Bitcoin Forum
August 04, 2024, 12:22:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Problem with Antminer S5 - boots up and sounds alarm after a few minutes.  (Read 953 times)
MarkAz (OP)

Activity: 687
Merit: 511

View Profile
June 10, 2015, 01:36:56 AM

Hi everyone, I have a bunch of S5's already, but I just bought a new one that it having an issue - when I boot it up, it looks like it's starting up like normal, and after about the 1-1.5min startup period, it starts making the alarm sound (solid tone), and the two LED's on the front blink on and off slowly.  I've tried holding in the reset button to flash back to the factory settings, but it doesn't seem to affect it (it just continues it's solid beep).  Any ideas?  Thanks!
MarkAz (OP)

View Profile
June 10, 2015, 05:02:49 AM

After swapping the power supply and replugging in the cables a third time, it seems to be working fine...
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 10, 2015, 05:05:16 AM

After swapping the power supply and replugging in the cables a third time, it seems to be working fine...

Glad it's working now.   What model is the PSU that didn't work?   And what is one that did work?

Happy Mining.
Bananana

Activity: 481
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2015, 04:44:57 PM

Gave me the feeling that your place is too hot and your power supply get heated up after awhile and fail to power your antminer S5.

MarkAz (OP)

View Profile
June 10, 2015, 07:15:41 PM

They're exactly the same power supply, the Corsair CX750M... Although I only use these generally to configure them, then they move onto the IBM 2880W server supplies...  So no idea why there would be a difference, but I figured might as well swap everything.  And interestingly, I just swapped the powersupply with an S5 right next to it, and the other one worked fine on the same supply - so reseating the cables might have been more effective.

One somewhat troubling thing though I noticed - it's hashing fine, and nothing else seems out of the ordinary, but on the LED's on the front, typically when it boots that red LED stays solid for a couple seconds, then the green one starts flashing like once every 5 seconds indicating that everything is working as expected.  I have a bunch of other S5's, and they all work exactly like that - but this one, the red and green LED's are solidly lit, and never flash - has anyone seen this before?

As far as ambient temperature, it's about 78f, so well within working, and I another S5 right next to it where I do testing stuff.  The power supply I hooked it up to originally didn't have anything plugged into it - just basically waiting for something to do, so it was totally cold.

The only thing of note is that one of the blades runs abnormally hot - as I said, I have another machine right next to it, and with those 4 blades, 3 of them are at ~60c, but the 4th is at 76c... So maybe there's something up with the heat sink in terms of needing to be cleaned and new thermal paste applied?

For now it's at least working and I'll update if I spot any other strange behavior from it...
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2015, 12:29:53 AM
Last edit: June 11, 2015, 01:18:41 AM by notlist3d

They're exactly the same power supply, the Corsair CX750M... Although I only use these generally to configure them, then they move onto the IBM 2880W server supplies...  So no idea why there would be a difference, but I figured might as well swap everything.  And interestingly, I just swapped the powersupply with an S5 right next to it, and the other one worked fine on the same supply - so reseating the cables might have been more effective.

One somewhat troubling thing though I noticed - it's hashing fine, and nothing else seems out of the ordinary, but on the LED's on the front, typically when it boots that red LED stays solid for a couple seconds, then the green one starts flashing like once every 5 seconds indicating that everything is working as expected.  I have a bunch of other S5's, and they all work exactly like that - but this one, the red and green LED's are solidly lit, and never flash - has anyone seen this before?

As far as ambient temperature, it's about 78f, so well within working, and I another S5 right next to it where I do testing stuff.  The power supply I hooked it up to originally didn't have anything plugged into it - just basically waiting for something to do, so it was totally cold.

The only thing of note is that one of the blades runs abnormally hot - as I said, I have another machine right next to it, and with those 4 blades, 3 of them are at ~60c, but the 4th is at 76c... So maybe there's something up with the heat sink in terms of needing to be cleaned and new thermal paste applied?

For now it's at least working and I'll update if I spot any other strange behavior from it...

If the one is truly running at 76c that is a bit hot.   Does it's status look good as far as chips on it?  Is it higher up or anything that is getting air from first machine pushed twords it?

If the status looks good I would send in a ticket to Bitmain support asking permission to redo thermal paste. (I have you ask as if in first 90 day's I don't want you to lose warranty)
anamichii

Activity: 287
Merit: 250

Global economic crisis? i hold my bitcoin..

View Profile
June 11, 2015, 01:11:56 AM

wow 76 celcius? its very hot, close to 80c / max degree.
how about your environtment temp?
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2015, 01:22:34 AM

wow 76 celcius? its very hot, close to 80c / max degree.
how about your environtment temp?

He mentioned  "it's about 78f" so that is around 25.5 C I believe.  Sounds like it is isolated to one blade so far.

But yes that is not far away from hitting 80, which is not good.
MarkAz (OP)

View Profile
June 11, 2015, 03:07:17 AM

Yeah, I know it's close to it's thermal threshold - originally nothing seemed out of the ordinary except for the LED's, it wasn't until I had it in my miner monitoring software that I saw the different temps vs all the other miners.  I actually was interested in seeing if it would thermal out, but over the course of an hour it remained there, so I just shut it down and added a second fan for push/pull, now it's under 70c.

I picked it up used - and I could return it I if I felt like it, but I probably won't - I'll probably just make this one a guinea pig for some of the custom case stuff I'm working on.  I'll definitely redo the thermal paste as well...

But all those things were of lesser interest to me - it's the LED's I'm wondering about - what exactly is that supposed to indicate, and has anyone ever seen that before.  I have a bunch of S5's, and none of their LED's are like this...
aarons6
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

View Profile
June 12, 2015, 08:01:52 AM

Yeah, I know it's close to it's thermal threshold - originally nothing seemed out of the ordinary except for the LED's, it wasn't until I had it in my miner monitoring software that I saw the different temps vs all the other miners.  I actually was interested in seeing if it would thermal out, but over the course of an hour it remained there, so I just shut it down and added a second fan for push/pull, now it's under 70c.

I picked it up used - and I could return it I if I felt like it, but I probably won't - I'll probably just make this one a guinea pig for some of the custom case stuff I'm working on.  I'll definitely redo the thermal paste as well...

But all those things were of lesser interest to me - it's the LED's I'm wondering about - what exactly is that supposed to indicate, and has anyone ever seen that before.  I have a bunch of S5's, and none of their LED's are like this...

you can touch the heatsink and feel if it really is hot.. also note the temp chip is on the BACK of the board.. so if its reading 78c the chip side is probably in the 90c+ range.. you would feel the heat from that no doubt. thats almost 200F

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
June 12, 2015, 08:47:08 AM

you can touch the heatsink and feel if it really is hot.. also note the temp chip is on the BACK of the board.. so if its reading 78c the chip side is probably in the 90c+ range.. you would feel the heat from that no doubt. thats almost 200F

I highly suggest not touching the heatsink to get a reading of how hot it is.  Even i in normal range your touching a hot item.

You can get  Infrared IR Temperature Guns for not a lot anymore get one of those if you want to judge heat.  Also with it you will be much more accurate then judging heat by touch.  And of course the bonus of not getting possibly burned
MarkAz (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2015, 02:41:52 PM

Don't forget, I have a calibrated thermal imager that I do my temperature measurements, so I'm not guessing or touching the heat sink.  Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: