Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 03:26:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What titles can we use without getting into trouble with the law?  (Read 1050 times)
WhatTheGox (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 01:01:10 PM

What titles can we use without getting into trouble with the law? Thinking i might make myself a Doctor and have Dr. in title -  Im a doctor of internetology imo. Also i wouldnt mind being a king but living in the UK im pretty sure thats a no go.

I went to university and felt i've learnt about 10x the amount on the internet vs uni, thinking i deserve to be a doctor of information searching.  Perhaps a Professor Prof. hmmm.
Okurkabinladin

Activity: 574
Merit: 506

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 08:51:02 PM

You can put in De. before your name. Like in "douche". Never understood people, who are obssesed with titles before actual knowledge (academy) or feats (aristocracy), that would give some meaning to them. Without either of those, it is nothing more, than a self given nick name.
saddampbuh
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1014

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 09:04:57 PM

peace be upon him or kim jong il's disciple sound pretty cool

Be radical, have principles, be absolute, be that which the bourgeoisie calls an extremist: give yourself without counting or calculating, don't accept what they call ‘the reality of life' and act in such a way that you won't be accepted by that kind of ‘life', never abandon the principle of struggle.
chmod755
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1021

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2015, 09:38:33 PM

A guy in Austria had to pay €0.10 because he used a royal title on his business cards - the max fine is €0.14 because the law that bans royals was written in 1914 and we had some inflation during the last 100 years

WhatTheGox (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2015, 08:03:03 AM

Never understood people, who are obssesed with titles before actual knowledge (academy) or feats (aristocracy), that would give some meaning to them. Without either of those, it is nothing more, than a self given nick name.

I agree the titles are silly but if you go by the name of professor or doctor etc you will get more instant respect from the mainstream morons who believe that people using them somehow deserve greater respect by default.

I dont see why titles should be offered out by some central authority either, monopolies suck usually.  Like i said i feel im way more qualified from what i've learnt on the internet then if i had studied a PhD.  
defaced
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1011

Franko is Freedom

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2015, 11:35:19 AM

if game of thrones has taught me anything its that anyone can proclaim themselves king, the hard part is making everyone else believe it to.

Fortune Favors the Brave
Borderless CharityEXPANSEEXRAllergy FinderFranko Is Freedom
WhatTheGox (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2015, 06:27:05 PM

if game of thrones has taught me anything its that anyone can proclaim themselves king, the hard part is making everyone else believe it to.

Yeah thats true that and gives me an idea for a name/title:

Satoshi Mineborn of House Nakamoto, the First of His Name, the Unhacked, King of Bitcointalk, King of the r/bitcoin and the BTC-e Troll Box, Khal of Silk Road's Great Grass, Preserver of Blockchains, and Father of Bitcoin.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
June 10, 2015, 06:49:51 PM

This article is a little old but it seems you can call yourself a Doctor as long you don't attempt to practice.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2006/apr/22/badscience.uknews

Nothing about Doctor here either. Maybe it's too general a term.

http://www.hpc-uk.org/aboutregistration/protectedtitles/

An American friend awarded herself an MBE when I explained what they are. Hers stands for Most Best Ever.

You may as well buy one of those patches of Scottish bog that allows you to call yourself a Baron. They're only a few quid.

Or you could go the other way and head out into the galaxy and proclaim yourself the Imperial Prince-O-tron of the Horsehead Nebula. If the real one shows up you'd look like a dick but that would be the least of your problems anyway.
Mikestang
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
June 10, 2015, 09:18:34 PM

Many professions around the world are "title protected", meaning you cannot simply assume the title and use it professionally.  I'm pretty sure anyone can call themselves anything they want in private, but if you use that title professionally then you can get in trouble.

For UK, try here to start: https://www.naric.org.uk/uk%20ncp/individuals/Regulated%20professional%20titles%20and%20designatory%20letters.aspx
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
June 10, 2015, 09:30:18 PM

You may be a doctor in achumzeenabullgetvastic. As nobody knows what that is since that doesn't exist, nobody can complain that you're trying to fool anyone. Now, I'm afraid a title of Dr in achumzeenabullgetvastic may not help you much achieve anything.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
zoidberg.eu

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2015, 08:02:28 AM

Be careful. Doctors are usually very poor.
In addition to my medical degree (which I unfortunatelly lost in a volcano) I've doctorate in art history and  mail-ordered murderology and murderonomy degree. But I still cannot afford shoes and I have to eat garbage.
WhatTheGox (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2015, 01:40:37 PM

Be careful. Doctors are usually very poor.
In addition to my medical degree (which I unfortunatelly lost in a volcano) I've doctorate in art history and  mail-ordered murderology and murderonomy degree. But I still cannot afford shoes and I have to eat garbage.

lol how unfortunate. Think ive decided on going with Professor anyway. Not going to jump right into it but yeah... i dont see why the fuck not, will be funny to confuse people as im not sure i particularly look old enough for professor status yet.
Lorenzo

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 12, 2015, 07:37:37 AM

What titles can we use without getting into trouble with the law? Thinking i might make myself a Doctor and have Dr. in title -  Im a doctor of internetology imo. Also i wouldnt mind being a king but living in the UK im pretty sure thats a no go.

