Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 11:44:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 50 BTC from the forum now frozen due to lack of moderation  (Read 3852 times)
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2884
Merit: 2327

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 04:57:33 PM

I feel sorry for those that don't understand having a wife (as clearly most forum poster's here don't).

You can't *reason* with an angry wife - you have to just try and fix the issue.

Apparently the mods decided to delete the most offensive posts and for that I am happy and I am sure once I show my wife this my offline PC will be returned to me.

I don't know why people think that it is so important to allow other people to be "assholes to each other* - personally I think "peace" is a better idea but in any case thanks to the mods that helped sort this out.

If @theymos is worried about me then once I get my offline PC back I will transfer the forum's funds to an address he gives me.

Lets hope that Theymos has an address ready for you to send the funds to by then.
DiamondCardz
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1112

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2015, 04:59:37 PM

Just read about him!
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=583286.msg6406604#msg6406604

I really think Multi-sig should be encouraged for all forum btc.

The main problem is it's hard to find trustworthy treasurers, currently theymos still holds most of the BTC.

Exactly, even with multisig, one missing person can block all funds.

I thought this was not the case with 2-of-3 multisig transactions?

Anyway, glad to see this seems like it has/will be sorted out. I do think that the reaction was over-the-top but the posts were pretty over-the-top as well and it's good the worst of them were deleted (as they seem like simply an attempt to troll and harass based on their content and the poster).

Also, to avoid the "most forum users are single"/"as clearly most forum posters here don't" argument, I do have a significant other. I still believe that the whole situation shouldn't have really happened in the first place, even though the posts were bad. I agree with KWH on that this would normally set a bad precedence...in all honesty though they were pretty rough posts. The matter at which this issue was raised - extortion - is completely out-of-hand, though.

I think you should send the BTC back to theymos now however, @CIYAM.

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2015, 05:00:46 PM

Lets hope that Theymos has an address ready for you to send the funds to by then.

Sure - why don't you PM him?

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2015, 05:02:45 PM

I think you should send the BTC back to theymos now however, @CIYAM.

Once I get my offline PC back then yes - I will be happy to do this.

This has been one of the most unpleasant experiences in my life - I have no want to repeat it.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1060

between a rock and a block!

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 05:03:05 PM

Of course I am sure most forum members don't want to see such a topic but unfortunately I had my offline computer taken from me and have no other way to regain control of the 50 BTC that I am holding for the forum.

If you think it is fine that the forum should just allows insults of everyone's partners then please start insulting the mods partners as clearly that should be okay (am sure they will all be very happy to have their wives read posts about being "maids").

And you will open another can of worms by deleting these things. Where will it end? What will be acceptable and not acceptable? Who will decide and regulate the name calling? Are you willing to offer yourself as the judge, jury and executioner for all complaints of name calling? Who will oversee your decisions? Is there enough hours in a day to even begin?
It's the internet, many brutish keyboard warriors on these very webs, many of us have been their victims.
Deleting shouldn't be done.  The posts are vile and inappropriate. However, deleting is a rabbit hole we should go into. 
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2015, 05:04:51 PM

Deleting shouldn't be done.  The posts are vile and inappropriate. However, deleting is a rabbit hole we should go into. 

Again - "tell that to my wife".

(it doesn't work)

Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2884
Merit: 2327

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 05:07:03 PM

Sure - why don't you PM him?

Sent.
CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 05:08:21 PM

Just read about him!
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=583286.msg6406604#msg6406604

I really think Multi-sig should be encouraged for all forum btc.

The main problem is it's hard to find trustworthy treasurers, currently theymos still holds most of the BTC.
I think there's plenty of trustworthy treasurers available.  Theymos has a list.
Don't forget that time lock tx can be used as well so that funds are not inaccessible forever even if a person is missing from multisig group.  The forum should use protocol features that were designed to solve such problems.
CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 05:09:32 PM

Again - "tell that to my wife".

(it doesn't work)

Rule #1 should be followed
escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 05:10:35 PM

I thought this was not the case with 2-of-3 multisig transactions?

Lips sealed You are Right, I forgot about that.  I just remembered seeing theymos's comment about multisig somewhere in 2013.
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2015, 05:13:40 PM

I gather that I have "used up all my points" to defend my wife and should move the BTC back to @theymos.

Please give me some time to first get back my offline PC and then do this (once he has given me an address to send to).

It is sad that bitcointalk.org has become like this when it was actually so nice years ago but I guess that is just the way things are now.

BitBlitz

Activity: 285
Merit: 250

Turning money into heat since 2011.

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 05:15:09 PM

+1 for having CIYAM send the coins to Theymos, as he has proven that the coins could be jeopardized by his/family member's opinion of forum posts. 

Seriouscoin was definitely being an asshole, but it is not the moderators job to keep everything nice and rated G.  Demanding removal of posts to return coins owned by the forum requires a truly special level of being an asshole.

I see the value of Bitcoin, so I don't worry about the price...
Panthers52

Activity: 675
Merit: 502

#SuperBowl50 #NFCchamps

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2015, 05:24:12 PM

I have seen this person complain about the moderation several times before. He even threatened to no longer provide his service of holding bitcoin for the forum unless changes were made. It seems that threat did not work and has resorted to more extreme threats to get what he wants.

PGP 827D2A60

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2015, 05:25:32 PM

I have seen this person complain about the moderation several times before. He even threatened to no longer provide his service of holding bitcoin for the forum unless changes were made. It seems that threat did not work and has resorted to more extreme threats to get what he wants.

And your proof is?

DiamondCardz
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1112

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2015, 05:27:01 PM

I gather that I have "used up all my points" to defend my wife and should move the BTC back to @theymos.

Please give me some time to first get back my offline PC and then do this (once he has given me an address to send to).

It is sad that bitcointalk.org has become like this when it was actually so nice years ago but I guess that is just the way things are now.

It isn't sad, it's just how it should be. If you were truly unable to have been able to retrieve the coins of your own accord when this happened (or still are, as you seem to not have the offline PC) then there should now be a higher level of risk associated with you holding BTC as a treasurer, because there is a risk you could be unable to access the coins permanently or at the time they are recalled.

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2015, 05:29:00 PM

As I already stated - once I regain control of my offline PC I'll send the BTC to @theymos when he gives me an address to do so.

Is that so hard to comprehend?

You can complain all you like about me being a treasurer "with a wife" as I guess you'd prefer all treasurers should have no wife (maybe @theymos should have stated that you are not allowed to be married to be a "treasurer" for this forum).

erikalui
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 1094

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2015, 05:32:09 PM

It's surprising that when one threatens the MODs, they delete the posts which are offensive else other offensive posts aren't delete. What hypocrisy? I thought all members are treated equally here but no, it's only a place where people can threaten and get their work done.

CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2015, 05:33:54 PM

It's surprising that when one threatens the MODs, they delete the posts which are offensive else other offensive posts aren't delete. What hypocrisy? I thought all members are treated equally here but no, it's only a place where people can threaten and get their work done.

It is indeed sad that the moderation on bitcointalk.org sucks so badly.

Panthers52

Activity: 675
Merit: 502

#SuperBowl50 #NFCchamps

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2015, 05:34:37 PM

And your proof is?

Also I disable viewing of signatures so I do not notice them as much  Tongue

As has been pointed out *many, many* times already it is the shit posts not the ads themselves that are the main issue.

Note that only the ad sig posters (such as the one I've quoted) ignore this *time and time again* and keep trying to tell everyone they should disable the sigs when they know full well what the problem is.

Stop with the bullshit please.

Personally I am almost done with this forum - so if they are going to allow the same rubbish on the new forum then @theymos please send me an address to return the 50 BTC I am minding for this forum (I'll send a GPG request for this in the next few weeks I guess).

This is where you posted that you asked to no longer hold BTC for the forum, you were complaining about the signature spam throughout the forum. You have complained about the moderation, or the lack thereof of users with advertisements many times, which is ironic because you yourself are advertising your services in your signature which gets additional exposure with every post you make.

It should be pretty clear that this was a sad extortion attempt to get posts deleted that you did not like. What is even more sad is that someone seems to have complied with your demands.

PGP 827D2A60

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2015, 05:38:02 PM

It should be pretty clear that this was a sad extortion attempt to get posts deleted that you did not like. What is even more sad is that someone seems to have complied with your demands.

You must think that you are a "genius" so congratulations on your incredible research.

If getting ridiculously nasty posts removed is somehow a "bad thing" then for sure I am guilty.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: