2012, when the exchange rates were really low, or he might have mined them himself.
BTI4LIFE

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 04:59:27 PM

the whole thing sounds like a drug deal ~ maybe the deal went bad somehow and they split with his coins? who knows anything is possible! Smiley  +where did he get the bitcoins to begin with? Being an underground currency dealer is a tough job! ~ Especially in NYC ! lol Wink

I don't know. The Craiglist ad dealt with the sale of Bitcoins, and not the sale of any sort of drugs. If he was dealing in drugs, I really doubt whether the victim would have gone to the cops to launch the complaint.

And regarding the source of the Bitcoins, don't be so negative. He might have purchased them in 2011 or 2012, when the exchange rates were really low, or he might have mined them himself.

i actually had a similar experience back in 2013 ~ ya if you are going to do street deals use common sense! Cheesy  noobs
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: