Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 03:14:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie needs - a few bits for paypal  (Read 775 times)
Sttrrpprs (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 01:11:48 AM

A newbie here..how can one go about some bits for a paypal gift.......
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
scintill

Activity: 448
Merit: 254

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2012, 01:45:03 AM

They're called "bitcoins", and very few people will accept PayPal as it is too easy for the buyer to reverse the charge and run off with both cash and bitcoins.

If you can convince someone of why they should trust a brand new user, and be specific about how many bitcoins you want and at what rates, you might get some offers.

Edit: P.S. If you're OK with small fractions of a bitcoin (like, you just want to see how it works), look at Free Bitcoins Listing to see sites that will give bitcoins away.

1SCiN5kqkAbxxwesKMsH9GvyWnWP5YK2W | donations
Sttrrpprs (OP)

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 01:50:31 AM

thanks
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2012, 01:51:49 AM

where are you from?

lets get you setup to buy bitcoin your self on the open market!

SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 01:55:05 AM

They're called "bitcoins", and very few people will accept PayPal as it is too easy for the buyer to reverse the charge and run off with both cash and bitcoins.

If you can convince someone of why they should trust a brand new user, and be specific about how many bitcoins you want and at what rates, you might get some offers.

Edit: P.S. If you're OK with small fractions of a bitcoin (like, you just want to see how it works), look at Free Bitcoins Listing to see sites that will give bitcoins away.

Actually, OP mentions giving Paypal gifts, those are not reversible. If you are offering to pay first to trusted members in form of a paypal gift, you might get a few hits. That being said, if you are going to send a Paypal gift in return for BTC, make sure you are trading with a very trusted seller. There are 2 common outcomes, 1. You find a trusted seller, and everything goes through well. 2. You don't find a trusted seller and you get scammed.

Pick wisely my friend.
Sttrrpprs (OP)

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 01:55:52 AM

sorry, i shouldve said before, i have CampBx and have previously got a bunch through them.  I just have some extra cash in paypal, not sure if there are open market sites that allow paypal deposits?
scintill

Activity: 448
Merit: 254

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2012, 02:17:08 AM

Actually, OP mentions giving Paypal gifts, those are not reversible.

Not that I'm accusing Sttrrpprs of this, but: buyer could back the payment through credit card, then claim it was fraudulent in some way.  CC company will reverse the payment to PayPal, and PP isn't just going to absorb that loss -- they're going to take it back from the BTC seller.  DeathAndTaxes gave a rundown of different scenarios and concluded:

TL/DR:
Paying by gift to an untrusted persons = dangerous.
Accepting payment by gift from an untrsuted person = dangerous.

I don't have much personal experience, but believe the people who say there's pretty much no 100% safe way to use PayPal for virtual goods.

Anyway Sttrrpprs, good luck on making a deal, or maybe withdrawing your balance to a safer payment method.

1SCiN5kqkAbxxwesKMsH9GvyWnWP5YK2W | donations
dotcom

Activity: 354
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 06:12:34 AM

I'm still new to the bitcoin community, but I also thought that paypal gifts couldnt' be reversed
and have been told that that isn't true quite a few times now :0
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: