Bitcoin Forum
July 11, 2024, 01:58:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Feds plot course to resume NSA spying  (Read 617 times)
Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 05:46:37 AM

The National Security Agency (NSA) is taking steps to turn its massive collection of Americans’ phone records back on.

After President Obama signed legislation last week to end the controversial program, the Justice Department submitted a legal memorandum to the secretive federal court justifying authorization for the NSA collection for another six months, as the new law allows.

“[T]he government respectfully submits that it may seek and this court may issue an order for the bulk production of tangible things” under the law, “as it did in ... prior related dockets,” the Justice Department said in its memo.

The legal analysis was submitted on Tuesday, less than an hour after the White House announced that the president had signed the USA Freedom Act into law. The memo was not revealed to the public until Monday.

Until the passage of the USA Freedom Act last week, the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court (FISC) routinely granted the NSA the ability to collect "metadata" about millions of Americans’ phone calls, including the numbers people dial and the length of their calls, but not their actual conversations.

Passage of the USA Freedom Act ended the metadata program, and creates a new system that forces the NSA to get a narrower set of records from private phone companies. But the law gives the agency six months to transition to the new system.

In its new filing, the Obama administration said that it should be allowed to continue the program for those extra six months, even after a top federal court ruled earlier this year that the program was illegal.

More...http://thehill.com/policy/national-security/244307-feds-prepare-to-turn-nsa-program-back-on
catch.me.if.you.can

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 07:40:59 AM

NSA can't spy on me! I use netsukuku! lol
pureelite

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 03:32:04 PM

The National Security Agency (NSA) is taking steps to turn its massive collection of Americans’ phone records back on.

After President Obama signed legislation last week to end the controversial program, the Justice Department submitted a legal memorandum to the secretive federal court justifying authorization for the NSA collection for another six months, as the new law allows.

“[T]he government respectfully submits that it may seek and this court may issue an order for the bulk production of tangible things” under the law, “as it did in ... prior related dockets,” the Justice Department said in its memo.

The legal analysis was submitted on Tuesday, less than an hour after the White House announced that the president had signed the USA Freedom Act into law. The memo was not revealed to the public until Monday.

Until the passage of the USA Freedom Act last week, the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court (FISC) routinely granted the NSA the ability to collect "metadata" about millions of Americans’ phone calls, including the numbers people dial and the length of their calls, but not their actual conversations.

Passage of the USA Freedom Act ended the metadata program, and creates a new system that forces the NSA to get a narrower set of records from private phone companies. But the law gives the agency six months to transition to the new system.

In its new filing, the Obama administration said that it should be allowed to continue the program for those extra six months, even after a top federal court ruled earlier this year that the program was illegal.

More...http://thehill.com/policy/national-security/244307-feds-prepare-to-turn-nsa-program-back-on

There is definetly no more freedom on the internet. Headlines like this have become an often occurence, so we must understand that we are being watched all the time.
Marbit

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 04:34:11 PM

We have all become slaves of internet. Already our personal information, credentials and everything are on internet. Eventually, it is with governments and governments controls the internet world.
brendanjhwu

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 18, 2015, 03:16:49 AM

1. Change your phone to the latest android (new encryption embedded, makes it impossible for feds to find you out)
2. Move to Canada eh?
AccountStore.biz

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 18, 2015, 10:28:52 AM

1. Change your phone to the latest android (new encryption embedded, makes it impossible for feds to find you out)
2. Move to Canada eh?

Moving to Canada would only make things worse. The NSA claim they can legally spy on any non-US citizen they want whenever they want as they are not protected by the 4th amendment. So you'd be giving up the only legal protection you have against them, and lets not forget they have most of their surveillance equipment overseas.
Mehek

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 22, 2015, 01:00:11 PM

2. Move to Canada eh?

Nice move by android to offer encryption embed. I do not trust apple at all, because I have already had privacy issues with it. The fappening comes out as another surprise about I could security. And the last person I could trust are other Chinese manufacturers. They care about the money and they would sell their soul for it.
Will.i.am Shakespeare

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 22, 2015, 01:10:41 PM

If they deemed it illegal then are the NSA going to face legal action? It's not ok for Snowden to steal evidence of wrongdoing but it's ok for the NSA to hack pretty much half the world and innocent people? They'll get around this decision for sure and their data collection will never stop it'll just get more secret.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2015, 01:55:34 PM

Here we go again. Is there ever going to be an end to the spying from NSA?
I'm pretty sure that we are never going to get to a age in where there is no spying. Although we do have to try and work against it. Only a few applications have real encryption.

2. Move to Canada eh?
Doesn't that slow down you phone? I remember that the Nexus 6 was really sluggish after enabling encryption. Hopefully this was solved.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: