Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 12:09:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: little concerned  (Read 545 times)
JLynn171 (OP)

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 05:16:12 PM

I got this email yesterday from blockchain.info in the past i've had BTC stolen out of a blockchain wallet before that is why when i made this new one i added the whitelisted IP security measure to it since i have static IP, but what concerns me (since im not very techy) is how the would have figured out that long login or if this was someone who was just trying to access one of the addresses??? I mean im glad the extra step i took stopped a would be thief, but still wondering what step i need to take to rpevent that function from even being used its like owning a gun for security nice to have but you hope you never have to use it....

"Login attempt blocked

An attempt to access your My Wallet account has been blocked. For your own security please review the details below:

Time: 2015-06-06 03:22:43
IP Address: 64.233.172.253 (United States)
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; Google Web Preview) Chrome/27.0.1453 Safari/537.36
Reason: This Account Is Locked To Another IP Address.

If this login attempt was made by you this email can be safely ignored. However if this login attempt was not made by you somebody may be trying to access your wallet, in this case access was blocked."
Slunt

Activity: 59
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 05:24:36 PM

Well something is obviously compromised. Either your PC or email so check to see if those are safe as they're getting your log in details from somewhere.
Boelens

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 05:35:21 PM

Scan your PC for viruses, or if you want to be 100% safe format your entire hard drive, something got compromised somehow. Use another secure device to change your passwords on important things (e-mail,wallets, etc).
SpanishSoldier

Activity: 700
Merit: 255

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 05:39:01 PM

Make sure that you are not victim of a phishing attempt. Most of the time Google search results are topped by blockchain.info phishing sites. If you tried to login through any of them, your password is already compromised and because of IP whitelisting the atack has been thawrted. Change your password immediately.
anderson00673

Activity: 308

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 05:46:14 PM

Scan your PC for viruses, or if you want to be 100% safe format your entire hard drive, something got compromised somehow. Use another secure device to change your passwords on important things (e-mail,wallets, etc).

Malwarebytes has a free virus scanner, and it is supposed to be really good.  Just in case you don't already have virus software.
favdesu
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2015, 05:48:47 PM

Malwarebytes has a free virus scanner, and it is supposed to be really good.  Just in case you don't already have virus software.

this! install malwarebytes ASAP. and get Avira. Also, make sure your OS is updated

waterpile

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 10:46:40 PM

Make sure that you are not victim of a phishing attempt. Most of the time Google search results are topped by blockchain.info phishing sites. If you tried to login through any of them, your password is already compromised and because of IP whitelisting the atack has been thawrted. Change your password immediately.

Dude, you can't change your password in blockchain.info, It is better for OP to make another new wallet from a clean device to prevent future hackings/phishing attempt.
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 2347

View Profile
June 07, 2015, 12:17:56 AM

If you insist on continuing to use a blockchain.info wallet then you should at the very minimum create a new one (while using a different password then what you are using with your old wallet), and transfer all of the bitcoin from your old blockchain.info wallet into your new blockchain.info wallet. You most likely somehow leaked the identifier that you are using to some third party, I would say there is a good chance this leaked via the way that you backup your wallet so you should probably change whee you backup your wallet as well.

There is also the possibility that your computer is infected with some kind of malware/spyware so I would also take steps to check for the above and if malware is found then you should probably not create a new wallet with that computer.

I would however strongly recommend using some kind of wallet that is deterministic as this makes it much more difficult to lose access to your funds if you have your wallet properly backed up (you only need to backup your seed one time).
spud21

Activity: 342

View Profile
June 07, 2015, 12:37:37 AM

Boot from a live antivirus scanner CD like the ones Avira, BitDefender or Kaspersky. This is a link to the Avira CD.

http://www.avira.com/en/download/product/avira-rescue-system

This link explains how to use it to scan your computer and remove any viruses.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/38889/how-to-use-the-avira-rescue-cd-to-clean-your-infected-pc/
JLynn171 (OP)

Activity: 406

View Profile
June 07, 2015, 03:34:26 PM

Thanks for all info guys i ran my virus scanner found 1 virus hopefully that was cause and have gone and changed all my passwords to emails wallets things lie that.... feeling little better just glad i took that extra step in security to add whitellist I.P. :-)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: