Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 10:27:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BTCjam 2 Factor Authentication issues.  (Read 614 times)
MrCrabs (OP)

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 12, 2015, 03:02:22 AM

Hi All,

I have been with BTCjam for some almost 2 years now. I have lent a small amount of Bitcoin through them. I do this because I love the idea of micro loans through Bitcoin. I have  just about broken even over the time. I'm not worried about that.

My issue is. I have 2 Factor Authentication enabled. I broke my phone. And more fool me lost My 2FA key to re enable it.

I still have login access to the site.

I emailed BTCjam and they want me to send a photo of me holding a photo ID for verification.

I feel this is unreasonable.

Are my feelings justified?

What is the best and secure way to resolve this issue?

I had the same problem with BTC-e. They resolved it by having a link to to unlocking 2FA and barring me from using the site for 2 weeks.

Thanks for your help.

MrC

SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2015, 01:25:54 PM

Hi All,

I have been with BTCjam for some almost 2 years now. I have lent a small amount of Bitcoin through them. I do this because I love the idea of micro loans through Bitcoin. I have  just about broken even over the time. I'm not worried about that.

My issue is. I have 2 Factor Authentication enabled. I broke my phone. And more fool me lost My 2FA key to re enable it.

I emailed BTCjam and they want me to send a photo of me holding a photo ID for verification.

I had the same problem with BTC-e. They resolved it by having a link to to unlocking 2FA and barring me from using the site for 2 weeks.

Thanks for your help.

MrC

Unreasonable? I dont think so. You could very well be a hacker who found the first way to log in. Now 2FA has to be broken.

Im a bit shocked that BTC-E sets back 2FA for everyone claiming to own an account, has the email hacked and can login. There are enough not so smart people that use the same password on email and websites.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
waterpile

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 12, 2015, 01:35:16 PM

Hi All,

Thanks for your help.

MrC

I think the only way to retrieve your 2FA is to do what they are suggesting.. presenting those ID's will surely prove that you're really the owner of the account. Please, understand that they're doing this for the protection of their clients..
jdebunt
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2015, 01:42:27 PM

Sounds like a fair request to me to be honest. I can see why you'd feel uncomfortable doing so, but they have to verify your identity some way Smiley
MrCrabs (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2015, 02:32:22 PM

Here's the thing,
Theoretically they have no information on me other than my email adddress. 
Me presenting a photo ID Doas not prove anything.

Secondly
In their Privacy policy They say they will Never ask for personal info over Email.

What is the best way to resolve this issue.

Thanks
SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2015, 07:12:44 PM

Here's the thing,

Secondly
In their Privacy policy They say they will Never ask for personal info over Email.

Thanks

Theoretically means you used fake address and name on the website? Its strange that they break their rules. The only thing they can proof with you holding your id is that they know there is a person that has an id. But you could have taken that picture from somewhere from the net.

It sounds a bit like you dont want to do it because you know it will bring trouble to you. You spend so much time on avoiding it too. Normally one would give in when it becomes to stressfull. Am i wrong?

MrCrabs (OP)

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 04:34:59 AM

Here's the thing,

Secondly

Thanks

Theoretically means you used fake address and name on the website? Its strange that they break their rules. The only thing they can proof with you holding your id is that they know there is a person that has an id. But you could have taken that picture from somewhere from the net.

It sounds a bit like you dont want to do it because you know it will bring trouble to you. You spend so much time on avoiding it too. Normally one would give in when it becomes to stressfull. Am i wrong?

When I signed up I gave them just my first name and my email address. They have no other personal information.
Like i said before I still have login access. Im not trying to hide anything. I just want to find a solution to a problem. That doesn't
involve me putting my Passport or drivers licence online for all and sundry to see.
SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2015, 07:36:53 AM

Here's the thing,

Secondly

Thanks

When I signed up I gave them just my first name and my email address. They have no other personal information.
Like i said before I still have login access. Im not trying to hide anything. I just want to find a solution to a problem. That doesn't
involve me putting my Passport or drivers licence online for all and sundry to see.

Then they most probably want to check if your name on the ID matches your name in their system only. It might be hard for a hacker to find an ID that has exactly your name on it.

You might try to send an ID where you blackened out your address and other numbers that could identify you. So that they see the data they already know and maybe your picture since they wont accept it for sure when the picture is black.

Might be worth a try.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: