Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:03:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Been scammed?  (Read 720 times)
Sttrrpprs (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 01:54:15 AM

I imagine new members are always needing to look out for scamming? any guides around on member suggestions to prevent scamming?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 02:00:01 AM

I imagine new members are always needing to look out for scamming? any guides around on member suggestions to prevent scamming?
Yep. Use your brains. And if you need to judge a person take a look at their previous postings. A good sign is if they are involved in a serious business. E.g. Proven mining operators and/or bitcoin code and/or service developers.

The ASICMINER Project https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0
"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 02:12:17 AM

I would advise searching the scam accusation board here. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=83.0 to check and see if specific individuals have been referenced.

When dealing with someone, feel free to ask for their references, and look for written references from other members. If I write, yeah trust me, theymos vouches for me, and I can't provide documentation to back that up, its probably a good idea to walk away.

Just do a bit of background searching, check their last posts, make sure they don't have any scam accusations, and using Escrow is always a great idea if both of the members in business are new or don't have a positive or negative record. Any of the trusted members will offer an escrow service, sometimes free, sometimes at a 1% fee. Two names that come to mind are Kludge and DeathandTaxes.

Don't be constantly afraid of getting scammed, there are good people out there too, but just be constantly weary of anything that just doesn't look right. Anyone with what you perceive as odd behavior, take extra precautions or just don't deal with them at all.

*Very Special Note* Being a new member, I can guarantee someone will accuse you of scamming in the near future. My best advice here (assuming you aren't scamming) is keep a level head, provide proof or extra assurances that you can't scam, offer to use escrow or what naught. You don't know how many times I've seen a new member questioned about something, they take it personally, get all offended, and start portraying behaviors of a scammer (whether they were or weren't)

I myself have lived by these rules, and never been scammed. I started as a new member, trading with trusted members ( I think my first buy/sell was with Tecshare) and my first major trades were with Pirate40 lol, I actually bought a few hundred BTC from him with MoneyPak, until I got to the point where I had a back record to back me up with some minor trades, and now most people would be comfortable trading with me. If they aren't, I'm perfectly fine with Escrow too.
finkleshnorts

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 02:20:47 AM

I was successfully scammed once as a newbie here.

You can always PM other members (I'm available) for advice if a transaction makes you uncomfortable. If you start feeling uncomfortable with a transaction, odds are it's a dud. Scammers are on this forum literally 24/7, and their main target is the newbie board.

USE ESCROW. Can't stress this enough. If someone refuses, then stay away.
camjenk

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 03:24:53 AM

I was successfully scammed once as a newbie here.

You can always PM other members (I'm available) for advice if a transaction makes you uncomfortable. If you start feeling uncomfortable with a transaction, odds are it's a dud. Scammers are on this forum literally 24/7, and their main target is the newbie board.

Stay in escrow, it is here for your protection and mine Cheesy
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 03:35:32 AM

Scammers are on this forum literally 24/7, and their main target is the newbie board.

Local boards are being also targeted, but when scams happen, most of time we don't know because they don't come to complaint.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 03:42:37 AM

- http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Secure_Trading
 - http://wiki.bitcoin-otc.com/wiki/Using_bitcoin-otc#Risk_of_fraud

I don't know if any escrowed funds got caught up in this post-pirate meltdown but some of the well known escrow providers are defaulting to their lenders.  I don't know if that means those using them for escrow also ended badly.

Essentially you don't want your escrow party to do anything with your escrowed funds but just sit on them and keep them safe until they are to be released per the terms of the agreement.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

jayguar

Activity: 616
Merit: 526

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 05:51:42 AM

I am a newbie here and I have been scammed elsewhere in currency exchanges. The links and information provided in this thread are quite useful. Escrow seems to be a good option.

░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░▄█████████████▄
░░░█████████████████
░░████▄░░░█████▄████
███▀██░░░███████████
██████░░░████████████
███▄██░░░██████▀█████
████░░░░░███████████
█████▄░░░░██████▀░░███
██████░░░░░▀▀▀░░░▄███
░░██████░░██▄▄▄▄████
░░░██████▄▀█▀▄████
░░░░▀█████████████▀
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
UNNAMED.EXCHANGE░░░░▄██░░
░░░░██░░░
░░░▀██▀░░
░░░░██░░░

░░▄▄░░░▄▄░░
░░███████░░
▐██▄█▄██▌
██▄  ▀  ▄██
░░░▄▄░░▄██▄░░
░░▀███▄███▌░░
░░░░██████░░░
░░░░▄███▀░░░░
░░░░░▄██░░░
░░░▄████░░░
░░██▀▄██▌░░
░░░░▀██░░
Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2012, 06:03:02 AM

- http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Secure_Trading
 - http://wiki.bitcoin-otc.com/wiki/Using_bitcoin-otc#Risk_of_fraud

I don't know if any escrowed funds got caught up in this post-pirate meltdown but some of the well known escrow providers are defaulting to their lenders.  I don't know if that means those using them for escrow also ended badly.

Essentially you don't want your escrow party to do anything with your escrowed funds but just sit on them and keep them safe until they are to be released per the terms of the agreement.
hang on WHAT?Huh
escrow providers are defaulting to their lenders
Thats not escrow - thats something else

when I do escrow I use a separate wallet with separate addresses for depositors - they can see their coins don't move until released to correct address.

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: