Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:46:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Someone or some group is disturbed by Bitcoin. Vandalism on Wikipedia.  (Read 3285 times)
Atlas (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 04:44:10 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitcoin
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Bitcoin&action=history

People have been adding statements such as "Not a real currency". Additionally, someone felt the need to include every exchange hacking in existence on the Bitcoin article as if Bitcoin is flawed.

Tell me, why are people so bothered by Bitcoin now?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 04:48:42 PM

Who knows but this is an incorrect statement:

"In June 2011, Mt. Gox, the most popular BitCoin exchange at that time, has been compromised, affecting accounts with equivalent of more than USD 8'750'000. It has resulted in a severe drop in Bitcoin exchange rates."

I think Mt. Gox only lost 1000 BTC in the incident due to withdraw limit safeguards.
phatsphere

Activity: 763
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 04:51:16 PM

Look at the peak in the stats of this month: http://stats.grok.se/en/201209/Bitcoin

... attracting all sorts of "experts" for sure.
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2012, 01:56:26 AM

I think people are intrinsically repulsed by the concept of intrinsically worthless money...they just don't realize that that is precisely what they use...people don't quite see that Bitcoin, while still intrinsically worthless, can't be created ad infinitum.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
salty

Activity: 562
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 02:06:46 AM

Bitcoin is a distributed electronic cash protocol and virtual comedy.

I must admit to lols when I read that.
bitcoinBull
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

rippleFanatic

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 03:52:49 AM

All the press from the Romney taxes hoax, obviously.

College of Bucking Bulls Knowledge
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2012, 04:11:40 AM

These people hate Bitcoin for the same reasons they hate gold, Ayn Rand, Ron Paul, and libertarians.

They know they are second-handers.  They know they are parasitic leeches.  They know they are useless tax eaters, living off the productivity of virtuous rational value holders.

They hate anything and anyone that threatens to dispel the illusion that they are moral, and superior to their betters via the sanction of the victim and death worship of altruism.

They know their time is limited, and the day of reckoning draws nigh.  They know they will perish when the IRS agents' US dollar paychecks cease and the welfare checks stop.

They hate this reality, and will strain with every misguided ounce gram of self-preservation to prevent or delay the inevitable.

They are ashamed of their own worthlessness, and have created this entire world order dedicated to hiding their shortcomings behind a tissue of lies and a wall of coercion.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
totaleclipseofthebank

Activity: 451
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 04:15:31 AM

These people hate Bitcoin for the same reasons they hate gold, Ayn Rand, Ron Paul, and libertarians.

They know they are second-handers.  They know they are parasitic leeches.  They know they are useless tax eaters, living off the productivity of virtuous rational value holders.

They hate anything and anyone that threatens to dispel the illusion that they are moral, and superior to their betters via the sanction of the victim and death worship of altruism.

They know their time is limited, and the day of reckoning draws nigh.  They know they will perish when the IRS agents' US dollar paychecks cease and the welfare checks stop.

They hate this reality, and will strain with every misguided ounce gram of self-preservation to prevent or delay the inevitable.

They are ashamed of their own worthlessness, and have created this entire world order dedicated to hiding their shortcomings behind a tissue of lies and a wall of coercion.

B I T C O I N T A L K

ApeSwap.
The next-gen AMM,
Staking and Farming
Protocol on BSC
           ▄██▄
          ██████
          ██████
          ██████ ▄▄███▄
          █████
███▀ ▀▀█
    ▄█████████████▌    ▀█
   ██▀  ▀█████████▄     ▀█
  ██      █████████▄
 ▄█▀       █████████▄
▀▀          ▀█████████▄
              ▀█████████▄
                ▀█████████▄
                   ▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
Stake now
for over 900% APR!
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
GernMiester

Activity: 285
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 01:28:47 PM

Big deal.. tools who thing their gubernment prints money and gives it value are posting of halftruthapedia. YAWN!
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2012, 03:22:27 PM

Added my bit. Let's see how long it lasts.
Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1000

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 03:51:33 PM

What I would like to know is why are people allowed to revive the usernames of members who have been banned, like the name "Atlas" ?

I see the potential for not only confusion but abuse.     Huh
FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 03:52:57 PM

What I would like to know is why are people allowed to revive the usernames of members who have been banned, like the name "Atlas" ?

Atlas was let back in by the admins.
Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1000

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 03:57:07 PM

And Immanuel Go as well?     Undecided
FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 04:01:55 PM

And Immanuel Go as well?     Undecided
He was only allowed to have 1 account. That was the deal..

Atlas?
Strider Hiryu

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 07:24:39 PM

This is awesome.

As for the OP, it's not even vandalism, it's Wikipedia working as intended.  The coterie running things over there kept Bitcoin off Wikipedia for a very long time (you might be able to google the record of that drama).

Things like the debate over global warming are purged, and Wikipedia presents one side of an argument as 'consensus'.  What Wikipedia's insistence on 'consensus' means is that only one view will ever be presented and the most aggressive group purges all dissent.  And the most aggressive group over there is an authoritarian left-wing - that hates sound money.  Knowledge is power and their goal is to limit and shape everyone else's.  NPOV is of course totally Orwellian, they've simply declared their POV as 'neutral'.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2012, 09:10:07 PM
Last edit: September 13, 2012, 11:42:23 PM by Rassah

Re - Wikipedia: the quote "Facts have a liberal bias" comes to mind...
Tyrion

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 09:14:12 PM

It makes me wonder... could we pay people in bitcoin to curate bitcoin related pages? It could certainly help with our PR.
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2012, 11:23:00 PM

Things like the debate over global warming are purged, and Wikipedia presents one side of an argument as 'consensus'.  What Wikipedia's insistence on 'consensus' means is that only one view will ever be presented and the most aggressive group purges all dissent.  And the most aggressive group over there is an authoritarian left-wing - that hates sound money.  Knowledge is power and their goal is to limit and shape everyone else's.  NPOV is of course totally Orwellian, they've simply declared their POV as 'neutral'.

Wikipedia may have a left wing bent to it.  If you don't like it, participate in it and if that does not work start your own.  The wikipedia people are even kind enough to give you all of the tools for free!   You can even with a little more effort populate it with the current version from wikipedia, lock it so only you and people with opinions you like can edit it, and create your own version of the truth.

I have disagreements with how they operate and therefore do not contribute, but in general they are a valuable source of information.

(que all of the users who will quote errors in wikipedia.....)

kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 11:29:40 PM

Wikipedia may have a left wing bent to it.  If you don't like it, participate in it and if that does not work start your own.  The wikipedia people are even kind enough to give you all of the tools for free!   You can even with a little more effort populate it with the current version from wikipedia, lock it so only you and people with opinions you like can edit it, and create your own version of the truth.

I have disagreements with how they operate and therefore do not contribute, but in general they are a valuable source of information.

(que all of the users who will quote errors in wikipedia.....)

[/quote]

They are also the most increasingly dysfunctional bureaucratic organization known to mankind. Yes, they produce good work, but their glory day is long past.

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 03:51:38 AM

Things like the debate over global warming are purged, and Wikipedia presents one side of an argument as 'consensus'.

The common case in the real world is that one side of an argument does indeed have 'consensus'.  More often than not 'consensus' indicates a more solid argument.  Sometimes not, but in the cases of the generally spherical shape of planet earth and anthropomorphic climate change it is pretty clearly true.

What Wikipedia's insistence on 'consensus' means is that only one view will ever be presented and the most aggressive group purges all dissent.  And the most aggressive group over there is an authoritarian left-wing - that hates sound money.  Knowledge is power and their goal is to limit and shape everyone else's.  NPOV is of course totally Orwellian, they've simply declared their POV as 'neutral'.

The two annoyances I've had with Wikipedia are when a group of editors were caught red handed trying to color Zionist projects in the Middle East favorably, and when an editor was extraordinarily heavy-handed in making sure that information about strategic failure to deliver (aka, 'naked short selling') was minimized and controlled.  Neither of these are remotely left wing.  I'm a hard core lefty, and most of the Wikipedia stuff seems pretty even to me.  Plus people can challenge info they don't like and readers can make up their own minds.  Usually...I guess...never tried it.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: