Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 07:05:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I used to Receive on BTC-E, then decided to download Bitcoin Core  (Read 2160 times)
EMINeMxShOw (OP)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 01:01:53 AM

Hello Guys,

I used to receive on BTC-E,
Then downloaded Bitcoin Core..
While it was Syncing I pressed on receive money and copied the Address then sent a payment from my BTC-E as i wanted to transfer everything to the Bitcoin Core and start using (Paying/Receiving) from it without using BTC-E website..

But after it used 35GB of storage it asked for more BUT i don't have more storage, until that time it was Saying 45 Weeks later, BUT nothing from the money i transferred was reached to it... so i uninstalled it.

And now I'm back to use BTC-E BUT the money i sent is gone....

Where are they and how i can find them?
Any help or suggestion will be highly appreciated AND bTw isn't that money but it's @ the end ( Money ) =)

Thanks for Reading.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
lemipawa
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 01:18:20 AM

Bitcoin Core was still syncing. If you look up the address on blockchain.info, you should see that it has had Bitcoin sent to it. You won't see the Bitcoin in your wallet until the client finishes syncing. The blockchain is almost 40 GB of data, so you will need a larger hard drive if it says that it needs more storage at only 35 GB. The 45 weeks thing means that your wallet's latest block is from 45 weeks ago.

If you don't want to use Bitcoin core, you can export the private key to your address and import that into another wallet. You will be able to spend the Bitcoin from there.
EMINeMxShOw (OP)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 01:27:57 AM

Bitcoin Core was still syncing. If you look up the address on blockchain.info, you should see that it has had Bitcoin sent to it. You won't see the Bitcoin in your wallet until the client finishes syncing. The blockchain is almost 40 GB of data, so you will need a larger hard drive if it says that it needs more storage at only 35 GB. The 45 weeks thing means that your wallet's latest block is from 45 weeks ago.

If you don't want to use Bitcoin core, you can export the private key to your address and import that into another wallet. You will be able to spend the Bitcoin from there.

Ok would you please tell me how to export the private key to my address?
I really need that which better than to get a drive and install again the program wait syncing ... etc :3
lemipawa
Legendary

Activity: 1708

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 01:35:34 AM

Ok would you please tell me how to export the private key to my address?
I really need that which better than to get a drive and install again the program wait syncing ... etc :3
Open up Bitcoin Core, and click Help > debug window.
Open the console tab.
Type
Code:
dumpprivkey <Your Bitcoin Address>
with <Your Bitcoin Address> being the address you received the Bitcoin with.
Copy the string and go to whatever wallet you want and import it there. I recommend using Multibit.

If your wallet has a password, before typing "dumpprivkey", type this:
Code:
walletpassphrase <Your wallet passphrase> 600
where <Your wallet passphrase> is the passphrase to unlock your wallet. You will have 600 seconds to complete "dumpprivkey"
After you are done, type
Code:
walletlock
ragi

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 11, 2015, 06:44:29 AM

Why did you choose yo use this wallet? With Electrum you start right away, without downloading the whole blockchain.

no.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
June 11, 2015, 01:42:38 PM

How exactly did you "uninstall" Bitcoin Core?

If you deleted the wallet.dat file and you don't have a backup and can't recover the deleted file, then the bitcoins are gone forever.

If you still have a copy of the wallet.dat file, or if you can recover the deleted file, then you'll still be able to recover the bitcoins.
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2015, 01:44:14 PM

Hello Guys,

While it was Syncing I pressed on receive money and copied the Address then sent a payment from my BTC-E as i wanted to transfer everything to the Bitcoin Core and start using (Paying/Receiving) from it without using BTC-E website..

But after it used 35GB of storage it asked for more BUT i don't have more storage, until that time it was Saying 45 Weeks later, BUT nothing from the money i transferred was reached to it... so i uninstalled it.

Any help or suggestion will be highly appreciated AND bTw isn't that money but it's @ the end ( Money ) =)

Thanks for Reading.
The part I bolded is what worries me.  Hopefully you (or the uninstaller program) did not delete the associated files, especially wallet.dat.  If you did, you have no way to recover that BTC.  It'll sit in that address taunting you.

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
goosoodude

Activity: 584

View Profile
June 11, 2015, 01:48:15 PM

If you deleted the wallet.dat file and you don't have a backup and can't recover the deleted file, then the bitcoins are gone forever.

If you still have a copy of the wallet.dat file, or if you can recover the deleted file, then you'll still be able to recover the bitcoins.

To what extent is that statement true? I don't think that deleting files through software is considered permanent deletion.

Aside of that, I believe that uninstalling bitcoin core leaves wallet.dat in pace.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2015, 03:10:34 PM

To what extent is that statement true? I don't think that deleting files through software is considered permanent deletion.

Huh

Aside of that, I believe that uninstalling bitcoin core leaves wallet.dat in pace.

That's why, this question:

Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1001

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
June 11, 2015, 04:31:37 PM

Huh

I think he's referring to the way most OSs "delete" files. It's marked as "deleted", but "still there". At least as long as the OS doesn't overwrite that sector. File recovery software might help with that.

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
goosoodude

Activity: 584

View Profile
June 11, 2015, 10:22:25 PM

What I'm trying to say is that deleting files in no good way to permanently erase data from a hard drive. It's not necessarily OS specific too. Probably I didn't phrase that correctly, I guess I could provide some examples so people can understand what I'm talking about easily.

Deleted files can be recovered:
http://www.howtogeek.com/125521/htg-explains-why-deleted-files-can-be-recovered-and-how-you-can-prevent-it/

Google trashes hard drives if they want to permanently delete data:
https://youtu.be/XZmGGAbHqa0?t=223

Securely erasing data from a hard drive would involve overwriting:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/261702/how_to_securely_erase_your_hard_drive.html

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

Amitabh S
Legendary

Activity: 1001

View Profile
June 14, 2015, 06:40:11 AM

35GB!! wtf! Last time I had it, it was about 5gb and that was a pain so I stopped using a full node.
OP, you should have seriously taken some advise before using any wallet.

Coming back to the point, as far as I know uninstall does not remove wallet.dat
So its going to be there somewhere. Take advise from some trusted member (DannyHamilton) in recovering the keys from the file.
If the file is there, the coins are there. Just make sure you do not do anything more on the computer before recovering the keys.

Coinsecure referral ID: https://coinsecure.in/signup/refamit (use this link to signup)
xmaxbit

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 06:45:37 PM

Deleting files and recovering it solely depends upon what you are doing after a deletion . For example , if you are pasting any file in a folder where a file was deleted then you must be sure that the file that got deleted would be overwritten and the file that would be recovered will be any other file . I recommend blockchain always and I am using it .
bitnanigans

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 08:36:55 PM

Hello Guys,

Thanks for Reading.

Check if the wallet.dat still exists in your user data folder. If it does, you'll need to make use of the core client to export and import it to a different wallet.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: