Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:38:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GPU mining question.  (Read 1089 times)
sLide. (OP)

Activity: 170
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 07:06:44 PM

The 5800 series is highly recommended?  Why?

If I'm looking at GPU mining, what should I look for?  Stream cores?  Memory bandwidth?  etc...

What makes a GPU great at mining?  Thanks!

Aim - Slide.0
1J6UeiXtBYXmpA6uajRs3aJpUD1Tsj1CF3 - Tips?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 07:11:08 PM

I strongly recommend you do a lot of research into FPGA, ASICs, profit estimates if difficulty increases by say 500%, and the 25 BTC subsidy reduction (in ~90 days).

To answer your direct question.  The 5000 series is/was preferred because its architecture is well suited for the high IntOps that are needed for mining.
In mining all that matters is number of stream processors * clock.  Bandwidth, memory, PCIe slot version, none of that matters.

Now you can't compare SP from one architecture to another (i.e. 5000 series vs 7000 series) that is one of the reasons why the 5000 series WERE in demand.  SP per SP and clock per clock they had higher performance.

Speaking as someone with over 10GH/s on quad 5970s rigs they are operating on borrowed time.   It is only a matter of time before they are no longer economically viable.  Will it be 3 months, 6 months, 9 months?  Who knows I no longer even care to speculate.  It will happen when it happens but I can be "cool" with that because my rigs were paid for a long time ago and each extra month I get is just pure profit.  Obviously 9 months is better than 3 but even if it is 1 I will be fine.

Buying GPU now could be very risky for very little potential profit.
sLide. (OP)

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 07:17:24 PM

I've invested in BFL's ASIC platform.

Thanks for giving your feedback on my question.  You wouldn't happen to have any technical doc's that explain the 5xxx arch and why that's desired for bitcoin. Just looking for a very in-depth read.  Thanks!

Any information what IntOps means?  Internal operations?

Aim - Slide.0
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 07:19:21 PM

You wouldn't happen to have any technical doc's that explain the 5xxx arch and why that's desired for bitcoin.

- http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Why_a_GPU_mines_faster_than_a_CPU#Why_are_AMD_GPUs_faster_than_Nvidia_GPUs.3F

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

sLide. (OP)

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 07:29:22 PM

You wouldn't happen to have any technical doc's that explain the 5xxx arch and why that's desired for bitcoin.

- http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Why_a_GPU_mines_faster_than_a_CPU#Why_are_AMD_GPUs_faster_than_Nvidia_GPUs.3F

Thank you, this will be a great start point for me.

Aim - Slide.0
tacotime
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 08:14:00 PM

FWIW, I bought 7950s a week ago for a large mining rig to mine litecoin.  While bitcoin may quickly move to ASIC mining, litecoin is unlikely to in the near future and has been profitable for me to mine for the past 10 months.

I'm hoarding all the LTC I can right now because I believe as soon as ASICs come to dominate bitcoin the value of LTC will increase by an order of magnitude or more.

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
Photon939

Activity: 452
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 07:11:50 PM

FWIW, I bought 7950s a week ago for a large mining rig to mine litecoin.  While bitcoin may quickly move to ASIC mining, litecoin is unlikely to in the near future and has been profitable for me to mine for the past 10 months.

I'm hoarding all the LTC I can right now because I believe as soon as ASICs come to dominate bitcoin the value of LTC will increase by an order of magnitude or more.

I would think you will see the opposite. Once ASICs arrive and the bitcoin difficulty increases by an order of magnitude, if people do switch over to mining litecoins, then you will have a sudden increase of selling pressure for litecoins, driving the price down.

If this occurs, it would be wise to sell your litecoins before ASICs arrive and not after Smiley
meebs

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 06:42:30 PM

I would think you will see the opposite. Once ASICs arrive and the bitcoin difficulty increases by an order of magnitude, if people do switch over to mining litecoins, then you will have a sudden increase of selling pressure for litecoins, driving the price down.

If this occurs, it would be wise to sell your litecoins before ASICs arrive and not after Smiley

Depends if people value a LTC more highly then or now. One's opinion is the gamble he decides to make.

Kind of like the question: "should I buy facebook stock now or later or never?".. nobody knows the future, one can just do their research and make the best guess available.

▄▄▄█████████████▄▄▄
           ▄████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████▄
        ▄██████▀▀             ▀▀██████▄
      ▄█████▀▀                    ▀▀█████▄
     █████▀                          ▀█████
    ████▀          ▄▄███████▄▄         ▀████
   ████▌        ▄██▀▀▀    ▀▀▀██▄        ▐████
  ████▌       ▄██▀            ▀██▄       ▐████
 ▐████       ██▀   ▄▄█▀▀▀█▄▄    ▀██       ████▌
 ████▌      ▐█▌   █▀  ▄▄   ▀▀             ▐████
▐████       ██  █▌  █▌ █████████████      ████▌
▐████       ██  ▐█  ▐█                     ████▌