I went to university and felt i've learnt about 10x the amount on the internet vs uni, thinking i deserve to be a doctor of information searching.  Perhaps a Professor Prof. hmmm.

You can get an honorary doctorate from the Universal Life Church. There is no official body which accredits religious degrees and the Doctor of Divinity degree is usually granted as an honorary degree anyway:

http://www.ulc.net/index.php?cat=17&page=shop

There are multiple churches that call themselves the Universal Life Church. Here's another one which also offers "degrees":

http://www.themonastery.org/catalog/-c-28.html

Wikipedia article:

In the United States, Doctor of Divinity is traditionally an honorary degree granted by a church-related college, seminary, or university to recognize the recipient's ministry-orientated accomplishments.

As most American universities do not confer higher doctorates, the degree is generally conferred honoris causa. For example, Martin Luther King (who received a Ph.D in systematic theology from Boston University in 1955) subsequently received honorary Doctor of Divinity degrees from the Chicago Theological Seminary (1957), Boston University (1959), Wesleyan College (1964), and Springfield College (1964). Billy Graham (who has received honorary Doctor of Divinity degrees from The King's College and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill) is regularly addressed as "Dr. Graham", though his highest earned degree is a B.A. in anthropology from Wheaton College.

Under federal law, a 1974 judgement accepted expert opinion that an "Honorary Doctor of Divinity is a strictly religious title with no academic standing. Such titles may be issued by bona fide churches and religious denominations, such as plaintiff (Universal Life Church), so long as their issuance is limited to a course of instruction in the principles of the church or religious denomination".

Similarly, under the California Education Code, "an institution owned, controlled, and operated and maintained by a religious organization lawfully operating as a nonprofit religious corporation pursuant to Part 4 (commencing with Section 9110) of Division 2 of Title 1 of the Corporations Code" that offers "instruction... limited to the principles of that religious organization, or to courses offered pursuant to Section 2789 of Business and Professions Code" may confer "degrees and diplomas only in the beliefs and practices of the church, religious denomination, or religious organization" so long as "the diploma or degree is limited to evidence of completion of that education"; institutions "shall not award degrees in any area of physical science", while "any degree or diploma granted under this subdivision shall contain on its face... a reference to the theological or religious aspect of the degree's subject area... a degree awarded under this subdivision shall reflect the nature of the degree title, such as 'associate of religious studies,' 'bachelor of religious studies,' 'master of divinity,' or 'doctor of divinity.'"

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_of_Divinity
Marbit

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 13, 2015, 01:40:19 PM

A guy in Austria had to pay €0.10 because he used a royal title on his business cards - the max fine is €0.14 because the law that bans royals was written in 1914 and we had some inflation during the last 100 years

That doesn't sound like a hefty fine Smiley His Highness Marbit sounds cool Smiley Just be careful that some country have different rules, some place they could give you harsher fine.
Okurkabinladin

Activity: 574
Merit: 506

View Profile
June 13, 2015, 03:06:54 PM

Never understood people, who are obssesed with titles before actual knowledge (academy) or feats (aristocracy), that would give some meaning to them. Without either of those, it is nothing more, than a self given nick name.

I agree the titles are silly but if you go by the name of professor or doctor etc you will get more instant respect from the mainstream morons who believe that people using them somehow deserve greater respect by default.

I dont see why titles should be offered out by some central authority either, monopolies suck usually.  Like i said i feel im way more qualified from what i've learnt on the internet then if i had studied a PhD.  

Everything you wrote is perfectly valid, Gox. So your solution would be to ban academic titles?  Wink PhD. are to my knowledge already pretty useless due to basic fact, that virtually anybody can reach this title, in my country (Czech republic), we also have peculiar title "inženýr" meaning literally "engineer", yeah that is official, academic title in my euro country, equivalent to magister (but in technology oriented academies). And you know what is best? With all those local titles (euros are quite obssesed about them) you can take out trash in US or Russia just as good as without them, since neither Russia nor anglo countries recognize these "titles". You still have to prove, that you can back up your BS nickname with actual knowledge and rightfully so.
Wilikon
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
June 13, 2015, 03:31:16 PM

I went to university and felt i've learnt about 10x the amount on the internet vs uni, thinking i deserve to be a doctor of information searching.  Perhaps a Professor Prof. hmmm.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: