Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:18:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: humble bundle and bitcoin  (Read 1699 times)
Gareth Nelson (OP)

Activity: 721
Merit: 503

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 06:51:26 PM

I asked them about accepting bitcoin and told them (honestly) that i'd spend a lot more on the bundles if they took BTC, got this reply:
Hey Gareth!

The EFF has a great statement on BitCoin that closely follows our feelings toward BitCoin, which is available here: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/06/eff-and-bitcoin

“We don’t fully understand the complex legal issues involved with creating a new currency system. Bitcoin raises untested legal concerns related to securities law, the Stamp Payments Act, tax evasion, consumer protection and money laundering, among others. And that’s just in the U.S. While EFF is often the defender of people ensnared in legal issues arising from new technologies, we try very hard to keep EFF from becoming the actual subject of those fights or issues. Since there is no caselaw on this topic, and the legal implications are still very unclear, we worry that our acceptance of Bitcoins may move us into the possible subject role.”

We like BitCoin and would love to accept it, but after contacting the EFF and a lawyer specializing in this sort of thing, we are not comfortable with the plethora of untested issues and legal traps, which would be a major distraction for us. We have been in contact with a number of bitcoin startups, and will be monitoring the landscape carefully.

Thank you for your support,

Drew
Support Ninja
Humble Bundle

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Coinabul

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Coinabul - Gold Unbarred

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2012, 07:22:26 PM

I asked them about accepting bitcoin and told them (honestly) that i'd spend a lot more on the bundles if they took BTC, got this reply:
Hey Gareth!

The EFF has a great statement on BitCoin that closely follows our feelings toward BitCoin, which is available here: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/06/eff-and-bitcoin

“We don’t fully understand the complex legal issues involved with creating a new currency system. Bitcoin raises untested legal concerns related to securities law, the Stamp Payments Act, tax evasion, consumer protection and money laundering, among others. And that’s just in the U.S. While EFF is often the defender of people ensnared in legal issues arising from new technologies, we try very hard to keep EFF from becoming the actual subject of those fights or issues. Since there is no caselaw on this topic, and the legal implications are still very unclear, we worry that our acceptance of Bitcoins may move us into the possible subject role.”

We like BitCoin and would love to accept it, but after contacting the EFF and a lawyer specializing in this sort of thing, we are not comfortable with the plethora of untested issues and legal traps, which would be a major distraction for us. We have been in contact with a number of bitcoin startups, and will be monitoring the landscape carefully.

Thank you for your support,

Drew
Support Ninja
Humble Bundle
Yeah, I sent them an inquiry last year, they won't accept Bitcoin without legal guidance. I think what the CLAG is doing is a good start towards clearing up the legal gray areas.

Coinabul.com - Gold Unbarred
Website owners, let me put my ads on your site! PM me!
Domrada

Activity: 254
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2012, 08:36:08 PM

<sigh>

Cowards.

DataTrading
TRADE FORECASTING BY ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
¦
PRE-SALE SPECIAL  30%  BONUS   
Pre sale starts on 11.20.2017 9:00 UTC
HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2012, 08:40:55 PM

Then you have to come back to EFF HQ and give them all the possible support Smiley

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 09:11:06 PM

I don't understand the tax evasion part of that statement. Isn't the humble bundle all downloadable software? Their isn't a tax on downloadable software, so that has nothing to do with bitcoins. Honestly they sound like they don't understand it and are scared of bitcoins.
Spenzert

Activity: 142
Merit: 100

Hello there!

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2012, 09:15:18 PM

They answered me the same thing on August:

Copy-Paste Roll Eyes

BTC: 1SpzM1yPu8SKPnr5zjn7ptXWGKFNywcoi | LTC: Lcz5RHPcxcrp63k1HNbAQUTQkUWon2RoMr
PGP/GPG Key
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 09:18:48 PM

Wait, so that's what they automatically reply with when someone emails them a message including words 'bitcoin' or 'btc'?

Signature space available for rent.
Spenzert

Activity: 142
Merit: 100

Hello there!

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2012, 09:25:36 PM

Wait, so that's what they automatically reply with when someone emails them a message including words 'bitcoin' or 'btc'?
No, it took me 2 days to get an answer, but they Copy-Paste when we say something about "Bitcoin" I guess Undecided

P.S: I told them about MtGox and it´s API, and they Copy-Paste Cry

BTC: 1SpzM1yPu8SKPnr5zjn7ptXWGKFNywcoi | LTC: Lcz5RHPcxcrp63k1HNbAQUTQkUWon2RoMr
PGP/GPG Key
hashman
Legendary

Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 09:43:48 PM

Seriously?  Humble Bundle?  World of Goo?
I would pay to have this crap removed from my system. 
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2012, 11:28:25 PM

Drew
Support Ninja
Humble Bundle

Ninja. Sure.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2012, 12:34:55 AM

wtf. Sell them. What are people so afraid of?

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 12:50:12 AM

I think we should stop asking people to accept Bitcoins and instead ask them to add BitInstant, etc as a payment processor. There's really nothing for them to object to in this case, because using a payment processor insulates them from the risk.
BitPay Business Solutions

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2012, 12:58:53 AM

I think we should stop asking people to accept Bitcoins and instead ask them to add BitInstant, etc as a payment processor. There's really nothing for them to object to in this case, because using a payment processor insulates them from the risk.

is BitInstant a Payment Processor?

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 01:03:38 AM

The EFF is a pathetic shadow of it's founding mission.
If they had taken this attitude towards encryption - we'd never have had freely available crypto.

That they do a hell of a lot of good in other areas is nice - but the damage they also do is a serious stain upon them.

The world would be worse off without the EFF - but on the other hand, they're occupying a space that could be filled by something better, and perhaps stopping that 'something better' from materialising. Sad.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 01:24:29 AM

is BitInstant a Payment Processor?
I meant BitPay, of course.

On the other hand it would be easier if less companies used Bit* as their name.
Gareth Nelson (OP)

Activity: 721
Merit: 503

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 06:01:28 AM

Technically it's possible to use /cashtobtc or the IPN system at BitInstant to implement a payment processor Wink

But yeah, I even mentioned bitpay to them after that above reply and got no response. It's sad as I fully meant what I said about paying more.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: