Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 03:02:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [WTB] old usb or network miner for educating myself Europe  (Read 507 times)
altcoinhosting (OP)

Activity: 896
Merit: 1006

View Profile
June 11, 2015, 07:25:36 PM
Last edit: June 16, 2015, 06:51:08 AM by altcoinhosting

Since i'm new to the scene, i would like to buy some very cheap, second hand, mining equipment to play with... I don't really NEED any equipment (i'm not desperate), so i'm not willing to pay more than what the equipment is actually worth (i would prefer to do a good deal, even if i have to wait a little longer).

I'm well aware that the chances of getting ROI are very slim, but i don't really care. I just want to try out ASIC mining if i find good equipment for a good price. This is also the reason why i'm not looking for expensive equipment (i'm not looking to setup a big miningfarm)

I found a new antminer U3 on ebay for 70 euro's, but the downside is that it's a big USB miner. I need a PC running at all times to continue mining, but i can't mine at work (because it looks like an asic miner, and since i'm working as a sysadmin, i guess my collegues would know i'm doing something that's not work related).

I'm actually looking for:
- a (very cheap) usb miner that looks like a USBstick (so i can plug it into my workPC, which is running 24/7, and benefit from the free electricity to)
Edited: I won't mine at work, since i don't want to use my job, so all kinds of USB or ethernet miners that costs less than $50 (shipping and escrow included) are acceptable... USB miners, antminer U3's, butterly labs 10GS/s,...
or
- a (very cheap) miner with ethernet connection, so i can set it up at home, but i do not need to run a PC 24/7. The miner should be all-in (include PSU) and in full working condition

Does anybody have some old equipment laying around that is not being used anymore and he/she's willing to sell for cheap?

I would prefer to pay with paypal, since i'm new i don't really have a lot of BTC. If this is really an issue, i guess i can try to find a way to exchange my paypal fund to BTC.
I would also like to mention i don't need an escrow when i can pay with paypal, but i have no problems using one if the seller is requesting this. If i have to pay with BTC, we'll use an escrow without any discussion.

Last point: i'm living in western europe (think the netherlands), so i guess only people from europe will be interested, since shipping fees for non-EU countries would be to high to even make me an offer to sell old, cheap equipment...

ncsupanda
Legendary

Activity: 1628
Merit: 1012

View Profile
June 12, 2015, 02:04:08 AM

Make your sales with Bitcoin. I have a large number of units like this but I'm from NC so I can't really help you besides pointing someone here.

Please use escrow, especially as a new user.

Also, PayPal has zero value here due to charge backs. Good luck!
altcoinhosting (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2015, 05:28:47 AM

Thanks for the tips, to bad you don't live in the EU so i could buy some Hardware from you  Grin

My offer still stands: anybody wants to sell any unused asic miners that : either look like a regular usbstick, or have an ethernet interface so they don't need a PC running 24/7 to operate?

I'll look into transferring my paypal fund to BTC (does anybody know if the trick posted everywhere: using virwox to change PP to BTC still works?), and like ncsupanda suggested, i'll defenately use escrow!

altcoinhosting (OP)

View Profile
June 14, 2015, 07:48:03 PM

update: i've tranferred some of my cash from paypal to my bitcoin wallet trough virwox ($40 is transferred to $34 in BTC, and they take about 30 hours to clear your deposit).

I'm now able to offer some BTC for old material, in case somebody is willing to sell...

gdale

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 14, 2015, 07:59:31 PM

pm'ed
altcoinhosting (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 12:10:24 AM

Thanks  Grin

coinableS
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1179

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2015, 12:19:23 AM

Be careful I've read stories were people end up getting fired when they are caught using their employers computers for mining. There was one from last year, but I can't find the link, the person made a few hundred dollars in bitcoin, but lost his job and salary which is much more than a few hundred bucks.

http://www.businessinsider.com/researcher-bitcoin-supercomputers-2014-6
http://www.wired.com/2013/07/esea-2/

altcoinhosting (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 05:30:57 AM

Be careful I've read stories were people end up getting fired when they are caught using their employers computers for mining. There was one from last year, but I can't find the link, the person made a few hundred dollars in bitcoin, but lost his job and salary which is much more than a few hundred bucks.

http://www.businessinsider.com/researcher-bitcoin-supercomputers-2014-6
http://www.wired.com/2013/07/esea-2/

Thanks for the fair warning... My employer is rather permissive about these things, altough i might have to read up on our company's policys about this.

altcoinhosting (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 08:19:43 PM

The offer is still open,I got two fair offers from two US members, but the shipping costs + possible taxes were to high to make a deal. So i'm searching for an EU vendor, or an non-EU vendor that has access to cheap and reliable shipping methods.

I've decided to only mine at home, and maybe leave my server running for a while, so (almost) all old ASIC's that are currently included in my scope.

As long as:
- they are safe to run
- in complete working order (PSU, controller boards,... must be included if necessary for the rig to run)
- the price must be lower than 0.18BTC, shipping and escrow fees included (it's just to eductate myself, and i think about $50 is the maximum i'm willing to spend on that)

I can pay with BTC (escrow), wire transfer (you send first, i pay when receiving the HW) or paypal (i pay first). I'm pretty sure most people will use BTC since i'm a new member without any trust  Wink

altcoinhosting (OP)

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 06:53:19 AM

Edited the OP

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: