Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:24:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to decrypt protkey from vanitygen  (Read 2806 times)
oldschool (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 08:21:25 PM

So I have a big noob question....

Say I want to make a vanity address with wtf and I decide I want to be a little more secure when I do this so I have the program encrypt the privatekey with the ultra secure password 'wtf' and it finds my new cool vanity address and outputs like this:

Pattern: 1wtf
Address: 1WtFgLCoA56syuVLbvzCNzooTrKEpqyA8
Protkey: PsRUGbymw545hfYUAg5v8uNuVcxwtXWg646JkZ7nSm1dDRvHk5rTd8HrQv452ctz6fP2

Now how do I import that into a wallet?  I know my password is 'wtf' but none of the wallets online or desktop seem to ask me for it when I put in the protected key, they just error out?  How do I take my password and turn the protkey into privkey?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
oldschool (OP)

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 08:48:08 PM

Did I post this on the wrong board?
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 09:06:03 PM

Say I want to make a vanity address with wtf and I decide I want to be a little more secure when I do this so I have the program encrypt the privatekey with the ultra secure password 'wtf' and it finds my new cool vanity address and outputs like this:

You are confusing some terms.

The private key determines the Bitcoin address.    From your private key (PsRUGbymw545hfYUAg5v8uNuVcxwtXWg646JkZ7nSm1dDRvHk5rTd8HrQv452ctz6fP2), software can determine what the resulting Bitcoin address is (1WtFgLCoA56syuVLbvzCNzooTrKEpqyA8).

But your address is not "private" or "secure" .. it is what is you give out to others to send bitcoins to you.  It is not kept secret.

Now how do I import that into a wallet?

If you are using the Bitcoin.org client:
 - http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Importprivkey  (Need to configure bitcoin.conf with RPCUser, password, and run bitcoind.)

If you are using a hybrid EWallet, like Blockchain.info/wallet:
Import /  Export -->  Import Private Key

I know my password is 'wtf' but none of the wallets online or desktop seem to ask me for it when I put in the protected key, they just error out?  How do I take my password and turn the protkey into privkey?

They don't need to ask you, the Bitcoin address can be determined once the Private Key is known.

Just to make sure this is clear ... now that you've revealed that specific private key publicly, don't import it as someone else surely has added it to their Mt. Gox account by now which will quickly sweep any funds sent to it to that users's Mt. Gox account.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

oldschool (OP)

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 09:13:05 PM

You are confusing some terms.

The private key determines the Bitcoin address.    From your private key (PsRUGbymw545hfYUAg5v8uNuVcxwtXWg646JkZ7nSm1dDRvHk5rTd8HrQv452ctz6fP2), software can determine what the resulting Bitcoin address is (1WtFgLCoA56syuVLbvzCNzooTrKEpqyA8).

But your address is not "private" or "secure" .. it is what is you give out to others to send bitcoins to you.  It is not kept secret.

Now how do I import that into a wallet?

If you are using the Bitcoin.org client:
 - http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Importprivkey  (Need to configure bitcoin.conf with RPCUser, password, and run bitcoind.)

If you are using a hybrid EWallet, like Blockchain.info/wallet:
Import /  Export -->  Import

I know my password is 'wtf' but none of the wallets online or desktop seem to ask me for it when I put in the protected key, they just error out?  How do I take my password and turn the protkey into privkey?

They don't need to ask you, the Bitcoin address can be determined once the Private Key is known.

Just to make sure this is clear ... now that you've revealed that specific private key publicly, don't import it as someone else surely has added it to their Mt. Gox account by now which will quickly sweep any funds sent to it to that users's Mt. Gox account.

I meant more secure as in the privkey is encrypted by the vanity program when I generate it, so I am not storing a copy of the privkey anywhere, I am storing the protkey which is an encrypted version of the privkey and needs the password 'wtf' in order to change that back into a privkey.

Sorry if my post was confusing, the PsRUGbymw545hfYUAg5v8uNuVcxwtXWg646JkZ7nSm1dDRvHk5rTd8HrQv452ctz6fP2 isn't a private key, its an encrypted private key while using the vanitygen program.  I assumed this was the same as when you encrypt wallets or something and the wallet programs would let you put a protkey in, prompt for password and then save the privkey, but this doesn't appear that way.
oldschool (OP)

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 09:14:58 PM

how do you get the privkey from the passphrase 'wtf' and PsRUGbymw545hfYUAg5v8uNuVcxwtXWg646JkZ7nSm1dDRvHk5rTd8HrQv452ctz6fP2 ?
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 10:01:25 PM

I assumed this was the same as when you encrypt wallets or something and the wallet programs would let you put a protkey in, prompt for password and then save the privkey, but this doesn't appear that way.

I see.

None of the wallets are using that encryption method, as far as I know.

Here's a gist with a javascript decoder for that (I think, I've never used it nor have I reviewed it):

- https://gist.github.com/1139867

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

oldschool (OP)

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 10:02:36 PM

Ok, I've been able to find the answer on my own.... If anyone else if having the same problem I hope my thread will assist them in finding the answer!

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=36195.0

has a link to:

http://insight.gotdns.org/~samr7/pkprotect.html

and some information in both that thread and the source code which could be run locally on a computer not connected to the net
oldschool (OP)

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 10:03:24 PM

I assumed this was the same as when you encrypt wallets or something and the wallet programs would let you put a protkey in, prompt for password and then save the privkey, but this doesn't appear that way.

I see.

None of the wallets are using that encryption method, as far as I know.

Here's a gist with a javascript decoder for that (I think, I've never used it nor have I reviewed it):

- https://gist.github.com/1139867

Thanks!  I'll have to take a look at that one also!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: