Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 03:45:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: NYC man robbed of bitcoins  (Read 2493 times)
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 05:21:48 PM

That's all pretty confusing. Katz claims to be robbed out of BTC, while police say his case is not bitcoin-related (?).

Katz lost the following, in addition to getting stabbed:

1. Bitcoin worth some $8,500
2. Fiat cash in US Dollar worth some $3,500
3. His new Samsung mobile phone
4. His credit cards.

As we can see here, the most valuable item was the Bitcoins. Can't understand why the cops announced that his case was not "bitcoin-related".
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 05:41:45 PM

Its NYP, you really trust their so called source?

Look at the article, 1/3 of it (altho the whole thing is shorter than a damn forum post) is about Silkroad again

Just read it and that's what I noticed. I'm leanin' toward there not being a police report on record for the supposed incident, with NYP gamblin' that nobody will check, and if somebody did and found nothing, NYP would then claim that the info was from an unnamed source. Meanwhile, they garnered eyeballs for their rag via the coy ploy, the likes that's in vogue to gain readership.
subSTRATA
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1043

:^)

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 08:20:30 PM

The media is deffinitely corrupted.

of course, negativity is the main criteria for the media in this country. the news stations here cant even make a calm report on the status of ebola in the US, what makes you think they can make an informative report on bitcoin, which they probably know next to nothing about besides that it was used to buy drugs on silk road

theres nothing here. message me if you want to put something here.
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 08:26:25 PM

For me this is a reason to just use exchanges online for selling my bitcoins.. Luckily in the Netherlands there are plenty services that provide easy buying and selling of bitcoin without any wait time. It costs a couple % though.
leopard2
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 09:22:11 PM

the BurtW or Ross U. robberies are much more troubling, this was just a self employed robber - the organized criminals are much worse  Wink

Truth is the new hatespeech.
randy8777
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 11:52:08 PM

For me this is a reason to just use exchanges online for selling my bitcoins.. Luckily in the Netherlands there are plenty services that provide easy buying and selling of bitcoin without any wait time. It costs a couple % though.

i'm from the netherlands as well. i use bitonic for buying and selling. when you buy, you only pay €0.50 bank fee. for selling it cost you around 1 or so %.
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2015, 11:57:03 PM

Economically and potentially physically suicidal to trade BTC in NYC, if you don't go through metal detectors with armed security at all access points (ie courthouses). Or just violate "gun control", because violent criminals give zero fucks and have all the guns they want at all times everywhere else.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
masterzino

Activity: 1218
Merit: 513

View Profile
June 07, 2015, 01:47:38 AM

Regardless of almost anything you're trading, it should take place in a crowded place during daylight to minimize risk.

TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2015, 04:42:00 AM

Regardless of almost anything you're trading, it should take place in a crowded place during daylight to minimize risk.

Umm https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
BTI4LIFE

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 07, 2015, 04:51:07 AM

what part of anonymous transactions are you confused about? ^ satoshi laughs! :-)
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 07, 2015, 06:57:33 AM

We are normally cautious when we are trading for the first time with someone. But if we are dealing with some person, who has been doing trade for a long time with us, then sometimes we ignore the negative consequences, and get somewhat relaxed. Normal people tend to trust strangers after a few nice deals. And conmen are quick to exploit this trust.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2015, 07:20:58 AM

what part of anonymous transactions are you confused about? ^ satoshi laughs! :-)

Bitcoin is not anonymous by design.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
June 07, 2015, 07:26:40 AM

they think that doing it in real life is less anonymous, but they forgot about all the risk that this can lead

at least if you want to really trade in real life, do it with a very good friend and none else
Possum577

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2015, 02:33:26 PM

This is not the first robbery of bitcoin in NYC. There's a documented instance that happened last year and there's a thread about it in this forum. Anyway, the theft of bitcoin is rarely newsworthy, we all know that pure nature of the currency lends it to being a target for theft. Is it news if someone claimed "I was robbed, someone took my cash!"? No. Unless the volume is in the tens of Millions.

I think a better take on this is that if the NY Post is writing articles about bitcoin, bitcoin is becoming more mainstream. People in NY aren't going to be turned off of bitcoin due to the theft, they're going to be intrigued thinking "maybe this bitcoin is something I need to have!"

subSTRATA
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1043

:^)

View Profile
June 07, 2015, 03:13:11 PM

they think that doing it in real life is less anonymous, but they forgot about all the risk that this can lead

at least if you want to really trade in real life, do it with a very good friend and none else

the loss of anonymity and the potential danger is what you risk for selling at a higher price; imo the tradeoff is definitely not worth it, id much rather use an exchange.

theres nothing here. message me if you want to put something here.
BTI4LIFE

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 07, 2015, 06:26:03 PM

Bitcoin is not anonymous by design.

sure ! tell that to all my friends who were using it back in 2012! it worked well for anonymous payments then ...did something change? * ? :\ hmmmmm
manselr
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 07, 2015, 09:38:38 PM

It looks really similar to a fake news posted somewhere last year. That not few people took as real until proven false
The other news were fake? Where is the proof that shows that was a fake?
I've considered sometimes using localbitcoins but im so paranoid about meeting IRL, who knows who is at the other end lol.
BlueYozakuraBTC

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

WILL SKYPE CHAT FOR 3 MILLION COMPOUND COIN

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2015, 12:04:59 PM

My question is why is he selling his bitcoin? Coinbase has a wallet to transfer btc automatically into your own currency = into your bank acct the next day. Also he can get a xbit card.

Am I missing something here? Why would you need to sell your bitcoin to someone in person?

I've read some of the scams on localbitcoins where people show up with fake checks, threaten someone or worse and it always seems to be some sketchy meet up situation.

▓▓▓▓▓▒░░
                       ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒
        ░░           ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒▒░
      ▒░        ░░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒▒░
    ░▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒░
   ░▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░            ▒
  ▒░▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒░              ░▓▒
 ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█░             ░▓▓▓░
 ░▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█░           ░▒▓▓▓▓▓░
     ▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▒          ░▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░
   ▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░         ░▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
 ░▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░          ░▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░
░▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░          ░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░
░▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▓░       ░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░
░▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▓░  ░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓░
 ░▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▓░     ░░
  ░▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░      ░█░
   ░▓▒░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░        ░██░
    ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░          ░███▒
      ░░▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░             ░▒█████░
                           ░░▒██████░
            ░░░░░░░░░░▒▒█████████░
                 ░░░░░░░░░░░░
Sphere .
  DECENTRALIZED SOCIAL NETWORK 
         OVER 250,000 HAVE JOINED!
ICO DATE 
Feb. 12, 2018
███
███████░
███████████
██████████████░
██████████████████
█████████████████████░
█████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████████████░
█████████████████
█████████████░
██████████
██████░
GET IT ON
Google Play
                     ░███
                   █████░
                  █████░
                 ▒███▓
         ░███▓       ░████▓
      ████████████████████████
    ░█████████████████████████
   ░████████████████████████▒
   ████████████████████████
   ░██████████████████████████
    ████████████████████████████
     ██████████████████████████
      ████████████████████████
       ░████████████████████▓
           █████    █████
DOWNLOAD ON THE
App Store
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 05:50:41 PM

Umm https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect

The crowded space is not because they feel other people will step in to help you, it is more of a disincentive from someone trying to rob you as there will be more witnesses later who can describe the thief and corroborate the victims story to police. While it is true some purse/phone snatcher type may attempt this anyway, they rely more on speed and not standing around conversing with someone for any length of time.

Anyway, this type of exchange might be best to take place at the police station, bank or somewhere with lots of cameras (and people). In any event I don't think getting into a car in a dark ally with stranger is wise under any circumstances, Bitcoin related or otherwise.
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 05:55:51 PM

That's all pretty confusing. Katz claims to be robbed out of BTC, while police say his case is not bitcoin-related (?).

Katz lost the following, in addition to getting stabbed:

1. Bitcoin worth some $8,500
2. Fiat cash in US Dollar worth some $3,500
3. His new Samsung mobile phone
4. His credit cards.

As we can see here, the most valuable item was the Bitcoins. Can't understand why the cops announced that his case was not "bitcoin-related".

It probably was not Bitcoin related in the sense that they were not specifically out to acquire Bitcoins. I am sure they exchanged them for cash at the first chance they got so it was more of a crime about acquiring fiat. They could have held up someone selling PM's, or an expensive watch, etc. and the crime wouldn't be a watch related crime, it is just a robbery of items of value that can be easily converted into cash.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: